Story Poster
Photo by Marshall Levenson - Pokes Report
Oklahoma State Football

The Oklahoman Does a Story on the Tragic Incident Desean Brown Deeply Regrets

December 22, 2021

STILLWATER – Last Wednesday Oklahoma State signed Choctaw High School standout defensive end Desean Brown to a letter of intent to play football on full scholarship for the Cowboys. The Oklahoman has now released a story on Brown on what had to be the worst mistake of his life. However, it was a tragic incident that Oklahoma State felt should not destroy Brown’s future.

The Oklahoman story has many more details as they were able to obtain the report from the Moore Police Dept.

It was March 14 of this year; Brown was speeding, well over the posted limit, on Eastern Ave. and he hit a youngster on a bicycle and that youngster was killed. Brown was not under the influence of alcohol or any illegal substance. He was driving too fast. He was at fault. Since Brown was a juvenile and 17-years-old at the time his name was not released to the public. The continued court involvement and records were sealed. Brown was placed under the Youthful Offender Act in Oklahoma.

The Youthful Offender Act allows teenagers charged with serious crimes the opportunity for release into the community if they complete a treatment program. It gives a sentencing alternative for those teenagers, rather than dealing with them purely as a juvenile or as an adult. The purpose of the Youthful Offender Act is to better ensure the public safety by holding youths accountable for the commission of serious crimes, while affording courts methods of rehabilitation for those youths the courts determine, at their discretion, may be amenable to such methods. It is the further purpose of the Youthful Offender Act to allow those youthful offenders whom the courts find to be amenable to rehabilitation by the methods prescribed in the Youthful Offender Act to be placed in the custody or under the supervision of the Office of Juvenile Affairs for the purpose of accessing the rehabilitative programs provided by that Office.

Brown was charged vehicular manslaughter. He pleaded guilty and that was later amended to nolo contendre or no contest. He has done everything the judge in the case asked him to do.  

Brown hasn’t openly spoken about the situation, but those close to him say it is something he thinks about every day and has much remorse over. He has said he would trade places with the victim if he could. 

As you can imagine, the relatives of the deceased have heavy emotions with regard to the situation.

The Oklahoman became aware of the situation over the weekend and pursued it as a story. 

Oklahoma State was aware of the situation after they offered, but they investigated and did their due diligence with the facts presented to them. It was a unanimous decision to go forward with pursuing Brown as a student-athlete. He had not been in trouble previously, has an excellent academic record.

Pat Kinnison - Chief Photographer
Mike Gundy and his staff did their due diligence in investing the incident and Brown.

While Oklahoma State offered before the accident, there were at least six Division I schools that offered Brown after learning of the situation including the University of Oklahoma, University of Oregon, and University of Michigan.

Brown finished with 92 tackles, 31 tackles-for-loss, and 13 sacks this past season. On top of that he had a blocked field goal, blocked a punt, had a pair of forced fumbles, and recovered a fumble that he returned for a touchdown. His numbers as a junior in helping the Yellow Jackets get all the way to the Class 6A-II State Championship Game where they challenged Bixby were also outstanding. He had 75 total tackles, 30.5 tackles-for-loss, and 15 sacks. He also defended two passes, had two fumble recoveries, and an interception.

One person close to the situation told me, “Desean would trade places with the young man that died if he could.” That doesn’t surprise me and neither does the statement one of his teammates said, “I know Desean thinks about that accident every day. It is a terrible thing to have to carry with you. I can look at him and often see that.”

Discussion from...

The Oklahoman Does a Story on the Tragic Incident Desean Brown Deeply Regrets

31,147 Views | 49 Replies | Last: 6 mo ago by Joe Khatib
CaliforniaCowboy
How long do you want to ignore this user?
once again the DOK tries to destroy the Cowboy program.

how freaking carass can an outlet be?

Outing a person's juvenile record is not "news", it is irresponsible.

Crazed_Stallion
LOL, anyone could find it if you just dug a little bit into any court records for the day. They did not "out" anyone. They reported a news story that was being swept under the rug. This kid should never play for Oklahoma State.
CaliforniaCowboy
got it... and they should not pretend that people can be rehabilitated, and nobody with a record should ever be allowed employment, and OSU is "too good" to provide opportunities and second chances.

... and every Cowboy fan that ever did anything they regret, either as a child or an adult, should be forced to wear a scarlet letter so you know not to associate with them....

give it a rest.

CaliforniaCowboy
Crazed_Stallion said:

LOL, anyone could find it if you just dug a little bit into any court records for the day. They did not "out" anyone. They reported a news story that was being swept under the rug. This kid should never play for Oklahoma State.
Since Brown was a juvenile and 17-years-old at the time his name was not released to the public. The continued court involvement and records were sealed. Brown was placed under the Youthful Offender Act in Oklahoma.

The DOK found out last week, and dug back to March to the Moore POLICE records, not the court records.

this was certainly a dastardly deed by the Gooner newspaper. Despicable reporting by whomever did this to the kid.

Crazed_Stallion
JUCO is where the kid needs to go. Not Power 5 DIv 1. Doesn't deserve it as he KILLED someone! Driving this isn't just a "bad thing". It's horrible and he will never play at Oklahoma State the PR backlash is so so so bad and rightfully so as we are the only school to not pull the scholarship offer.

Also, the court docs are online if you would like to read them. They are not under lock and key.. It names him in everything, All you have to do is search his name.
CaliforniaCowboy
you say that like JUCO is a punishment, and only goods things occur at P5 programs....

I will keep you in my prayers.

may God bless you.
Joe Khatib
It's ok guys if he turns out to be really good in the next couple of years we will someone like Ohio State. or Texas try to,poach him through the MAGIC OF THE WONDERFUL WORLD OF NIL (I am only half way being sarcastic here).
Crazed_Stallion
Not saying that, just saying he needs to earn it. JUCO will break you down and build you back. I am simply saying Oklahoma State doesn't need this negativity in the program.
CaliforniaCowboy
I dunno..... you and the DOK seem to be the only one's alleging negativity.

the article says that OSU knew about and vetted it.

also Michigan, Oregon and OU all offered him AFTER they had learned of his accident.... I'm not sure what standard is being applied, but there are apparently many that are viewing this situation differently.

As a result of the youthful offender statute, Brown must continue a rehabilitation plan until at least his 19th birthday, according to the report. Once that period is over, the charge can be expunged from Brown's record if he is in good legal standing.
Crazed_Stallion
also Michigan, Oregon and OU all offered him AFTER they had learned of his accident.... I'm not sure what standard is being applied, but there are apparently many that are viewing this situation differently.

I don't believe this at all.
CaliforniaCowboy
Crazed_Stallion said:

I don't believe this at all.
yet it is from the very same article (above) that reported his plea of "no contest".

it is what was reported... believe what you wish.
Crazed_Stallion
I am, and without Orange tinted glasses anyone can read through this.
CanadianCowboy
Good grief. Your point of view is pretty disturbing. I think your handle describes you well
TeaTownCowboy
You must be without sin, amazing!
Vonrocky
CaliforniaCowboy said:

got it... and they should not pretend that people can be rehabilitated, and nobody with a record should ever be allowed employment, and OSU is "too good" to provide opportunities and second chances.
OU knows a lot about second chances. OSU kicked the best wide receiver in the NFL off the team immediately.

... and every Cowboy fan that ever did anything they regret, either as a child or an adult, should be forced to wear a scarlet letter so you know not to associate with them....

give it a rest.

CaliforniaCowboy
Vonrocky said:

CaliforniaCowboy said:

OU knows a lot about second chances. OSU kicked the best wide receiver in the NFL off the team immediately.

this kid was not on our team at the time of the incident, and he was a MINOR, and the guy that you're referring too was an adult, who intentionally beat up a pregnant women.

can we keep this to apples to apples, please.
Crazed_Stallion
We are, he killed another human being minor or not. Now he will be in the "cowboy culture." See how well that goes. Shouldn't even be allowed on campus.
Crazed_Stallion
Kid shouldn't have killed someone.
Crazed_Stallion
Nope, but I haven't killed someone either.
CanadianCowboy
Wow....
CaliforniaCowboy
CanadianCowboy said:

Wow....
I know right..... SMH

just another example of the deterioration of our society and decline in moral values....

now it is apparently about appearances and some type of vengeance or fake social justice.

the woke culture that preaches not to judge, sure seems judgemental for their own interests.

now back to football....
Justiceforisaiah
I just don't understand how so many can make excuses for this man! He drove a car down 40 mph city street, not the highway, at over 100 mph! That wasn't an accident, his foot had to be pushing down on that pedal, and you know how it feels when your in a car that fast....you absolutely know your going that fast! Now....did he hit another car? No! He hit a bicycle and a human boy, flesh & bone, with absolutely no protect from that mass of metal that literally mowed him down! Just try to imagine the bicycle disintegrated down the road for several blocks! Pieces everywhere, now imagine the horror of the condition of your loved ones body! And this man gets to walk away with a slap on the wrist and everyone saying "oh well, he's a good football player". No he KILLED my nephew because he didn't care that driving wrecklessly over 100mph down a city street would most likely get someone killed!!! As far as remorse, I call bs! Sure, he can put on the sackcloth &ashes for the media, but in court, after the heart wrenching victims statements, when asked if he wanted to say anything to the family, he said no! No apologies, no remorse, no nothing. Why would he? Everyone is so busy slapping him on the back telling him what a good boy he is and welcome to the Cowboys!! I don't understand how being a good football player means you can kill someone and move on like nothing happens. And everyone looking at the boy who lost his life as an unfortunate blip in Desean's life....NO! his name was Isaiah Lee he was 15 and had his whole life ahead of him! He is loved and he is not just a statistic!!!!
CanadianCowboy
We empathize with your loss. There is no argument about that. However, the tragic accident was exactly that - an accident. Involving a minor. There is remorse and a path for redemption, and that is justice. Enough said about that. This is a sports message board. If you joined this board simply to promote "justice" for your relative that excludes redemption then you should accept our sincere condolences and join the sports discussions.
CaliforniaCowboy
Romans 12:17-19

17 Repay no one evil for evil. Have regard for good things in the sight of all men. 18 If it is possible, as much as depends on you, live peaceably with all men. 19 Beloved, do not avenge yourselves, but rather give place to wrath; for it is written, "Vengeance is Mine, I will repay," says the Lord.

may you and your family find peace and comfort, and may God bless you in your time of sorrow.

Crazed_Stallion
Then don't write about it if you don't want anyone to talk about it.
Crazed_Stallion
WCOkie
Crazed_Stallion said:

Then don't write about it if you don't want anyone to talk about it.

Aren't you the guy/gal who claimed once he got his dream offer from uo he was gone and as a result there were no silent commits? C'mon sooner make up your mind.
NJAggie
This is a sad story, and it is suspicious that the Oklahoman took all efforts to get it out in the open, and yes one has to wonder if they would have run a story had he signed with the "right" team.

Kids do stupid things. We've all done something in HS in a car that we shouldn't have that could have led to people being killed. Most of us wound up being lucky and nothing or little happened. This wasn't an intentional act against the young man who was killed. It is serious and the court has acted appropriately.

Justice has to be tempered with mercy or we'd all wind up in prison. The court would have been in the wrong to try to ruin the drivers life in an act of vengeful justice. OSU and the courts can act with full knowledge of this past behavior IF anything occurs in the future. But, there is no reason to deny him an opportunity based on this act.

To the uncle of the young man who was killed, my sincere condolences. I in no way expect to change your mind. Thank you for expressing the families thoughts on this.
GumbyFromPokeyLand
Crazed_Stallion said:

I am, and without Orange tinted glasses anyone can read through this.

Don't believe the Zeros offered with full knowledge?

Have a look….. https://247sports.com/Player/DeSean-Brown-46110209/TimelineEvents/

Clearly your Boy, Brent "Skeletor" Venables, didn't have a problem with Brown and was perfectly willing to welcome him to Family Zero since he extended an official offer just 4 days before the early signing date.

Thoughts?

Joe Khatib
Bingo, right on the money, by the way I have the ACTUAL NAMES of two of your most prolific protagonists on OP if you are interested. It always blows some of these arrogant jerks minds when you call them by their real name after they openly nsult you.
Crazed_Stallion
Yes he did, but according to multiple sources this was pulled just hours after researching the incident.

This is all water under the bridge. This will not change anybody's mind on how they feel about the horrible accident.
GumbyFromPokeyLand
Crazed_Stallion said:

Yes he did, but according to multiple sources this was pulled just hours after researching the incident.

This is all water under the bridge. This will not change anybody's mind on how they feel about the horrible accident.

Of course it's not gonna change anybody's mind. Didn't change the Zeros coaches mind either. Not buying the offer was pulled. You said it yourself, the info was available, all they had to do was look it up. What, they do their research after they offer a scholly? Calling BS unless you provide a published source posted before signing day.

Provide a link.

Further, when you first responded to the news that he was offered by the Zeros after learning of the accident, you simply said you "do not believe this at all". If you knew OU pulled their offer after learning of the accident, why didn't you just say so then? We all know why, you're just making up the story the offer was pulled.
Crazed_Stallion
Was just simply saying what was being reported. It's pretty funny that an offer would go out at 9pm at night and be pulled by 3pm the next day.

Listen I don't care what y'all think. My opinion is that Gundy has done a GREAT job keeping PR in check from troubled players. This just has nightmare all over IMO. we can all agree to disagree. Wish him the best, but hopefully he EARNS anything after what has happened.

THE END!
GumbyFromPokeyLand
Crazed_Stallion said:

Was just simply saying what was being reported. It's pretty funny that an offer would go out at 9pm at night and be pulled by 3pm the next day.

Listen I don't care what y'all think. My opinion is that Gundy has done a GREAT job keeping PR in check from troubled players. This just has nightmare all over IMO. we can all agree to disagree. Wish him the best, but hopefully he EARNS anything after what has happened.

THE END!

Offer pulled? Post the report. Prove you're not making things up. Otherwise, we know what THE END means - you can't defend your "story".
CaliforniaCowboy

DeSean Brown - A name that Oklahoma fans had been waiting to see get an offer was in-state 2022 EDGE DeSean Brown, and it finally happened Saturday. Brown flew under the radar of the previous staff with their efforts focused on Marvin Jones Jr. If you ever got a chance to see Brown play at Choctaw High School or even just seen his film, it's hard not to get excited about what he could do in a Venables defense. Brown is a big-bodied, explosive and physical pass rusher that has tremendous upside at the next level. When the offer went out, it was hard not to like Oklahoma's chances here being the in-state powerhouse program with a brillant defensive minded head coach. However, things have cooled down between the two parties since the offer was extended, and a match is seeming less and less likely.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/ncaafb/ou-football-recruiting-a-quick-rundown-of-recent-commitments-and-remaining-targets/ar-AARNMdM

Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.