Story Poster
Photo by Pat Kinnison - Chief Photographer
Oklahoma State Football

Oklahoma Lawmakers Pass NIL Bill, Awaiting Governor Stitt's Signature

May 25, 2021

STILLWATER – Big news for college athletics in the state of Oklahoma as the Oklahoma State Government passed a Name, Image and Likeness bill on Tuesday.

The bill cleared the House by a vote of 81-11 on Tuesday and 43-3 in the Senate last week. Student-athletes would be able to hire an agent and make money off their name, image and likeness beginning July 1 if Gov. Kevin Stitt gives his approval and signs the bill.

"There was definitely a sense of urgency," Sen. Julie Daniels, R-Bartlesville said. "We certainly didn't want to get to July and have any of our student-athletes accepting invitations to move to other schools because [other states] had passed this."

Oklahoma became the 17th state to pass similar NIL bills which allow student-athletes to make money of their name, image and likeness. It becomes the first state with member schools in the Big 12 to do so, but it’s said that both Kansas and Texas are exploring similar bills as well.

It’s important to note the bill doesn’t allow the athletes to be paid by the universities, but rather by endorsements, sponsorships, advertisements, personal appearances and other similar deals.

"They are certainly not being paid to play," Daniels said.

According to a report by The Oklahoman, athletes would not be allowed to use the “school’s logos in advertisements or marketing, or enter into any contract that would conflict with any school’s contract.” The athlete would also be required to notify the university if they hired an agent, and they wouldn’t be allowed to endorse or use a product that promotes sports gambling or banned substances.

It’s also important to remember everything about NIL is contingent on what the NCAA decides. The NCAA governing body is expected to pass legislation sometime in June which would allow athletes to benefit financially on their name, image and likeness, with the rule going into effect July 1.

Discussion from...

Oklahoma Lawmakers Pass NIL Bill, Awaiting Governor Stitt's Signature

3,308 Views | 10 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by CaliforniaCowboy
CaliforniaCowboy
How long do you want to ignore this user?
well, that certainly sucks.

So much for the B12 conference ever having any semblance of equity.

Daniels: "it's not pay for play" (LOL) except a couple of conference teams have their own networks and can provide a platform for those players to "showcase" themselves. You can go to Baylor and market your image to 20K alumni, or go to Texas and market your image to $100,000s of alumni and fans, and the "nation".

I guess we'll see what the NCAA decides in July, but frankly this is not going well for the continued competitiveness of the NCAA.

.... which has me wondering how this changes our NCAA basketball violation and penalty, if kids (Carroll) can have agents......
NJAggie
CC I agree its a mess, and you can bet that OU will be out there promising kids guaranteed levels of income to come play for them with this as their boosters line up to make it happen.

However, the courts have placed this out of the hands of the NCAA. In fact I think in the end the NCAA does nothing and just lets the states have it.

I'm not sure how college football and basketball survive this. I know they won't survive in their current form as the OU's and SEC Schools of the world will use it to their advantage to openly buy players. The NCAA blew this by pretending it wasn't an issue long enough for someone to win a court case.

This legislation sounds about as good as it gets. We can control what the schools do directly, but you can't control the auto dealers of Norman (which we know from 70+ years of their abuse of the rules) so we all have to live with it.
CaliforniaCowboy
I don't think that I'll live with it.... more likely to live without it. I like amature sports.

I quit watching Pro sports long ago... when Ricky Henderson signed the largest contract in baseball history with the A's, the held out the start of the season for a raise because somebody signed for $1 more than him. Baseball has done many more things chasing the dollar that drove me off....

I use to attend Laker games until they signed Shaq.... I loved Shaq, but they priced me out of attending. Then Jordan ruined the game, with his selfish play, that all the selfish players want to mimic... the NBA used to be a team sport, once upon a time.

oddly, this whole ncaa image mess started with a CA lawsuit by a female olympic sport athlete from UCLA (gymnastics, I think)

(the prior OBannon UCLA BB lawsuit was about the restricting the NCAA from benefiting from the player images in video games, etc)

NJAggie
I agree I don't like it, but we long ago quit having amateur athletes except in college. So it's sort of knocking down the last bastion of simply playing to play.

Once the courts forced the door open the states jumping in to provide the legislation to support the courts rather than carve out some territory where this could be restrained or handled has departed.

If the schools don't opt out and basically create a DIII environment it is the world of the future.
CaliforniaCowboy
you could be right about your projection... but I disagree that this is how it has to be, and that it cannot be reversed/retained.

The school administrators probably don't have the stomach to fight for collegiate athletic integrity, but if not, it will be their total demise.

If your projection is accurate, then I predict that collegiate athletics will collapse for many, many, many institutions.

Once the pay-to-play schools suck up all the money and talent, then everyone else will drop out. (i.e., go to Div Ii or III levels - with few or no scholarships - e.g., the Ivy League)

CaliforniaCowboy
Kentucky / Calipari emphasis what an advantage for the blue-bloods this will be, and uses OSU as the example of teams that will suffer because of it......

New name, image and likeness laws will change college sports as we know them, especially for athletes at blue-blood programs dripping with national spotlight. Kentucky head men's basketball coach John Calipari mentioned the same this week and tossed what some are viewing as shade in the direction of Oklahoma State's program, which signed the top-ranked player in the country last season, Cade Cunningham.

"Well, now you have name, image, likeness, so it changes that for us, too," Calipari said this week. "But here's the thing: The G League last year, the Ignite team, their TV ratings compared to what we do I'll just give you a player: Cade Cunningham, who I loved. Cade Cunningham could have done that, but he went to college. Forget about just Kentucky, think about college. He went to college, and he went to Oklahoma State.

"Cade Cunningham, his whole not just basketball and what it did for him his brand, his ability to take advantage of that on the market is through the roof. And he was in Oklahoma. I'm saying, Oklahoma State, a great program, and they're in Stillwater, Oklahoma, and that happened for him. You think about Kentucky and what that means if that guys comes here." By BRAD CRAWFORD
GumbyFromPokeyLand
Where is this headed? A boon for all athletes? Certainly not. For some, yes. But in 5(?) years NIL will be associated with one thing - the huge recruiting advantage to blue blood schools with "coordinated" payments for recruits. Why wouldn't a group of OU donors work out a plan to pay 6 figures to every 5-star recruit that signs with OU? And to take it a step further, what's to prevent a NIL contract from having incentive payments for on the field production? Yep, pay for play/performance is where we're headed.

The beginning of the end.
CaliforniaCowboy
You could be correct, I certainly do not think that this will end well for most of the Div 1 football / basketball programs, where it will become the "haves and the havenots".

I still do not understand how kids would get paid under this situation... just owning your image and likeness does not necessarily equal money.

The OSU effort seems to be centered around improving the kid's social media presence... I suppose one could get paid by advertisers etc. based on their tweets or clicks or some such.

GumbyFromPokeyLand
CaliforniaCowboy said:

You could be correct, I certainly do not think that this will end well for most of the Div 1 football / basketball programs, where it will become the "haves and the havenots".

I still do not understand how kids would get paid under this situation... just owning your image and likeness does not necessarily equal money.

The OSU effort seems to be centered around improving the kid's social media presence... I suppose one could get paid by advertisers etc. based on their tweets or clicks or some such.

Paid autographs, paid appearances, paid advertisements, etc... All paid by business owners/fans. The schools and the ncaa will quickly lose control to donors/fans/athletes. The biggest and deepest pockets win.
CaliforniaCowboy
GumbyFromPokeyLand said:

CaliforniaCowboy said:

Paid autographs, paid appearances, paid advertisements, etc... All paid by business owners/fans. The schools and the ncaa will quickly lose control to donors/fans/athletes. The biggest and deepest pockets win.
oh, I see.... like the A$M Aggie QB was doing a couple of years ago
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.