Story Poster
Photo by Robert Allen - Pokes Report
Oklahoma State Football

Caleb Etienne Arrives and He Looks Amazing

June 6, 2021

STILLWATER – Oklahoma State football held their first minicamp of the season for high school players and may of those hoping to be noticed and to stand out in front of the Cowboys football staff. Now, there were a number of players there, some working the camp like defensive tackle Brendon Evers or quarterback Spencer Sanders. Then again, maybe they were the more active spectators. We saw Shane Illingworth, running back Zach Middleton, linebacker Malcolm Rodriguez.

To continue reading, you must be a Pokes Report Premium subscriber.
Discussion from...

Caleb Etienne Arrives and He Looks Amazing

3,254 Views | 10 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by CaliforniaCowboy
Orangeheart72
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Very good news. Hard for juco's to impact a team in a big time way first year. Hopefully this will be one of the exceptions.
Orangeheart72
Trivia question Robert. When's the last time OSU's football team had at least 3 likely NFL talent level (potential) starters on both the DL and OL in one season before?
Joe Khatib
In answer to Orangheart, probably the mid 1970s with Darrel Goforth and Ron Baker on the offensive line and James Duck White and Phillip Dokes on the defensive line. A probable reason we tied for Big 8 co-championship in 1976.
Orangeheart72
Funny Joe, you must be as old as me almost. I used the same two DL comparisons with RA on Triple Play. Robert came back with a DL line of John Washington and somebody.....noting the OL was fairly salty then too but not necessarily NFL talent laden. And Robert's several years younger so Dokes and Duck may pre-date his youth. I'm obviously hoping Etienne and our Center transfer are the real thing. If so, my remarks may hold up as the DL, absent injury complications is there with 3 NFL types I believe.
LS1Z28
The 02' team had Charlie Johnson, Kevin Williams, & Antonio Smith. They would all go onto become NFL starters. But Charlie Johnson was still playing TE at the time, so that doesn't really count. If I remember correctly, he didn't play on the OL until his senior season.
CaliforniaCowboy
Orangeheart72 said:

Robert came back with a DL line of John Washington and somebody......

LOL .... "somebody" named Leslie O'Neal? maybe our best ever?

Oklahoma State annually gives the Leslie O'Neal Award to the team's outstanding defensive player.

https://footballfoundation.org/honors/hall-of-fame/leslie-o-neal/2459

NFL'er Paul Blair was on the OLine... not sure who else of note
https://www.sports-reference.com/cfb/schools/oklahoma-state/1985-roster.html
Orangeheart72
It likely was Leslie Cal. I was driving in western Oklahoma and had spotty reception. But Robert was talking DL and OLine too as my question was having possibly 3 NFL level talents on both of the lines in same year (like I suspect we may have in '21).

It's easy to find a couple on one side or other over the years at OSU. My college days included John Ward, John Little and Jerry Sherk. That's 3 between both lines......and damn good players at that.
CaliforniaCowboy
yeah, I understand, but that team RA was talking about was blocking for Thurman and were good. I did not look up the careers of all of them to see which were in the NFL, I listed Blair simply because he was obvious.

I'm not sure which year RA was speaking of, since O'Neal and Washington were there 83, 84, 85

I get what you're saying though, I was at OSU for the Duck White and Dokes years...

Orangeheart72
Cal, I was at that OU game in Norman where they (James Duck White, Philip Dokes, and seems like Skip Taylor, Weatherby, Corker, Daria Butler, Terry Miller) beat the sooners. That was a pretty loaded team! 4 or 5 solid NFL type players on that one.
CaliforniaCowboy
Orangeheart72 said:

Cal, I was at that OU game in Norman where they (James Duck White, Philip Dokes, and seems like Skip Taylor, Weatherby, Corker, Daria Butler, Terry Miller) beat the sooners. That was a pretty loaded team! 4 or 5 solid NFL type players on that one.
My roommate and I had gone down to Six Flags since it was an away game and a holiday weekend (Veterans day was in Oct back then). We heard the half-time score and then went to the parking lot to listen to the 2nd half on the car radio.

Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.