Story Poster
Photo by Getty Images/iStockphoto
Oklahoma State Football Recruiting

NIL Already Having Impact on Recruiting?

December 14, 2021

STILLWATER – How about this? In the growing big money scenario of NIL deals in major college football it seems as if linemen, offensive and defensive big men are in line to bring in the most. Sure, individually there are quarterbacks like Ohio State early enrollee and now transfer to Texas quarterback Quinn Ewers that haul in some big bucks, but when it comes to Oklahoma State’s recruiting class they can point to a pair of linemen where NIL may have been most involved.

To continue reading, you must be a Pokes Report Premium subscriber.
Discussion from...

NIL Already Having Impact on Recruiting?

7,970 Views | 40 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by CaliforniaCowboy
NJAggie
How long do you want to ignore this user?
The reality is that although there may be a page of "rules" out there on the website the NCAA has said they will not be policing NIL. And even if they did as your research shows there is no real way to ever clearly say it is or isn't in a legal manner as long as the agreement doesn't clearly state it is. Which means this is what we will be living with. It's breaking out all over the SEC, but its just the money they were handing out under the table.

We're simply going to have to play the game as best we can, and we will probably see more talent bleed to the SEC. I don't get a feel that many of the other conferences/schools are interested in paying for play at the level the SEC schools are willing to do it. So that should help us vs the rest of the A5.

However, the G5 schools that want to move up will see it as an opportunity, and so look for schools like SMU to adopt the SEC model, and try to NIL their way into the A5.

At some point you're going to have to see the schools split and some adopt NIL fully and just simply become pro leagues maybe even just leasing the name/logos from the schools, and the others return to a much lessened Ivy league type of model.

CaliforniaCowboy
I believe that you are correct, likely on all points....

I"m not interested in any league where only schools with loaded donors can compete. The NFL fixed that problem years ago with salary caps, controlling the schedules, market restrictions and other measures to keep their league competitive.

This uncontrolled NIL stuff would be worse than the NFL problems were, and I have not watched the NFL in years.

Hopefully OSU ditches this nonsense and follows the group with the Ivey League model.
NJAggie
I agree I'd want OSU to go no scholarships rather than pro.
GumbyFromPokeyLand
The ultimate problem with NIL, unlike labor or services, is that you cannot place/assign/establish a market price/value on an athlete's name image or likeness. Thus boosters, fans, marketers and/or advertisers can determine for themselves how much the name, image or likeness of an athlete is singularly worth to them. If I want to pay Spencer Sanders $1mm for a T-shirt with his name and likeness, who's gonna stop me.

Anybody that did not see this coming is is simply a fool. To their credit, the NCAA knew this was a bad idea, but when states and the federal government are on the other side of the issue, there is little they can or are willing to do.
CaliforniaCowboy
that all may be true, and I think there are no fools, everybody knew this, it was brought on by the athletes, the NCAA/Presidents and everybody else did their best to curtail it.

If Sanders creates a shirt with his likeness and somebody pays $1 mil for it, or 1 mil people pay $1 for it would be legitimate..... offering a guy money to be on the team is not legitimate (e.g., all linemen at Texas)

The Sanders T-shirt could possibly sell even if Spencer transferred, or graduated... the pancake club money stops when you're no longer on the team.... which I believe is a violation. (i.e., all the sudden your NIL is of zero value simply because you don't play for Texas?).....

You can't control the value of their NIL, but clearly the NIL value cannot be contingent solely upon playing for a certain team.
Refresh
Page 2 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.