Story Poster
Photo by Grand Canyon University Athletics
Oklahoma State Baseball

Oklahoma State Baseball Lands Grand Canyon Transfer

July 7, 2024

STILLWATER – Josh Holliday has added another transfer to the Oklahoma State baseball roster as Grand Canyon pitcher, Hunter Watkins, announced via social media his commitment to the Pokes.

Watkins checks in at 6-8, 235 pounds and is coming off his freshman season with the Lopes this past spring. He threw 47 innings, posting a 3.83 ERA with 47 strikeouts and 13 walks. He started four games in 18 appearances and limited opposing hitters to a .279 batting average.

Watkins also earned a WAC Pitcher of the Week honor back in May, throwing four shutout innings with eight strikeouts in a win over Utah Valley.

Originally out of Simi Valley, CA, and Grace Brethren HS, Watkins posted a 0.96 ERA as a senior, earning him the Tri-County League Pitcher of the Year award. He combined for 143 strikeouts between his junior and senior seasons, earning the Tri-County Pitcher of the Year his junior season as well.

Watkins marks the fifth transfer pick up for Holliday, joining fellow pitchers Tommy Allman out of Jacksonville, Harrison Bodendorf out of Hawaii and Mario Pesca from St. John’s. They also added Arkansas outfielder, Jayson Jones.

Discussion from...

Oklahoma State Baseball Lands Grand Canyon Transfer

2,333 Views | 9 Replies | Last: 2 mo ago by RowdyRawhide
RowdyRawhide
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Are the Cowboys developing pitchers that come to OSU out of high school like they should?
RodeoPoke
The "good" high school pitchers get drafted and go to the minors, or the opt for Juco so they can try to improve their draft status (or still attend a 4-year school).

There is no longer a need, and frankly no time to try and develop a kid from HS, IMO.

RowdyRawhide
The top high school pitchers have generally gone to the pros instead of college after graduation. You

cannot blame high school grads to take the up front signing bonus. This is especially so if a top prospect is

drafted in the first round of the MLB Draft.

The Cowboys top pitchers in 2024 transferred in from High Point, Central Florida JC, Penn State

and right field. Just looking at the facts.
RodeoPoke
RowdyRawhide said:

The top high school pitchers have generally gone to the pros instead of college after graduation. You

cannot blame high school grads to take the up front signing bonus. This is especially so if a top prospect is

drafted in the first round of the MLB Draft.

The Cowboys top pitchers in 2024 transferred in from High Point, Central Florida JC, Penn State

and right field. Just looking at the facts.
that's exactly what I said.

your question was about "HS, as we should", which I don't believe we do much of anymore.
RowdyRawhide
All top programs still have to recruit high school graduates. The majority of our players still come

directly from the high school ranks.

I believe we're lagging a little in the pitching department. Maybe the Cowboys need to land a few more

Blue Chip pitching recruits from that group.
RodeoPoke
RowdyRawhide said:

All top programs still have to recruit high school graduates. The majority of our players still come

directly from the high school ranks.

I believe we're lagging a little in the pitching department. Maybe the Cowboys need to land a few more

Blue Chip pitching recruits from that group.
I give, I have no idea what you're trying to say, we both just agreed that the plethora of HS blue chip pitching prospects either get drafted and go to the minors, or go to JUCO to try and improve their draft status.

RowdyRawhide
There are Blue Chip pitching prospects remaining after
the draft each year. Most of them end up on the LSU, Arkansas, Texas, Vanderbilt, Tennessee, Ol' Miss and
Florida's rosters. Cowboys need to get some of those.

Also Cowboys need Gabe Davis to break out to the upside next season!
RodeoPoke
RowdyRawhide said:

There are Blue Chip pitching prospects remaining after
the draft each year. Most of them end up on the LSU, Arkansas, Texas, Vanderbilt, Tennessee, Ol' Miss and
Florida's rosters. Cowboys need to get some of those.

and why exactly would that be better than taking experienced transfers like this year?

it's college baseball... it just sucks. If you get a pitcher like you describe, then they'll be gone in 2 years, same as if you brought in transfers.

besides, your statement is about equal to the football whine about needing more 5-star players or we won't ever be any good.
RowdyRawhide
Back to my original premise. Cowboys need to develop

their young pitchers!
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.