Story Poster
Photo by Michael C. Johnson-USA TODAY Sports
Oklahoma State Football

It's Time to Quit Doubting Spencer Sanders, Just in Time for Bedlam and Big 12 Title Game

November 21, 2021

LUBBOCK, Texas – I have found it interesting all season long as football media ranging from local beat writers, columnists, radio talk show hosts, game commentators, and you name it have made Oklahoma State quarterback Spencer Sanders a focal point of whether Oklahoma State could get to the Big 12 Championship Game. Everybody said Sanders would need to be consistent and would have to avoid mistakes, particularly turnovers.

To continue reading, you must be a Pokes Report Premium subscriber.
Discussion from...

It's Time to Quit Doubting Spencer Sanders, Just in Time for Bedlam and Big 12 Title Game

2,556 Views | 10 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by CaliforniaCowboy
Orangeheart72
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Agree Robert. And I think there's still more upside in Sander's game if he has that "special on game" show up. I was at Corvallis and saw his start and everyone by now has seen some great throws out of his arm. If he gets hot....watch out.
CaliforniaCowboy
no it isn't. (time to believe in Sanders)

I guess you missed the TTech game.... we should have won that by a mile. Did Sanders even hit 50% on passing? he was around 50% most of the game.... sigh.

He can probably manage the game and keep us in it if he doesn't screw it up... but if others get the dropsies or fumble fingers then the hope of a come from behind or a rally are practically zero.

The defense can keep us in it, and get us back in a game if Sanders isn't asked to do too much.

A solid passing game of about 180-200 with no ints., and a run or two for a first down, and we should pull this one out.

Sanders just needs to get the ball to the playmakers, and our OLine and DLine need to continue to control the field.
WCOkie
I watched it, Sanders receivers are what kept tt in the game, Sanders showed poise a strong arm and good decision making.
CaliforniaCowboy
WCOkie said:

I watched it, Sanders receivers are what kept tt in the game, Sanders showed poise a strong arm and good decision making.
interesting.... all the reports said that spectacular catches (to bad passes) are what kept OSU in the game...

and even in this article, Sanders himself said he needs to learn the plays (after 3 freaking years)

I appreciate the comments of others... but apparently nobody else (including Sanders) seems to have seen what you saw.

50% passing by a QB in a Tech game, in any other season, would have been an OSU butt kicking up one side of the street and down the other.

I don't want to pick on Sanders, but my goodness he did nothing Saturday that any QB on the roster couldn't have also done.

I'm glad that Coach Rattay seems to have gotten him out of the happy feet panicked approach of the past, that is certainly helpful and has gone a long way toward Sander's improvement.

WCOkie
I watched the game what others say isn't relevant. Sanders is a stand up kid and a poke thru and thru, what did you want him to say, well I hit Martin in the hands for a td and he dropped it, I hit Martin for a 20yd gain but he dropped it, I put the ball right where it needed to be for another td but my guy fell down. I'm not sure that's what a leader would do but that's just me I guess.
CaliforniaCowboy
WCOkie said:

I watched the game what others say isn't relevant. Sanders is a stand up kid and a poke thru and thru, what did you want him to say, well I hit Martin in the hands for a td and he dropped it, I hit Martin for a 20yd gain but he dropped it, I put the ball right where it needed to be for another td but my guy fell down. I'm not sure that's what a leader would do but that's just me I guess.
I'm not trying to bash the kid, and I'm not going to post on this again..

I was only referencing quotes from Gundy and from Sanders (that others reported)... and all of us saw....

Sanders said missed ASSIGNMENTS, not off target throws.... they were misses... like somebody didn't know what play was called.. .

"...I have to fix my MA's (missed assignments) and will be ready for next week." (Sanders)

and this...

ON QUARTERBACK SPENCER SANDERS' PERFORMANCE:

"I thought he was fine. I didn't hear a lot of complaining on the headset." (M. Gundy - post game)
Orangeheart72
Agree. We watched the game with a group of folks and several times people commented about well thrown passes being dropped. Cal is correct there were two great catches, but not out of this world in my view. Both of those were thrown where the defender (left throw) and defenders (right throw) couldn't likely intercept. And Sanders now throws away about 20% of his passes to take care of the ball or field position so I think he's our best option at this point. Gundy might not be far behind with experience but he doesn't have it. Sanders accounted passing/running for almost 300 yards Saturday. Not a shoddy day against a fairly tough D at their house. I'm hopeful Shane will be good when and if he's up for a turn starting, but in my opinion, Sanders mobility is a difference maker.
CaliforniaCowboy
Orangeheart72 said:

Agree. We watched the game with a group of folks and several times people commented about well thrown passes being dropped. Cal is correct there were two great catches, but not out of this world in my view. Both of those were thrown where the defender (left throw) and defenders (right throw) couldn't likely intercept. And Sanders now throws away about 20% of his passes to take care of the ball or field position so I think he's our best option at this point. Gundy might not be far behind with experience but he doesn't have it. Sanders accounted passing/running for almost 300 yards Saturday. Not a shoddy day against a fairly tough D at their house. I'm hopeful Shane will be good when and if he's up for a turn starting, but in my opinion, Sanders mobility is a difference maker.
Shane is THE DUDE..... my gosh. (my Gunnar comment was a total joke). Shane is what 3-0 as a starter, and 1-1 off the bench, rallying to beat TU in his first ever action in a COVID year where he got no first team practice time.

no if's and's or butts....

if we had not taken him out last year, he'd be in Weeden stratosphere right now.

Shane has only ever played in extreme adverse situations, and has come through with splendidly every time, except Bedlam last year, where that OU defense had already knocked Spencer out of the game, we were down several scores, and they totally unleased on Illingworth, in his true-freshman campaign.

at this point, Sanders is the most experienced, and we need to stay with him....
Orangeheart72
I hope you're right Cal. Shane to me just hasn't overwhelmed yet. He's so statuesque back there, but again, I hope you're seeing something I'm missing.
CaliforniaCowboy
Orangeheart72 said:

I hope you're right Cal. Shane to me just hasn't overwhelmed yet. He's so statuesque back there, but again, I hope you're seeing something I'm missing.
Shane had gotten zero chance.to learn and prepare, and yet he's 3-0 with a Weeden type CU-win off the 3rd string bench against TU last year.

He's statuesque like, say Weeden, or Roethlisberger, or any number of true NFL style drop back passers.

Shane has delivered practically every time that he's been asked, with zero prep... all he needs is time under center.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.