Story Poster
Photo by Oklahoma State Athletics
Oklahoma State Football

Big 12 Releases 2023 Conference Schedule, Oklahoma State Plays Home-Heavy Slate

January 31, 2023

STILLWATER – After what feels like months of waiting, the Big 12 has released its conference schedule for the upcoming 2023 season, and Oklahoma State is play a majority of its conference games in Boone Pickens Stadium.

The Pokes kick the season off against Central Arkansas on Sept. 2, travel out to Tempe, AZ, for the return trip in the series against Arizona State on Sept. 9, then will wrap up non-conference play with another match-up against South Alabama on Sept. 16.

They’ll travel up to Ames to start Big 12 play against Iowa State on Sept. 23 and will have yet another early-in-the-season open week on Sept. 30.

The Pokes will then get a chance at revenge against Kansas State as they host the Wildcats on Oct. 6this year, as well as against Kansas as they’ll host the Jayhawks the following week on Oct. 14. 

The Cowboys make a trip up to Morgantown to try and get back in the win column against the Mountaineers on Oct. 21.

In the first year of the new conference teams, BYU, Cincinnati, Houston and UCF, the Cowboys will be playing all four, starting off with hosting Cincinnati for Homecoming. They’ll play host to OU for Bedlam on Nov. 11, the second-straight season not playing the Sooners in final game of the season. The Cowboys then have two-straight road games, both against new conference foes, Orlando for UCF on Nov. 11 and down to Houston to face the Cougars on Nov. 18.

The Cowboys will then host BYU to wrap up conference play and the regular season.

Big 12 Conference
Yormark talks to Mike Gundy in Arlington last summer.

“I would like to thank our fans for their patience awaiting this historic schedule,” said Commissioner Brett Yormark.  “Given its importance, the complexities of weaving in four new schools, adding a third time zone and ensuring alignment with key stakeholders we were very deliberate with its development.  I look forward to another highly competitive season of Big 12 football, and to welcoming our new members and their fans into the league.”

Television selections for the first three weeks of the season are due to the Conference by June 1, 2023.

As you might’ve noticed, the Cowboys will not be playing any of the traditional Big 12 Texas schools of Baylor, TCU, Texas or Texas Tech.

Oklahoma State’s Complete 2023 Schedule

• 9/2 vs. Central Arkansas
  • 9/9 at Arizona State
  • 9/16 vs. South Alabama
  • 9/23 at Iowa State
  • 9/30 BYE
  • 10/06 vs. Kansas State
  • 10/14 vs. Kansas
  • 10/21 at West Virginia
  • 10/28 vs. Cincinnati (Homecoming)
  • 11/04 vs. Oklahoma
  • 11/11 at UCF
  • 11/18 at Houston
  • 11/25 vs. BYU
  • 12/2 Big 12 Championship Game
Discussion from...

Big 12 Releases 2023 Conference Schedule, Oklahoma State Plays Home-Heavy Slate

5,210 Views | 12 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by Osufenceman
rcfb
How long do you want to ignore this user?
So OSU is not hosting UH like you said, we are going there. Also why are we playing all 4 new teams? Maybe good to get some wins, but eye balls on TV will fall. Also can we not have early bye week anymore?
Zach Lancaster
Staff
rcfb said:

So OSU is not hosting UH like you said, we are going there. Also why are we playing all 4 new teams? Maybe good to get some wins, but eye balls on TV will fall. Also can we not have early bye week anymore?
Who said OSU was hosting Houston? But I am very intrigued/curious as to why there's no traditional Texas teams on the schedule.
Osufenceman
Zach Lancaster said:

rcfb said:

Who said OSU was hosting Houston? But I am very intrigued/curious as to why there's no traditional Texas teams on the schedule.

Completely agree about the Texas teams. Not going to be very excited if we are put in a North division in the future.
rcfb
Zach Lancaster said:

rcfb said:

" Oklahoma State would also host Houston in Boone Pickens Stadium in 2023." from other article by RA. Not you, my bad.
Joe Khatib
Osufenceman said:

Zach Lancaster said:

rcfb said:

Completely agree about the Texas teams. Not going to be very excited if we are put in a North division in the future.
If this is the last season for Zero U and the Shorthorns I would imagine the schedule will look much different in 2024 with regard to us playing the Texas schools!!! Also curious why a Friday night game instead of Thursday night like they have usually had us play in the past when it was broadcast on ESPN?
Zach Lancaster
Staff
rcfb said:

Zach Lancaster said:

rcfb said:

" Oklahoma State would also host Houston in Boone Pickens Stadium in 2023." from other article by RA. Not you, my bad.
You're all good, I was just really confused for a bit haha
Pokes4158
Not playin the Texas schools is a major blow.
NJAggie
There are not going to be divisions. Everyone is going to rotate on and off your schedule. Right now you have 4 teams that will not be on your schedule. In 2 years they will be.

I don't see much chance of ou/ut leaving early. They have to provide value to FOX equal to their inventory. ESPN has no desire to do horse trading as they are just fine with them staying. FOX is just fine with them staying. The only ones dying to get out are the 2 schools and they have nothing they can do without ESPN helping them that can make it work. ESPN has a better deal with them in the Big XII than letting them leave early, there is little chance they do it. If ESPN wanted them out they could have easily agreed to letting FOX have the ou/ut ooc games and enough SEC inventory to satisfy the 12 games a year needed to make this work.
pokeacola
Personally, which is of little to no interest to anyone but my wife and children, I want them gone ASAP. What a relief to be delivered from that Sooner Yoke.
Joe Khatib
NJAggie said:

There are not going to be divisions. Everyone is going to rotate on and off your schedule. Right now you have 4 teams that will not be on your schedule. In 2 years they will be.

I don't see much chance of ou/ut leaving early. They have to provide value to FOX equal to their inventory. ESPN has no desire to do horse trading as they are just fine with them staying. FOX is just fine with them staying. The only ones dying to get out are the 2 schools and they have nothing they can do without ESPN helping them that can make it work. ESPN has a better deal with them in the Big XII than letting them leave early, there is little chance they do it. If ESPN wanted them out they could have easily agreed to letting FOX have the ou/ut ooc games and enough SEC inventory to satisfy the 12 games a year needed to make this work.
Sankey wants ALL SEC schools in place by the beginning of the 2024 school year as that is when their new contract kicks in! Texas can do it tomorrow because they print money in Austin! The hang up is OU, thanks to Porky Borens fiscal malfeasance which has left them in a serious financial debt on the University side of things! Their Athletic Department operates in the black but not the test of the University! The price tag for these two to skip out on the last year is $168 million according to Robert!
NJAggie
That's a number floating out there usually associated with the last two years of the GoR. But, the facts are they can't just pay something and get out of it unless its agreeable to FOX & ESPN. The GoR is a guarantee to the networks, that they will get their money's worth. And, those two decide what that value is and what it will take for them to agree to a release. So far those two have not done anything that would say there is going to be an early exit. Sankey's desires have nothing to do with the outcome. FOX & ESPN are owed 12 games for 2024. They have to provide them, or a value that FOX & ESPN agree to.

If they are willing to accept $84M each from them that money would go to the conference, but then be paid to FOX & ESPN for the loss of value in the contract. ESPN has no reason to agree to it, and FOX has very little. I'm not saying it won't happen, I'm just saying the probability is low. If it wasn't for OU & UT whining about it, it wouldn't even be a discussion.

We have had to wait while OU & UT tried various future scheduling schemes to get FOX to agree to let them go, and they're just not interested in singleton games 6 or 8 years down the road.
Osufenceman
NJAggie said:

That's a number floating out there usually associated with the last two years of the GoR. But, the facts are they can't just pay something and get out of it unless its agreeable to FOX & ESPN. The GoR is a guarantee to the networks, that they will get their money's worth. And, those two decide what that value is and what it will take for them to agree to a release. So far those two have not done anything that would say there is going to be an early exit. Sankey's desires have nothing to do with the outcome. FOX & ESPN are owed 12 games for 2024. They have to provide them, or a value that FOX & ESPN agree to.

If they are willing to accept $84M each from them that money would go to the conference, but then be paid to FOX & ESPN for the loss of value in the contract. ESPN has no reason to agree to it, and FOX has very little. I'm not saying it won't happen, I'm just saying the probability is low. If it wasn't for OU & UT whining about it, it wouldn't even be a discussion.

We have had to wait while OU & UT tried various future scheduling schemes to get FOX to agree to let them go, and they're just not interested in singleton games 6 or 8 years down the road.

Truth
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.