Story Poster
Photo by Rick Osentoski-USA TODAY Sports
Oklahoma State Football

Oklahoma State Finds Transfer Portal Quarterback Match in Alan Bowman

January 9, 2023

PUBLISHER’S NOTE: Alaan Bowman will be on Sports Talk with Robert Allen and Friends on Triple Play Sports Radio at 10:05 a.m. Tuesday morning Jan. 10.

STILLWATER – Oklahoma State has found its older, experienced quarterback out of the transfer portal and he is so familiar that he has lit it up throwing the ball twice before inside Boone Pickens Stadium. Former Texas Tech passer Alan Bowman has been at the University of Michigan the past two seasons and the 6-3, 216-pound Bowman has launched all of 11 passes in those two seasons. He did complete eight of those for 69-yards with one touchdown and one interception thrown as a Wolverine. 

Bowman, who is 22-years-old and has just one season of eligibility remaining visited Oklahoma State and Stillwater on Saturday (Jan. 7) and looked around. As mentioned, while at Texas Tech, Bowman had a pair of eventful Saturdays in Stillwater. 

Pokes Report
Bowman at Texas Tech.

In 2018, his freshman season, he completed 35-of-46 passing for 397-yards and two touchdowns and two interceptions in a 41-17 blowout win by the Red Raiders. Bowman missed competing against the Cowboys in 2019 when he suffered an early season injury at Arizona. In 2020 he returned to Stillwater and while the Cowboys won a track meet 50-44, Bowman completed 31-of-46 passes for 384--yards and three touchdowns with one interception.

To summarize, Bowman in two games at Boone Pickens Stadium was 1-1 in wins/losses and he threw for 781-yards with five touchdowns and three interceptions.

The native of Grapevine, Texas that came out in the class of 2018 has career numbers of 478-of-713 passing for 4,329-yards with 33 touchdowns and 17 interceptions. 

In his time in Lubbock, he completed 478-of- 702 passing for 4,280-yards with 32 touchdowns and 16 interceptions. 

His rushing numbers are much with 46-carries for -9-yards and two touchdowns. 

Bowman will have to shake off some game rust as he has played in only four games over the past two seasons, but he has played in and started most of 19 games while at Texas Tech. His record as a starting quarterback is 9-10. 

Discussion from...

Oklahoma State Finds Transfer Portal Quarterback Match in Alan Bowman

11,197 Views | 43 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by GumbyFromPokeyLand
GumbyFromPokeyLand
How long do you want to ignore this user?
MycatToby said:

GumbyFromPokeyLand said:

MycatToby said:

Honestly, I think this is a bit of a disaster

I guess Toby has a plan?

My ideal handling of the circumstances would be to bring SS back. I am very low on Bowman, I don't think he'll elevate a team to a win total that makes it worth not playing Rangel to get him to Gundy earmarked 20 game mark faster.

Of course if you bring Sanders back, next year every player will want to go in the portal seeking either a better opportunity or NIL$$$. If it's not there, they'll just want to come back. How the heck can a coaching staff manage that nightmare?
MycatToby
NJAggie said:

MycatToby said:

GumbyFromPokeyLand said:

MycatToby said:

I guess Toby has a plan?

My ideal handling of the circumstances would be to bring SS back. I am very low on Bowman, I don't think he'll elevate a team to a win total that makes it worth not playing Rangel to get him to Gundy earmarked 20 game mark faster.
Well unfortunately that option is really off the table. You now have to try and win now every year. Taking a rebuilding year is just not possible. We lost what 17 players going 7-6, how many do you think bolt if we go 5-7 or 4-8?

It seems from the outside, I am someone with no inside knowledge, that it is off the table because we are choosing it to be off the table and that decision is something I think is worth voicing opposition to.

I get what you are saying, but my initial reaction is that I don't think it is a for sure thing that Alan is 10% better than Garrett. Alan has been a very long cold cfb winter, and it feels like many are okay with this because his only good game in the last 3 years came in a game against us. If it's within that 10% threshold, then Alan isn't enough to be boosting the team by a couple of wins, leading me to rather play Garrett for his experience anyway. I would happily change my tune if the bridge QB was someone a bit more heralded by the CFB community at large.
MycatToby
GumbyFromPokeyLand said:

MycatToby said:

GumbyFromPokeyLand said:

MycatToby said:

I guess Toby has a plan?

Of course if you bring Sanders back, next year every player will want to go in the portal seeking either a better opportunity or NIL$$$. If it's not there, they'll just want to come back. How the heck can a coaching staff manage that nightmare?

I think that's a slippery slope fallacy. To be honest, we saw with Jabbar and Cobb that they got offers before in the portal. Anyone can (and debatably should) be looking for the best deal for them at all times. Not taking Sanders back isn't going to be able to put the genie back in the bottle of these guys looking out for themselves. In fact, I honestly think it would show strong culture and maturity for someone to test the portal and realize that OSU is the place for them after all.
GumbyFromPokeyLand
MycatToby said:

GumbyFromPokeyLand said:

MycatToby said:

GumbyFromPokeyLand said:

MycatToby said:

I guess Toby has a plan?

I think that's a slippery slope fallacy. To be honest, we saw with Jabbar and Cobb that they got offers before in the portal. Anyone can (and debatably should) be looking for the best deal for them at all times. Not taking Sanders back isn't going to be able to put the genie back in the bottle of these guys looking out for themselves. In fact, I honestly think it would show strong culture and maturity for someone to test the portal and realize that OSU is the place for them after all.
Respectfully, your cat is insane.

Jabbar and Cobb got offers before they went into the portal? How do you know that, and if so, so what? If you give players a "free" look at other opportunities, they'll take it. Instead of what we should probably expect, 10-15 players to the portal every year, we'd have 40(?) or more go to the portal if there's no downside. Sure, some of them would want to come back, but how many and when? That's an unmanageable situation for the coaches.
MycatToby
GumbyFromPokeyLand said:

MycatToby said:

GumbyFromPokeyLand said:

MycatToby said:

GumbyFromPokeyLand said:

MycatToby said:

I guess Toby has a plan?

Jabbar and Cobb got offers before they went into the portal? How do you know that, and if so, so what? If you give players a "free" look at other opportunities, they'll take it. Instead of what we should probably expect, 10-15 players to the portal every year, we'd have 40(?) or more go to the portal if there's no downside. Sure, some of them would want to come back, but how many and when? That's an unmanageable situation for the coaches.

Well, RA did report that A&M was reaching out to Cobb before he entered, didn't he?

I don't think you have to treat all players equally, the market won't. What you do for Spence, you don't have to do for everyone else.
GumbyFromPokeyLand
MycatToby said:

GumbyFromPokeyLand said:

MycatToby said:

GumbyFromPokeyLand said:

MycatToby said:

GumbyFromPokeyLand said:

MycatToby said:

I guess Toby has a plan?

Well, RA did report that A&M was reaching out to Cobb before he entered, didn't he?

I don't think you have to treat all players equally, the market won't. What you do for Spence, you don't have to do for everyone else.
So, you let selected players return? That's a recipe for everyone WANTING to leave. My goodness how short sighted.
MycatToby
GumbyFromPokeyLand said:

MycatToby said:

GumbyFromPokeyLand said:

MycatToby said:

GumbyFromPokeyLand said:

MycatToby said:

GumbyFromPokeyLand said:

MycatToby said:

I guess Toby has a plan?

So, you let selected players return? That's a recipe for everyone WANTING to leave. My goodness how short sighted.

Yes, I definitely would. Respectfully disagree with your assessment.
GumbyFromPokeyLand
MycatToby said:

GumbyFromPokeyLand said:

MycatToby said:

GumbyFromPokeyLand said:

MycatToby said:

GumbyFromPokeyLand said:

MycatToby said:

GumbyFromPokeyLand said:

MycatToby said:

I guess Toby has a plan?

Yes, I definitely would. Respectfully disagree with your assessment.

Of the 4,000 or more players that have entered the portal since its inception, and the 1,500 is so that never found a home, how many have returned to their school? I know of two. That should tell you how most coaches are approaching portal entrants.
Refresh
Page 2 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.