Story Poster
Photo by Bruce Waterfield/OSU Athletics
Oklahoma State Football

Collin Oliver Is Having a Huge Impact as a True Freshman

October 25, 2021

STILLWATER – I think everyone expected the Oklahoma State defense to be pretty good this season. They’ve been able to hold opposing offenses under their averages all season and have helped win multiple games this season.

Something I don’t think everyone expected was just how good freshman Collin Oliver would be playing seven games into the season.

Bruce Waterfield/OSU Athletics
Caption

“I said there’d be a role [for Oliver], I was thinking 8-10 plays a game because he’s shown that pass rush ability in practice, but I would not have though that he could get to where he is now at his position as a true freshman,” said head coach Mike Gundy.

I remember talking to Marshall Levenson and Erik Gee in the Boone Pickens Stadium press box prior to the spring game this past April and talking about how Oliver was going to play some and make an impact his freshman season. However, I don’t remember talking about this kind of impact.

He currently leads the team in tackles for loss at 7.5 for 31 yards, as well as sacks with 4.5 for 24 yards. He’s also fourth on the team in quarterback hurries with four. He recorded one of the sacks against Iowa State this past Saturday. To put that impact into perspective, Oliver only has 18 total tackles on the season. He was also tabbed a Freshman All-American this past week by multiple national outlets.

Bruce Waterfield/OSU Athletics
Caption

“He’s further along now, and usually it happens about November, but I would agree, he’s fine,” said coach Gundy. “The reason why [he’s doing fine] is we have so many defensive linemen; he’s not having to play 50 plays a game, he’s 28-32 a game. So, that’s what’s helping him, is he’s not in as much as some of these other freshmen, like Trace Ford played a bunch last year.”

So, what’s allowed him to have this level of success?

"He's freakishly athletic,” said coach Gundy. “He's got a very strong, flexible lower body and he can bend. He can turn the corner and he can drop his knees, his hips, and bend and get under blocks. He's powerful enough to come back the other way and has a powerful athleticism that allows him to be a good football player and elite pass rusher. He’s liable to be 20 pounds bigger and stronger next year at this time.”

He’s currently 6-2, 225-pounds. Just imagine how much havoc he’ll wreak at 20 pounds heavier.

Discussion from...

Collin Oliver Is Having a Huge Impact as a True Freshman

1,801 Views | 2 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by NJAggie
CaliforniaCowboy
How long do you want to ignore this user?
"He's currently 6-2, 225-pounds. Just imagine how much havoc he'll wreak at 20 pounds heavier."

yep... he'll be up to FB size then.... that could be impressive.

it's amazing he's doing so well at DE as an undersized LB. astonishing actually

NJAggie
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Now I'm not saying he's the next Leslie O'Neal. But, seeing him hopping around on the field it sure reminded me of LO as a Freshman hopping around the huddle. Just energy and excitement. Havoc now, and probably more so later.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.