Story Poster
Photo by William Purnell-USA TODAY Sports
Oklahoma State Basketball

Report: Bedlam Basketball "On Track" To Be Played This Season

June 10, 2024
1,639

STILLWATER – It appears non-conference Bedlam basketball is going to be played this season. According to a report from CBS Sports’ Jon Rothstein, Steve Lutz said that while no contracts have been signed yet, Bedlam basketball is on track to be played at the Paycom Center in OKC in mid-December.

One of the biggest questions about scheduling going into the offseason, in all sports in Stillwater, is whether or not Bedlam games will still be played with Oklahoma making the move the SEC. 

The general consensus was most, if not all of the Olympic sports would still play the Bedlam series. It makes the most sense for basketball, baseball, softball, wrestling, men’s and women’s tennis and soccer to continue to play the Bedlam series. 

The Cowboys and Cowgirls have had a lot of success in the Bedlam series in recent years and most OSU and OU fans still really care about the games. In most sports, it’s a decent television draw, both regionally and nationally and because of that fact, plus it’s a game/match that can be played either on each campus, but could also be played in either Oklahoma City or Tulsa.

Plus, the fact most Olympic sports have several non-conference games to have to schedule, you’ll see the series continue. 

Discussion from...

Report: Bedlam Basketball "On Track" To Be Played This Season

1,438 Views | 11 Replies | Last: 29 days ago by RodeoPoke
RodeoPoke
How long do you want to ignore this user?
that suks
Joe Khatib
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Personally, I have gotten to the point where I don't really give a damn if we play them or not in anything!!! They choose to run off to the SEC so let them worry about that!!!
Zach Lancaster
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Staff
While I agree to some extent, there's just too much money involved for Bedlam not to be played. And honestly, I could see it being played in football before the end of this decade. Again, just too much money and if TV wants it played, which I think will happen, OSU will gladly play the game for millions of payout.
RodeoPoke
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Zach Lancaster said:

While I agree to some extent, there's just too much money involved for Bedlam not to be played. And honestly, I could see it being played in football before the end of this decade. Again, just too much money and if TV wants it played, which I think will happen, OSU will gladly play the game for millions of payout.
I respectfully disagree. Yes, there is a lot of money to be made with that game, BUT (big butt) we could do just as well playing any other blue blood program.. maybe even more money.

There is nothing positive to be gained by playing them - only negatives, and money is not the excuse that we're going to fall back on.

We can make tons of money playing somebody else. Money is simply an excuse for those with little backbone to stand up and be counted for who WE ARE.
Tulsa Booster
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Don't kid yourself. Right or wrong, money runs everything in college football. If the networks think we can make more money playing Oklahoma than another high profile major, we'll play Oklahoma. I'd prefer to play someone else but how the fans feel won't be a part of the equation.
RodeoPoke
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Tulsa Booster said:

Don't kid yourself. Right or wrong, money runs everything in college football. If the networks think we can make more money playing Oklahoma than another high profile major, we'll play Oklahoma. I'd prefer to play someone else but how the fans feel won't be a part of the equation.
where in the world did all of the "we just give up" fans come from?

If we the fans insist to the Administration that we don't want to play the goons, then it will not happen.

Bank on it.

But you have to actually want that first, and not just constantly throw your hands up in defeat, and accept your perceived fate


the Aggies did it to Texas, we can do it to the goons, it can be done and has been done... our fans have to first be committed to what they want
Zach Lancaster
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Staff
RodeoPoke said:

Tulsa Booster said:

Don't kid yourself. Right or wrong, money runs everything in college football. If the networks think we can make more money playing Oklahoma than another high profile major, we'll play Oklahoma. I'd prefer to play someone else but how the fans feel won't be a part of the equation.
where in the world did all of the "we just give up" fans come from?

If we the fans insist to the Administration that we don't want to play the goons, then it will not happen.

Bank on it.

But you have to actually want that first, and not just constantly throw your hands up in defeat, and accept your perceived fate


the Aggies did it to Texas, we can do it to the goons, it can be done and has been done... our fans have to first be committed to what they want
While I understand your thought process, Texas A&M is in a different realm of money than Oklahoma State. Yes, the fans absolutely matter the administration, but if ESPN comes knocking with $15 million a year for this game to be played, OSU will play it.
RodeoPoke
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Zach Lancaster said:

RodeoPoke said:

Tulsa Booster said:

Don't kid yourself. Right or wrong, money runs everything in college football. If the networks think we can make more money playing Oklahoma than another high profile major, we'll play Oklahoma. I'd prefer to play someone else but how the fans feel won't be a part of the equation.
where in the world did all of the "we just give up" fans come from?

If we the fans insist to the Administration that we don't want to play the goons, then it will not happen.

Bank on it.

But you have to actually want that first, and not just constantly throw your hands up in defeat, and accept your perceived fate


the Aggies did it to Texas, we can do it to the goons, it can be done and has been done... our fans have to first be committed to what they want
While I understand your thought process, Texas A&M is in a different realm of money than Oklahoma State. Yes, the fans absolutely matter the administration, but if ESPN comes knocking with $15 million a year for this game to be played, OSU will play it.
but they won't. They can make more money with OU playing practically any B1G team. (or ACC).

little ole Okie State Bedlam is not that big of a money draw, especially now that is has zero conference implications.

Bedlam did not even make the list of top 25 viewership games in 2023

Top 25 games of the 2023 season
https://www.sportsmediawatch.com/college-football-tv-ratings/

I believe this is correct - the most view Bedlam game recently was rivalry week 2021, when they were trying to keep us out of the conf champ game.

Oklahoma-Oklahoma State on ABC is most-viewed Bedlam game since 2013

ABC's Saturday Night Football featuring Oklahoma at Oklahoma State averaged 6,486,000 viewers, the most-viewed Bedlam game since 2013 and the third-best of this rivalry (behind 2008 and 2013). The audience peaked with 7.7 million viewers in the final 15 minutes and helped ABC win the night as the most-viewed network in primetime among all demos. ESPN/ABC has now won the night for four straight college football Saturdays.

https://espnpressroom.com/us/press-releases/2021/12/bedlam-college-gameday-in-ann-arbor-highlight-espn-and-abcs-rivalry-week-viewership-wins/

I know that it is safe to say that we would not be playing OU on rivalry weekend, nor would we be playing them at a time of year when anything meaningful was at stake.

(I tried to look up how much we were paid for the GameDay opening of JerryWorld 2014 game against Florida State, and also the neutral site game against Mississippi State, but I could not find any information on payouts)

Cdub234
How long do you want to ignore this user?
There's too much at stake in football when 1 loss can cost a team a chance at the CFP. Let's worry about winning our conference games and not schedule an SEC team yearly for a non conference game that's likely 50/50 to win - at best. No thanks.
Danny Deck
How long do you want to ignore this user?
The first Football opportunity looks to be 2031. We don't have a P4 opponent scheduled for 2030 or 2031, but OU has Nebraska in 2030. Maybe they would schedule two P4 opponents in non-con, but I doubt it. I don't think will either. So it all comes down to getting one of us to schedule for that date, then we're in the clear until 2036, and who knows what CFB will even look like then.
RodeoPoke
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Danny Deck said:

The first Football opportunity looks to be 2031. We don't have a P4 opponent scheduled for 2030 or 2031, but OU has Nebraska in 2030. Maybe they would schedule two P4 opponents in non-con, but I doubt it. I don't think will either. So it all comes down to getting one of us to schedule for that date, then we're in the clear until 2036, and who knows what CFB will even look like then.
We have plenty of great series lined up (Arkansas, Oregon, Alabama, Nebraska) we don't need to try and fit the goons into 2030-2031 especially if they already have the Bugeaters in 2030.

We need a one-for-one with a good team that will draw great interest, maybe an ACC team (isn't SMU a P4 team now? LOL)

https://fbschedules.com/ncaa/oklahoma-state/


BESIDES - this article was ABOUT BASKETBALL, being played this December.

(which I am also opposed to, mostly because it's in OKC, so there is no real financial incentive - or any other incentive for that matter. So many fans do not want that game, the administration should honor the wishes of their fans and pursue some other games)

Bedlam baseball I would be open too, if the games are played at Tulsa and Bricktown. but only slightly open
Refresh
Page 1 of 1
 
×
subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.