Story Poster
Photo by Gannon University Athletics
Oklahoma State Football

Gundy Had a Major Reason for Hiring Nardo, It's His Defensive Expertise

January 24, 2023

STILLWATER – Talking with Oklahoma State head coach Mike Gundy, he told me that there was no shortage of interest in the defensive coordinator job he was hiring. Gundy eventually landed on Gannon University defensive coordinator Bryan Nardo. It was no accident and quite deliberate that Gundy seemed to repeat a process that back in 2013 landed him on Shippensburg University offensive coordinator Mike Yurcich.

To continue reading, you must be a Pokes Report Premium subscriber.
Discussion from...

Gundy Had a Major Reason for Hiring Nardo, It's His Defensive Expertise

6,309 Views | 15 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by Crazed_Stallion
NJAggie
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Thanks for the additional info Robert. I'm pretty sure he'll be just fine. As for the criticizers, they're still claiming Yurcich was a horrid mistake so they don't seem to mind looking foolish.
TUSKAPOKE
Welcome Coach Nardo and family. GO POKES!!!
OKSTATE1
Looks like a fantastic hire.

Gundy wanted someone that knew the ISU defense. This might be the only guy available that knows it AND is a proven coordinator running it. So he can teach, implement, game plan, make halftime adjustments and call plays on Gameday. Closest thing to the ISU DC he can get.

He did the same interview process as Knowles. Gundy wanted a 3-3-5 background. . He wanted Knowles principles. . He wanted a LB coach. . He wanted the current staff to have a say.

RowdyRawhide
I believe the Cyclones have competent assistants we could have hired. I'm all out of pig lipstick

or I would send it over.
OKSTATE1
And not a one of them has ever had DC responsibilities. All
they have done is what the DC told them to do.
RowdyRawhide
I'm sure being a coordinator in the flag football league Gannon College plays in is a great
Training ground for being a coordinator in the Big 12. Playing teams like Faber College where "Knowledge is Good" and Melville College where Flubber is legal should be where all future great college coaches should hone their coaching skills.

I'll look you up when I drop by the SID office tomorrow.
GumbyFromPokeyLand
RowdyRawhide said:

I'm sure being a coordinator in the flag football league Gannon College plays in is a great
Training ground for being a coordinator in the Big 12. Playing teams like Faber College where "Knowledge is Good" and Melville College where Flubber is legal should be where all future great college coaches should hone their coaching skills.

Or Shippensburg where they also play football. Xs and Os are Xs and Os.
Orangeheart72
RowdyRawhide said:

I believe the Cyclones have competent assistants we could have hired. I'm all out of pig lipstickTV.

So instead of hiring an ISU Assistant you have a guy with Coordinator experience who was defensive backs coach at Ohio University before moving up the coaching ranks. I don't see/understand the issue you're concerned about. HS coaches have moved to D1 Coordinator jobs and become so successful they get head coaching jobs in D1.

or I would send it over.
TeaTownCowboy
Wasn't that the same reason he hired Derrick Mason....and how'd that work out?
Joe Khatib
OKSTATE1 said:

And not a one of them has ever had DC responsibilities. All
they have done is what the DC told them to do.
You are not allowed to bring FACTS into these conversations!!! LOL
Joe Khatib
RowdyRawhide said:

Always find these remarks interesting! Did you know Mike Leach NEVER PLAYED Football at the collegiate level! Joey McGuire at Texas Tech was a career high school head coach until hired by Rhule at Baylor in 2017 and was NEVER a coordinator at Baylor, yet was hired as Head Coach by Texas Tech! Then of course our man Mike Yurcich who had never coached above the Div. II level until being brought in by OSU in 2013! Next couple of year will tell the story on whether he is successful or not!
RowdyRawhide
Rare exceptions. Yurcich struggled mightily first 2 seasons.

This move makes no sense.
Joe Khatib
RowdyRawhide said:

Rare exceptions. Yurcich struggled mightily first 2 seasons.

This move makes no sense.
Yurcich offense in 2013 averaged 450 yards per game, 173 yards on the ground and 277 yards through the air and averaged 39.1 points per game! The offense did struggle in 2014 because we went through three QBs and had poor offensive line play averaged 379 yards per game, 137 yards on the ground and 242 yards through the air and averaged 27.1 points per game. In 2015 they averaged 480 yards per game with 127 on the ground (poor running game) but 353 through the air with a 39.5 points per game average! OSU won 10 games in 2013, 7 games in 2014 and then 10 again in 2015! I try to bring the RECEIPTS!
72Cowboys
"Bryan Nardo is a rising star in the college football coaching profession."
Looking forward to what he will bring to oSu in 2023!
Go Cowboys!
Crazed_Stallion
100%
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.