Story Poster
Photo by Oklahoma State Athletics
Oklahoma State Basketball

NCAA Denies Waiver for ULM Transfer Russell Harrison

September 19, 2022

STILLWATER – Oklahoma State will be playing the 2022-23 season with one less scholarship player as the NCAA has denied the waiver for ULM transfer Russell Harrison as he’s exhausted his NCAA eligibility. This was first reported by Marshall Scott of Pistols Firing.

Harrison committed to the Pokes back on May 9 and reported in June but was ultimately deemed ineligible over the summer.

According to the NCAA website, the issue with Harrison surrounds his five-year eligibility clock.

If you play at a Division I school, you have five-calendar years in which to play four seasons of competition. Your five-year clock starts when you enroll as a full-time student at any college. Thereafter, your clock continues, even if you spend an academic year in residence as a result of transferring; decide to redshirt, if you do not attend school or even if you go part time during your college career.

Harrison began his lengthy NCAA career at Wayland Baptist, an NAIA school, at the beginning of the 2016-17 season. He then sat out the next two seasons due to personal issues before landing at Clarendon College, a west Texas JUCO, where he earned NJCAA All-America honors before transferring to ULM, where he spent the next two seasons.

Harrison shot well from 3-point range while at ULM, shooting 38% from 3-point range this past season, while averaging 13.1 points and 5.5 rebounds per game.

While Oklahoma State needs three-point shooting and scoring to improve, this means Mike Boynton and Co. will use up two of the three scholarship reductions as determined by the NCAA sactions passed this past year. That leaves just one remaining scholarship to burn next season, giving the Pokes plenty of wiggle room in the 2024 recruiting class as there will be plenty of room.

Discussion from...

NCAA Denies Waiver for ULM Transfer Russell Harrison

3,177 Views | 6 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by Zach Lancaster
CaliforniaCowboy
How long do you want to ignore this user?
good lord, who in their right mind could ever have even thought this kid was eligible even in their wildest dreams.

5 year clock plus 1 covid season = 6

1 year NAIA
2 years sitting out
1 year JUCO
2 years ULM
------

I'm thinking that Coach Mike gives a scholly to one of the walk-ons... he's all about the kids, ya know.
Zach Lancaster
Staff
CaliforniaCowboy said:

good lord, who in their right mind could ever have even thought this kid was eligible even in their wildest dreams.

5 year clock plus 1 covid season = 6

1 year NAIA
2 years sitting out
1 year JUCO
2 years ULM
------

I'm thinking that Coach Mike gives a scholly to one of the walk-ons... he's all about the kids, ya know.
While that would certainly make for a good story, I really think they'll use this opportunity to burn two of three scholarships, leaving them with just one for next season. They're gonna have a lot of spots to fill next season and one less spot to fill, whether that be with true freshman or transfer, will certainly make things easier. Just my thoughts on things though.
CaliforniaCowboy
do they have to burn all 3 by next year? I thought this was the 1st year with 3 lost over 3 years.

Besides, I don't give him near as much credit as you do, he could have already burned the 3, but he didn't. He gave one to Little Country, and also gave one to the WalMart kid, what's his name. I could definitely see Weston Church getting one, or maybe Sager or Manzer.

We don't have that many potential spots open, do we? maybe Anderson and Harris, and the 2 grad transfers.

We have 2 commits already so if Coach can trick two more kids into coming (likely transfers), then all should be right with the world.

What did I miss there?

Zach Lancaster
Staff
CaliforniaCowboy said:

do they have to burn all 3 by next year? I thought this was the 1st year with 3 lost over 3 years.

Besides, I don't give him near as much credit as you do, he could have already burned the 3, but he didn't. He gave one to Little Country, and also gave one to the WalMart kid, what's his name. I could definitely see Weston Church getting one, or maybe Sager or Manzer.

We don't have that many potential spots open, do we? maybe Anderson and Harris, and the 2 grad transfers.

We have 2 commits already so if Coach can trick two more kids into coming (likely transfers), then all should be right with the world.

What did I miss there?

They don't have to burn all three by next year, but it would make a lot of sense to go ahead and burn two of them now. First, they're allotted 13 scholarships, MB has traditionally only play 10-11 players anyway. Last year for instance, Bernard Kouma and Woody Newton hardly saw the floor. While injury was involved, neither did Chris Harris or Donovan Williams.

Just looking at this year's roster, not including any potential transfers, OSU is set to lose six scholarship seniors: Avery, Chris Harris, Caleb Asberry (GR), Kalib Boone, Bernard Kouma and John-Michael Wright (GR). Then you have to factor in any possible transfers, which they lost four to the portal last year. Then on top of that, you have to potentially factor in if anyone decides to declare and leave early for the draft, which I think there's a really good chance Cisse declares.

They're currently sitting at three commits with Brandon Garrison, Jamyron Keller and Connor Dow. That still leaves at least three spots to fill, not including transfers.

I convinced myself while I was going through info and typing this out that it doesn't really matter if they burn two this year or not, or whether they give a scholly to a walk-on because MB has never used a full allotment of scholarships during his time, whether that means playing a guy or even using a scholarship. So, it doesn't really matter one way or the other, they're still going to have to bring in a large number of prospects.
CaliforniaCowboy
Zach Lancaster said:

Just looking at this year's roster, not including any potential transfers, OSU is set to lose six scholarship seniors: Avery, Chris Harris, Caleb Asberry (GR), Kalib Boone, Bernard Kouma and John-Michael Wright (GR). Then you have to factor in any possible transfers, which they lost four to the portal last year. Then on top of that, you have to potentially factor in if anyone decides to declare and leave early for the draft, which I think there's a really good chance Cisse declares.

They're currently sitting at three commits with Brandon Garrison, Jamyron Keller and Connor Dow. That still leaves at least three spots to fill, not including transfers.

you're counting a bit differently that I am, although both are just guesses with today's portal world.

Avery, Harris, Boone, Kouma and Wright all have their super senior seasons if they want to stay over... I think Harris and Wright have 2 years still.

I think Anderson, Thompson and Cisse will all test the NBA waters, but I don't think any go pro next year... if more than 2 do declare,(cause they ain't ready), then I'll start my official "Boynton's out the door clock"

most of the rest can't transfer, because they already transferred in, except for the freshman, and if they start leaving, then we have very deep troubles in Stilly.

It should be an interesting season... with some luck we might even make the Big Dance finally.... maybe
Zach Lancaster
Staff
CaliforniaCowboy said:

Zach Lancaster said:

you're counting a bit differently that I am, although both are just guesses with today's portal world.

Avery, Harris, Boone, Kouma and Wright all have their super senior seasons if they want to stay over... I think Harris and Wright have 2 years still.

I think Anderson, Thompson and Cisse will all test the NBA waters, but I don't think any go pro next year... if more than 2 do declare,(cause they ain't ready), then I'll start my official "Boynton's out the door clock"

most of the rest can't transfer, because they already transferred in, except for the freshman, and if they start leaving, then we have very deep troubles in Stilly.

It should be an interesting season... with some luck we might even make the Big Dance finally.... maybe

I forget COVID years are still a thing lol we're gonna be dealing with 24-25 year old hoopers in a few seasons. But you're right, it'll be interesting to see how everything plays out over the coming months with who decides to either try their hand in the draft, transfer or decide to come back for another season.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.