Story Poster
Photo by Brett Rojo-USA TODAY Sports
Oklahoma State Football

Mike Gundy Addresses Depth Chart Going Into Iowa State Game

October 18, 2021

STILLWATER – Minus the players who are out for the rest of the season, Oklahoma State was fairly close to full health this past Saturday against Texas. There were a few guys who either didn’t play, like Dezmon Jackson, or make the trip, like receiver Jaden Bray.

Defensive end Brock Martin, who missed the Baylor game with an elbow injury, played against Texas, as did cowboy back Logan Carter, though he didn’t record any stats. Martin had a good game as he recorded two total tackles, one tackle for loss and one quarterback hurry.

Tyren Irby missed the Texas game is not listed on the depth chart this week.

Going into Iowa State, the Cowboys look to be just a bit healthier than they were last week.

As you can see, running back Dezmon Jackson isn’t listed, but he made the trip to Austin and even suited up for the game, but didn’t see any action.

“[Jaylen Warren’s] rolling and Dominic [Richardson] came in and got some plays, but [Dezmon Jackson’s] healthy,” said head coach Mike Gundy said of Dez Jackson. “He practiced most of last week, he could’ve played, but he should even be better this week. I’ve said it every week that it’s a lot of carries for [Warren], but it’s just when he’s as successful as he is and he gets a little stronger as the game goes on, boy it’s sure hard to get him out.”

I really find it hard to argue with Gundy on this one as Jaylen Warren’s had 659 yards and four touchdowns in the past four games.

While Logan Carter isn’t list, he saw some action against Texas and should be a few steps closer to healthy as the week progresses.

“Full go we won’t know because you’re dealing with, you know, when you have an issue where you have back problems, you have to get your nerves firing again at a pace that would be normal body type, and it gets better every day,” Gundy said of Carter’s injury. “When all that starts firing back to full speed, then when he moves around, he’ll look like he did. He’s probably 70% [healthy] now, then maybe at the end of this week he’ll be 80[%].”

However, redshirt junior Braden Cassity played well against Texas this past weekend, even hauling in two passes for 32 yards, 30 of those coming after the catch with a long of 18-yards.

“He’s doing good for where we thought he was preseason to where he is now,” said Gundy of Braden Cassity. “He lost some battles Saturday, but he’s competing against guys that are physically…he’s outmatched physically against those guys, but his effort, his willingness, his competitive nature and all that’s been fantastic.”

Jaden Bray didn’t make the trip to Austin but is listed on the two-deep for Iowa State and kicker Tanner Brown remains at the No. 1 kicker spot following the game against Texas where he was 4-for-4 on FGs and 2-for-2 on extra points.

Discussion from...

Mike Gundy Addresses Depth Chart Going Into Iowa State Game

4,308 Views | 2 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by Zach Lancaster
Zen
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Golf analogy aside, I wonder what is wrong with Hale as the kicker?
Sounds like Gundy, as of late is loosening up on his rule about not disclosing the injuries that his players have.
I wonder if it would make any difference to this team is all of our receivers were healthy, considering how inaccurate Sanders has been throwing the ball? His inconsistent play is not all the fault of a line that cannot protect him long enough.
Zach Lancaster
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Staff
Zen said:

Golf analogy aside, I wonder what is wrong with Hale as the kicker?
Sounds like Gundy, as of late is loosening up on his rule about not disclosing the injuries that his players have.
I wonder if it would make any difference to this team is all of our receivers were healthy, considering how inaccurate Sanders has been throwing the ball? His inconsistent play is not all the fault of a line that cannot protect him long enough.

I think it's all mental for Hale and it stems back from tearing his ACL before Bedlam last season. For whatever reason he just hasn't gotten his head right.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.