Story Poster
Photo by Pat Kinnison - Chief Photographer
Oklahoma State Football

More Updates on How Oklahoma State Measures Up in TV Eyeballs

July 10, 2022
1,707

STILLWATER – The pause is on with conference realignment, but I truly believe that the building of two super conferences in the SEC and the Big Ten is not finished. You will see more schools move to what is now college football and college athletics penthouse in the SEC and Big Ten. How many? That is the central question. I think the first level is getting the two leagues to 20 with symetrical divisions of 10 teams in each. It is that mini NFL-style format so many have projected.

To continue reading, you must be a Pokes Report Premium subscriber.
Discussion from...

More Updates on How Oklahoma State Measures Up in TV Eyeballs

1,598 Views | 16 Replies | Last: 2 mo ago by NJAggie
OctaviusRex
How long do you want to ignore this user?
I'm sorry Robert, I really want to be optimistic but reading this quote from CBS below, how can I be?

I feel like Oklahoma State is just flat out screwed.

From CBS's Dennis Dodd:

"The network was telling us without telling us that the world wouldn't end if the likes of Oklahoma State, Iowa State and TCU, among others, did not get a chance to finish in the top four of the College Football Playoff. The question was further answered when the Pac-12 was marginalized last week.

Ratings matter. They matter more when a 9-3 Oklahoma from the SEC might have a better chance of getting into a playoff than a 12-1 Oklahoma State from the Big 12."
GumbyFromPokeyLand
How long do you want to ignore this user?
I say the B12 should add (if possible) Oregon, Wash, Utah and Colo and call it good. With a new 16-team B12 with likes OSU, Ore, Wash, Itah, Bay, etc…, we'll get a spot at the CFP table, and, a decent TV contract.
Wardawg
How long do you want to ignore this user?
I agree with Gumby.
How bout a simple poll to see which of the two factions is larger?
I think that all would agree that either of the two would be fantastic compared to the catastrophic existence of gettin neither. (No route to a big-boy Nattie)
As long as we have a shot at the CFP we would be fine. Hell, in any scenario we'll always have far less money than the Blue Bloods.
Being an elite in a corrupt system is really nothing to brag about. It just means your okay with winning at any cost.
Joe Khatib
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Dennis Dodd is all over the place with his reporting!!! I hate to say this because they can be pretentious and self righteous but I would probably trust ESPNs reporting on these topics than Dodd!
NJAggie
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Well I don't think the SEC is adding anyone soon, and the B1G has announced they're done for now since ND said no. So more expansion by those two is in the future.

OSU doesn't have $70M worth of value right now, but could in the future. We need to focus on keeping the conference together, and adding any pieces that might be valuable. CBS seems to have interest in a 16 or better yet 18 team Big XII. This would be the way to pull those teams over With that amount of inventory CBS has a great shot at getting good games every week. And they'd be able to highlight the better former PAC teams in that 3:30 timeslot. It worked for the SEC why not for the Big XII? If we can get that, and then win enough games and some conference championships. Make some CFP appearances, and we'd be in much better shape to move up.

The CFP is going to expand, and it's going to have slots for all the A5/4 champions and at least one G5 champ. The leaders see that as good. A two conference playoff would be watched by fewer people and need fewer slots. The SEC & B1G schools know that even if their fans and the media don't. Also ND staying independent is a big plus in this as they are a powerful voice for that outcome if greed stupidly showed its head. Not to mention the fact that as far as I know it still takes at least all the A5 conferences and a majority of the G5 to approve the playoff structure and payout plan.
osucowboymatt
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Using this scheme, Clemson, FSU, and Miami all get the benefit of playing each other as generally the top teams of the ACC. Subtract those 6 views for the same period and the gap is minimal.
CaliforniaCowboy
How long do you want to ignore this user?
osucowboymatt said:

Using this scheme, Clemson, FSU, and Miami all get the benefit of playing each other as generally the top teams of the ACC. Subtract those 6 views for the same period and the gap is minimal.
it's just bad math...

put OSU in the Mt West (or our new B12 conference) and our number would not be what they are.

a "good" analysis would not take simple numbers like Robert posted, and then pretend that they mean something that they do not. Good analysis would also look at the CONTEXT in which those games were played, including ranking at that time, position in the conference standings, and network time slot that the contests were held.

With out context those numbers are nothing more than a marginal guide.

We're not in a big TV market, we don't have a large fan base, and we won't be getting any prime network TV slots.



NJAggie
How long do you want to ignore this user?
So much wrong there. We do learn a lot about things from these numbers. We draw well on the cable channels no matter who we play outside of KU. We draw well on network TV even when we don't play OU or UT. We have good support in markets that have a higher percentage of people watching cfb. We don't do so well with the marginal fan that just turns on ABC.

Our new contract will have network slots. the question is how many. We will have a chance without OU & UT in the league blocking us and everyone else. We usually have those two schools get the two network slots unless they're off or playing KU. So we have had limited opportunities to stand out. I look forward to seeing what we can do, and what the new package looks like. I think we'll thrive in the new league.
CaliforniaCowboy
How long do you want to ignore this user?
NJAggie said:

So much wrong there. We do learn a lot about things from these numbers. We draw well on the cable channels no matter who we play outside of KU. We draw well on network TV even when we don't play OU or UT. We have good support in markets that have a higher percentage of people watching cfb. We don't do so well with the marginal fan that just turns on ABC.

Our new contract will have network slots. the question is how many. We will have a chance without OU & UT in the league blocking us and everyone else. We usually have those two schools get the two network slots unless they're off or playing KU. So we have had limited opportunities to stand out. I look forward to seeing what we can do, and what the new package looks like. I think we'll thrive in the new league.
stop. stop. stop. stop... and LISTEN.

we do well BECAUSE OF THE CONFERENCE WE"RE IN....... it's bad math to just remove the OU/UT games and call everything else equal.... that's like averaging averages... it's bad math.

YOU HAVE NO IDEA WHAT OUR NEW CONTRACT WILL OR WON'T HAVE. No idea.

There is zero assurance that we will have any "network" slots. NONE. NO ASSURANCE. It might be ESPN only, it might be Fox Sports only, it might be neither.... no clue about CBS or NBC... they have said nothing.

it's not a question of "how many" is it a question of "any".

I love your wishful thinking but that's all you're offering... hopes and wishes.
NJAggie
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Man I'd hate to be as defeatest and negative as you are. Yes our league has an impact on our ratings, and it will continue to have an impact on our ratings. And the past ratings are indicative of what you will be looking for, and it's what TV is looking at.

And no league is locked out of network access, it's how many games you get guaranteed that sets your rates. The B1G and SEC aren't getting all those slots, because not all their games are worth being on them. So there are going to be network slots for the Big XII, The ACC, and probably even the PAC getting a few if they stick together. With an expanded playoff, which is extremely likely, we'll see every Big XII championship game being for a playoff berth. We will be playing in more games that matter in the new league than we ever got to having to wait for UT & OU to mess up.
GumbyFromPokeyLand
How long do you want to ignore this user?
"In the midst of order and reason lives pure insanity".

- author unknown
CaliforniaCowboy
How long do you want to ignore this user?
NJAggie said:

Man I'd hate to be as defeatest and negative as you are. Yes our league has an impact on our ratings, and it will continue to have an impact on our ratings. And the past ratings are indicative of what you will be looking for, and it's what TV is looking at.

And no league is locked out of network access, it's how many games you get guaranteed that sets your rates. The B1G and SEC aren't getting all those slots, because not all their games are worth being on them. So there are going to be network slots for the Big XII, The ACC, and probably even the PAC getting a few if they stick together. With an expanded playoff, which is extremely likely, we'll see every Big XII championship game being for a playoff berth. We will be playing in more games that matter in the new league than we ever got to having to wait for UT & OU to mess up.
I am neither defeatist, nor negative, I am an eternal optimist.

I'm simply pointing out that the numbers are being misused by the media types, and in proxy by the fans.

How exactly do you think that teams or leagues "get" network TV slots? Through contracts? If ABC/Espn does not sign the Big12, then where exactly are those ABC slots coming from? Remember all those times that the B12 games were on CBS or NBC? We weren't. ABC/ESPN had the contract.

An expanded playoff, if it happens, will REDUCE our coverage, not improve it, because so many dang teams will be getting in already that our regular season and conf champ games will be essentially meaningless to the rest of the college football world.

it's simply math with a touch of logic.
NJAggie
How long do you want to ignore this user?
CaliforniaCowboy said:

NJAggie said:

Man I'd hate to be as defeatest and negative as you are. Yes our league has an impact on our ratings, and it will continue to have an impact on our ratings. And the past ratings are indicative of what you will be looking for, and it's what TV is looking at.

And no league is locked out of network access, it's how many games you get guaranteed that sets your rates. The B1G and SEC aren't getting all those slots, because not all their games are worth being on them. So there are going to be network slots for the Big XII, The ACC, and probably even the PAC getting a few if they stick together. With an expanded playoff, which is extremely likely, we'll see every Big XII championship game being for a playoff berth. We will be playing in more games that matter in the new league than we ever got to having to wait for UT & OU to mess up.
I am neither defeatist, nor negative, I am an eternal optimist.

I'm simply pointing out that the numbers are being misused by the media types, and in proxy by the fans.

How exactly do you think that teams or leagues "get" network TV slots? Through contracts? If ABC/Espn does not sign the Big12, then where exactly are those ABC slots coming from? Remember all those times that the B12 games were on CBS or NBC? We weren't. ABC/ESPN had the contract.

An expanded playoff, if it happens, will REDUCE our coverage, not improve it, because so many dang teams will be getting in already that our regular season and conf champ games will be essentially meaningless to the rest of the college football world.

it's simply math with a touch of logic.
And the defeatism continues.

I'm not sure if ESPN/ABC will bid on the new contract, but it sounds like FOX will, and there are other places like CBS that might just want a league with a national footprint for their network package. FOX & ABC are not putting 3 B1G & SEC games (out of the 8 they have) on network every week. CBS might choose to buy a Big XII package for decent money, but less than they'd have to pay FOX for B1G games.

The playoffs are most likely going to include slots for conference champs and the Big XII will have that so we will get at least one in every year, and could get more depending on how things play out. Last year the league would have gotten 2 in a 12 team playoff.

So yes our profile should grow in the new league not shrink.
GumbyFromPokeyLand
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Here's something to keep your eye on as we approach the B12 pursuing a new tv deal:

ESPN has: The new super-sized SEC deal, and a very cheap (in relative terms) ACC deal through 2035. Unknown whether they'll be interested in a new PAC deal.

FOX has: the new super-sized B1G deal, is not interested in a PAC deal, but reportedly interested in a new B12 deal.

CBS has:the soon to expire SEC deal along with some G5 deals. Are they interested in CFP contending teams (the B12) for new content?

If Fox desires more than the B1G for quality content, maybe they'll step-up with a nice proposal? Would seem CBS has nowhere else to (safely) go but the B12 for quality content. If ESPN wants to stay the "leader" in college sports, would also seem a new B12, contract, or a few B12 teams to the SEC is where they'll get their edge.

I think the B12 (in particular OSU given our viewership) is in a great position.

CaliforniaCowboy
How long do you want to ignore this user?
well at least you've moved your dial to if and might and could... which is roughly what I said to begin with.

NJAggie
How long do you want to ignore this user?
I totally agree. FOX has sent numerous public signals that they want to keep the Big XII. We could well be the target for CBS, and if we wind up there we'll be making as much or more than we are now.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1
 
×
subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.