Story Poster
Photo by Bryan Terry-USA TODAY Sports
Oklahoma State Football

Oklahoma and Texas Have To Move First, Just Talking and Speculation for OSU and Others

July 24, 2021

STILLWATER – Not only are Oklahoma and Texas upsetting the Big 12 applecart with the news of this week first reported by Brent Zwerneman of the Houston Chronicle, courtesy of a jealous and upset Texas A&M, that those two Big 12 powers are heading to the Southeastern Conference, but it’s been going on for quite some time.

The reports from various sources such as the Austin American-Statesman and Chip Brown of Horns247 are that the discussions of the move have gone on for anywhere from six months to close to a year. Our sources that cover both the SEC and are involved inside the Oklahoma State administration confirm those reports.

It’s done and the Sooners and Longhorns are gone with only an unimagined last hour development stopping it from happening. We’ve reported that the last two days. Texas and Oklahoma are also stopping progress, at least concrete progress, for the other schools in the Big 12, including Oklahoma State.

All of this is talk so far. Technically, Texas and Oklahoma are still in the Big 12 and if they want to avoid hefty, or even negotiated penalties on their way out the door, then maybe they stay longer. Our sources have told us that OU and UT want out as soon as possible, even thinking of the prospect that their spring sports could play in the SEC. Right now, Oklahoma State and the other Big 12 schools can talk to and about other options, but if anybody did anything concrete about it like formally ask a conference for membership then they become the official first departure. The penalties would come down on them.

USA Today Sports Images
While OU and UT prepare to leave, it is hard for any schools to take action because those two have yet to do anything official.

A colleague of mine suggested on Friday that we apply for Freedom of Information rights to the emails and documents from University of Oklahoma President Joseph Harroz Jr. and OU athletic director Joe Castiglione. I told him that it would do no good. Oklahoma and Texas did the smart thing and used law firms, one in Texas and one in Oklahoma I am told by sources, to handle the communication with the SEC. Attorney/client privilege applies to some of this process and the communication from the law firms to the school was most likely all oral.

This was not only covertly handled, but it was also smartly handled. Now, all the schools have to wait until the first official shoe drops. According to multiple reports, starting with the Austin American-Statesman and reporters Kirk Bohls and Brian Davis, the news should come this week and the move to the SEC for Texas and Oklahoma will be expedited.

That means so far, all the remaining Big 12 schools, who met virtually on Thursday afternoon and evening, can do is reach out unofficially. If they are smart like Oklahoma and Texas, they’ll do so through third party emissaries.

The other option is for the Big 12 to stay together and add schools to make the conference viable. They even issued a statement after the meeting. The statement was released in bullet format.

• Oklahoma and Texas are founding members of the Big 12 and we value their traditions and history of success.
  • The eight members strongly desire to retain the current composition, which has proven it can compete at the highest levels.
  • There is a recognition that institutions may act in their own self-interest, however there is an expectation that members adhere to Conference bylaws and the enforcement of Grant of Rights agreements.
  • This is a time of dramatic change within intercollegiate athletics that presents both opportunities and challenges, and the Big 12 Conference looks forward to continuing to play a major role in its evolution.

While this is all well and good, and my sources told me that much of the meeting time was spent discussing what olive branches in the form of revenue and incentives might be offered to Oklahoma and Texas to keep them in the fold, that ship has sailed. To consider staying together and bringing in schools that weren’t considered viable in the past is also a losing proposition, a band-aid that won’t stop the bleeding.  Big 12 leadership in the past has either not tried or has not been effective at luring schools from other Power Five leagues to the Big 12. It is highly unlikely that would change now.

The smart schools are looking for a solid seat at the table of a current Power Five conference that is not under siege.

Robert Allen - Pokes Report
Athletic director Chad Weiberg and OSU President Dr. Kayse Shrum have been proactive according to our OSU sources.

I can tell you that our sources have Oklahoma State as being the most proactive in a search for a new home but having done it smartly. One source told Pokes Report that Oklahoma State is a possibility with all three Power Five conferences that could be, and most likely will be looking to add to their numbers. You will see that the Atlantic Coast Conference, Big Ten, and Pac-12 are all very vague, almost sounding disinterested in expansion. That is because nothing is official yet with Texas and Oklahoma and the Southeastern Conference.

Surprisingly, the Big Ten has reportedly engaged in unofficial third-party interest with Oklahoma State University.

Pac-12 Conference
Pac-12 Commissioner George Kliavkoff

By far, the Pac-12, who issued this statement from new Commissioner George Kliavkoff

“I consider the Pac-12 an exclusive club with a high barrier to entry,’’ Kliavkoff said Thursday when asked about a Houston Chronicle report indicating Oklahoma and Texas were leaving the Big 12 Conference. “I love the schools and the teams we have today. We are not actively seeking to poach any teams from any conferences. But we’d be foolish not to listen if schools call us.”

Speculation is the Big 12 Conference contacted the Pac-12 and asked about a merger into a 20-team conference. The other option would be for the Pac-12 to become the Pac-16 and become an equal in numbers with the SEC.  That would entail bringing in four new schools.

The preference should be to add Oklahoma State and its 52 NCAA Championships to the Pac-12’s “Conference of Champions” motto. Oklahoma State is fourth in all-time NCAA championships and the three schools ahead of them are all Pac-12 members in Stanford, UCLA and USC. The other part of the preference should be to bring in a decided Texas flavor for recruiting purposes. Texas Tech is a natural, but TCU and Baylor in the DFW Metroplex and the rich CenTex region respectively would be great. The issue is the Pac-12 has always been cold to the idea of having religious-based schools in their conference.  

Multiple reports had that going on yesterday with social media and blogger reports that Kansas and Iowa State had reached out to the Big Ten. This makes sense as both are geographically located in the footprint of the Big Ten or very close to it. Also, both schools are members of the prestigious Association of American Universities that most of the Big Ten members are also a part of.

Most of the reporting with regard to West Virginia centers on the Atlantic Coast Conference and should. WVU is in that geographic footprint and many of their former Big East brethren are there including longtime archrival Pittsburgh.

Oklahoma State Athletics
Thanks to footballs success under Mike Gundy, Dr. Shrum has ammunition to get OSU in a good position.

All, or some of this action could continue over the weekend. Remember, schools are in an urgent mode. Millions of dollars and the future of proud beloved athletic programs are on the line.

The ticket is football and good football. Oklahoma State with their success under Mike Gundy and with the current facilities has them as the next most attractive school. Some reports have Kansas, but the current state of Kansas athletics is questionable in multiple areas. Basketball is nice, but football is the money maker in all of this and the primary reason that any school will be courted and accepted.

Discussion from...

Oklahoma and Texas Have To Move First, Just Talking and Speculation for OSU and Others

16,633 Views | 24 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by Robert Allen
TUSKAPOKE
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Kowtowing anymore to the Zero U Sewerners and the Shorthorn steers is totally unacceptable to keep the B12 intact. It is time to cut those ties and strike out to shape our own destiny. We need to do whatever we can to bring along at least one or two of the Texas teams to keep our recruiting grounds. Those prima-donnas deserve the azz kickings they are going to get in the SEC and push to mediocrity, which the Shorthorns already excel at, which will be fun to watch. The B12 has been on life support for years and this latest development is because of poor passive leadership that has had opportunities to raid the PAC-12 and others to form a 16 team conference and evolve college football. Now this abdication has placed the B12 in death throes. Bowlsby just took a paycheck and failed. May mediocrity embrace the Sewerners and Shorthorn steers for the next 100 years! GO POKES!!!
AustinCowboy88
Robert, when the shoes does drop, in your opinion, what kind of leverage does uT and oU have for NOT having to swallow the whole poison pill of penalties and conference termination fee's in trying to exist early (if that's the request)?

Additionally, will the rest of the Big 12 schools play hard ball and push back on anything less than what they owe the conference to leave early?
tulsasig
The OU/Texas move to the SEC is done. Nothing is going to stop it. The Big XII is dead. Our best scenario is to move to the PAC 12 with the Texas schools to form a Southwest division with Arizona, ASU, Colorado and Utah. Fallback strategy is a move to ACC but this is not as good a fit. We should be having these discussions now and not waiting for anyone else.
tulsasig
Oh yes, and get the lawyers to file a claim against OU and Texas for the MAXIMUM amount due under conference contract and HOLD THEIR FEET TO THE FIRE!
LL football 73
I would approach AAC members and try to get them to combine with old members of big 12 still left. East division - Clemson, Florida State, Miami, North Carolina, North Carolina State, Virginia, West Virginia, Georgia Tech or Virginia Tech. West division - Iowa State, Kansas, Kansas State, Texas Tech, Baylor, TCU, OSU, Louisville or Houston. Probably will never happen but would allow old big twelve to stay together.
Robert Allen
Staff
Austin Cowboy 88 -- It all depends on whether the other eight schools are willing to wager their futures vs. staying together in order to collect somewhere between $100-and $160-million from OU and Texas combined. Considering all of those schools have already reached out presumably with third party participants to the remaning Power Five conferences then I would say no. I think the house of card falls down pretty quickly after OU and Texas announce their departure. I gurantee you the Sooners and Horns have been betting that is what would happen. Hard to turn down a good landing spot just to stay loyal to the other remaining schools for a penalty payout that will help short term when what you need is a long term solution.
TeaTownCowboy
Here's an idea, the powers that be in the Big XII Conference be proactive for once. I don't know if it's greed by the presidents and ADs of each member school or what, but sitting on your duff isn't gonna do anything.

Should've already been in talks with schools like Arkansas (yah, little chance they would leave the $EC but you never know), Nebraska (B1G is a HORRIBLE fit for them), UCF, USF, Cincy, Houston, even BYU and Boise State. I would even have talks w/ A&M cause they are NOT going to be happy if Bevo is allowed in. Not saying any of those would be formally invited but at least you're further into that scenario in case the LandSquatters and discoTEX move on. Might as well just boot them anyway for taking it there and not being transparent.

Really, and I've said this even before Mizzou, Neb, Colorado and A&M left, we should've booted UT out of the conference. Shorthorn Network was a warning sign that things were gonna get uglier! Their arrogance doomed the cohesiveness and really if they had any cojones like Bevo (<--- sarcasm) they would've just gone independent instead of egocentric so as to not destroy a conference.
TeaTownCowboy
That assumes the Pac-12 wants us and the other teams. Not a good fit IMO.
Robert Allen
Staff
I think the Pac-12, Big 10, and ACC all want Oklahoma State. You have to remember this about football success and how many people are interested in watching your football team. Oklahoma State is solid in both categories (2nd best in the Big 12 and 10th in the nation in wins the past 10-years). Oklahoma State is not a blue blood but the TV Networks know that they catch eyeballs and are known as a competitive program inside the top 25.
There are few bluebloods available, in fact unless somebody decides to move from where they are there are none. That means Oklahoma State is about the best of what is left.

I know it hurts feelings but basketball doesn't matter here, wrestling doesn't matter here, baseball, softball, none of it. This realignment procurment is all about football. The good thing is Oklahoma State is not a religion-based school. It is public, has a rising academic standing, and most of all, good football.
NorthDFWPoke
Staff
It is probably correct that the B12 is not salvageable.

1. Before we jump I would like to know that we have considered what an expanded CFP might mean for a team that would be considered top tier in a mid major type conference.

2. There is a lot of assumption that ESPN FOX and TV contracts are the golden goose. What do tech experts really think this right to broadcast is worth and do current networks really control that destiny.

This over simplifying but is orang power studio able to clip a bigger value than currently available. I suspect all these games have been played out in athletic adminstrators minds for years. Now they have read the relationships as things happen.

When Shrum and Weiburg are confident in the landscape let's act boldly.
PokeRob
Robert if we went the Big 10 I am sure the Conference payout is higher but can we still recruit Texas?
Ok_state_fan78
If we can go to the Big 10 we need to go right now immediately, no matter what uo and texas do. That would be the best thing possible. That is much better than the SEC. I do not want anything to do with the SEC. That would be a football deathnell for OSU. The next best option is the ACC with another Big 12 School. I do not want to go to the PAC at all it is just slightly better than something like the AAC or Mountain West in MHO.
Ok_state_fan78
Second, we do not need to give uo and texas any more money!!!! That is the cause of all this to start with. If they go they go. We should have punted them and joined some east coast teams way back and kept Neb. Missouri and A&M; and formed a Big 16 then.
TPT10
This is where Bowlby failed. He should od reached out to USC etc a long time ago but didn't and hence here we sit.
NorthDFWPoke
Staff
Ok_state_fan78 said:

Second, we do not need to give uo and texas any more money!!!! That is the cause of all this to start with. If they go they go. We should have punted them and joined some east coast teams way back and kept Neb. Missouri and A&M; and formed a Big 16 then.

I would cance those two games next year if it cost them money
TUSKAPOKE
Reports this PM involve the mini-8 in the Tiny 12 giving more money to the Shorthorn steers and Sewer-ners and taking less to keep the "family" together. If OSU agrees to this BS, then we deserve all the suffering they impose on us. IMO this will just prolong the agony and the mini-8 will get screwed again. It is time to break ties with these a-holes and move on. The B12 (Tiny 12) is over. Let them go to the SEC and get their behinds handed to them. Let's go somewhere else where we are not getting used to placate prima donnas. GO POKES!!! TIME TO HIT THE ROAD FOR BETTER TIMES!!!
_888

Danny Deck
OSU is the best of the rest for viewers in the Big 12 after OU and Texas. Granted there is an ocean between those schools and OSU on this front. Still, the number we can bring against most anyone isn't totally embarrassing. And if you assume we stay approximately as successful in a new conference, we'll boost the numbers when we play the heavyweights there too. Hopefully it's enough we have a place to land.
Robert Allen
Staff
Danny is right, Oklahoma State is in a great situation and that will lead OSU to landing in a good Power Five position. Also TuskaPoke is right about the Big 12, Bowlsby, and the reports that we started reporting and that CBS Sports had more details on last night about the talk of giving OU and Texas more money. I can tell you at least two and maybe three schools put their foot down and said no, Oklahoma State was one.

PokeRob, legitimate concern about recruting Texas if Oklahoma State goes somewhere without a Texas school. We've seen what happened first to Arkansas, then Nebraska and Missouri leaving for leagues without Texas schools and their Texas recruiting suffered dramtically. My preference woule be to have TCU especially and then even Baylor and Texas Tech where we go. Tech is an outlier, but TCU is in the DFW Metroplex. If that does not happen, the Oklahoma State will have to rely on tradition of the past and closer proximity to Texas and hope that keeps the Texas recruiting lanes open. The area I would most be worried about is Houston and that has been a tougher area for OKlahoma State to have success in the past 5-10 years anyway,
JPat
Robert, I think that sure, football $ and competitiveness will rule the decision making process, but don't you think there would be another tier or 2 to the process? For example I think the B1G absolutely would consider our historic wrestling program as a big plus for conference inclusion. Basketball too, at least a bit. This is where the depth of quality sports we have will pay dividends.
CaliforniaCowboy
all of this sort of throws a bucket of crap on the season.

I'm suddenly not really that interested... maybe my gut-reaction will change after some clarity comes to the situation, but I doubt it.

this whole NIL, and money grabs like this conference stuff have me shying away, like when I walked away from MLB, then the NFL, then the NBA.... Pro Bass Fishing and NASCAR are becoming more interesting than these greedy money grab sports.

such a very sad time for college sports....
Robert Allen
Staff
JPat - No, I know it goes against the old pridefull Oklahoma State feeling of winning national championships in other sports and haveing a good well-rounded athleltic program. Does it help, sure but it is a bonus. This whole realignment is about football and the power of attracting viewers to a football TV package. The better you are at it the more you are valued and courted. The losers in thsi will be schools that are not as good recently in football, may have slid some in facilities and aren't considered a first rate attraction on television.

California - I disagree. I think this makes this season somewhat of a pigskin Armageddon. Every time the other eight line up against Oklahoma and Texas it will be a grudge match. I think Kansas doesn't have a chance obviously, but the other seven will have blood in the ey for the Sooners and Longhorns who are responssbile for everybody being in limbo.
CaliforniaCowboy
Robert Allen said:

California - I disagree. I think this makes this season somewhat of a pigskin Armageddon. Every time the other eight line up against Oklahoma and Texas it will be a grudge match. I think Kansas doesn't have a chance obviously, but the other seven will have blood in the ey for the Sooners and Longhorns who are responssbile for everybody being in limbo.

Seriously Big Rob? We're gonna play harder against the goons and horns this year because they double super secret spit on us, as if they don't already spit on us every single year? Double super secret spit... yeah, that's it... that's the ticket!!

If playing them for a Championship is not enough, If we're at the point of needing extra motivation to play the goons or horns, then we should not even be playing football in the first place.

unless you're suggesting some playing dirty and trying to hurt them, I certainly hope that was not the implication.
Robert Allen
Staff
No, I believe players play hard in every game. Now they are human like all of us. You have your good days and your off days. I'm just saying that for the other eight there will be extra motivation coming from fans, administration, staff, coaches, players, managers everybody. There will be a huge air of antimosity when those games are played.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.