Story Poster
Photo by Pat Kinnison - Chief Photographer
Oklahoma State Football

Pokes Report Is Getting Into NIL; Bringing Exclusive Player Content This Season

September 1, 2021

Are you ready for some exclusive player content? That’s right, Pokes Report is getting into NIL and we’re teaming up with a crucial player on this year’s roster to bring you an exclusive weekly player journal throughout the season.

This is going to be content from a player you won’t see on any other Oklahoma State site, and it’s going to be someone you’re going to want to hear from each week.

Robert Allen will be announcing the full details on the new player journal soon, so be sure to get a premium subscription because you aren’t going to want to miss out!

SUBSCRIBE TODAY!

Discussion from...

Pokes Report Is Getting Into NIL; Bringing Exclusive Player Content This Season

1,906 Views | 9 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by CaliforniaCowboy
CaliforniaCowboy
How long do you want to ignore this user?
not really something that I'm interesting in....

sounds like bragging...

good for the kids, I suppose we're supposed to support their efforts if we want to buy the best future players out there.... it just leaves a bad taste in my mouth.

it just feels wrong...
Marshall Levenson
CC, you are completely entitled to your opinion and I respect. But I do wonder why it leaves a bad taste in your mouth.

There seems to be no negatives in this scenario.

You get to read never seen before exclusive content on this site and a player gets compensated for his work/services. So, which part doesn't sit right?

I know not everyone is a big supporter of NIL so I just wanted to pick your brain or hear your ideas.
CaliforniaCowboy
well... like I said.. it sounds like bragging.

since we know that 80-90% of the kids won't be getting bonus pay, then highlighting that difference even further with "media coverage" just seems like bragging or rubbing salt in the wounds of the others.

To me, it reeks of promoting our bought off kids, against all the other purchased players that they other teams have.

like... "Hey kids, I know you can get paid to go to Bama, but look how much you can make at OSU".... the beginning of the end.

it just seems wrong. I honestly don't understand why you guys are even going with this angle... one thing is probably certain, the shameless media will go where ever they think they can get clicks, regardless of all else, so you guys might as well be the shameless that forge that trail for OSU.

maybe if it's done tastefully, but I'm not even sure what that would look like.
WCOkie
I like it, I pay for content so this should add content.
Tulsa Booster
Tulsa Booster
Not only are times changing, they have already changed. Many of us may not like the Transfer Portal or the NIL. But if you're going to survive you've got to adapt to change. That goes for the teams and it goes for the marketers of content as well.

As I've heard numerous coaches say, the traditional way of recruiting freshman players is not near as important now with the Portal. NIL presents a lot of problems for teams as well. But, if you don't offer your players opportunities NIL presents, they will go to a program that does. I think we all should expect NIL to change the game for web content marketers as well. When you subscribe to a a premium site, you expect content not available on the free sites. If Pokes Report can arrange an NIL deal with a player who will add value to this site, I'm all for it. Because if they don't another site will.
eecowboy
I like it.
A great addition to the subscription.
Thanks!
Go Cowboys!
CaliforniaCowboy
one other thought..... it also seems that this approach makes the media cheerleaders of the results.

Meaning those players that get the most media attention (for what ever reason) are likely to get approached for the most offers.... For example this site has repeatedly posted the exact same article and story about Spencer Sanders (only seemingly changing the title and the order of the paragraphs), with nothing new to say, while the other QBs (for example) got almost no coverage. Creating the illusion that Sanders may be the best option for NIL promotion (when one of the others might actually be better for a promo - better personality, better back story, better long-term potential, whatever). But the media promotes only one - intentionally or unintentionally.

I can only hope that the media types (not picking just on you guys, but any outlet reporting on this stuff) also expand their coverages to spotlight and promote the NIL of other players.

Like the LB transfer, Mason Cobb, I never would have heard much about him if not for users on this forum.
CaliforniaCowboy
oh.. .my bad.... this is good added content.

I totally misread your announcement.

While I still stand by my statements and concerns about how the media may report on NIL agreements, this is different, where YOU are providing the opportunity. I don't know how I misunderstood that you were going to pay athletes to write stories.

Please accept my apologies. sorry for the interruption.

Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.