Story Poster
Photo by Pat Kinnison - Chief Photographer
Oklahoma State Football

Oklahoma State Football Predicted in Top 10 of ESPN's 2022 Way-Too-Early Poll

January 11, 2022

STILLWATER – The 2021 season for Oklahoma State was one of the best in school history. They also return quite a bit of talent going into the 2022 season and ESPN has taken notice as Mark Schlabach placed the Pokes inside the top 10 at No. 9 in ESPN’s 2022 way-too-early top 25.

Here’s what Schlabach and ESPN had to say about the Pokes:

“2021 record: 12-2 (8-1 Big 12)
Starters expected to return: 7 offense, 6 defense, 1 special teams
Key starters expected to leave: RB Jaylen Warren, WR Tay Martin, G Josh Sills, LB Malcolm Rodriguez, LB Devin Harper, S Kolby Harvell-Peel
Key additions: WR Talyn Shettron, QB Garrett Rangel, RB Braylin Presley, OT Tyrone Webber, LB Xavier Benson, RB C.J. Brown

Outlook: The Cowboys came within a few inches of winning the Big 12 title and possibly reaching the CFP, but instead settled for a 21-point comeback in their win over Notre Dame in the Fiesta Bowl, which coach Mike Gundy called the biggest in the program's history. With quarterback Spencer Sanders and most of the offense returning, the Pokes should be potent again in 2022. The defense will need a facelift -- Knowles left for Ohio State and leading tacklers Rodriguez and Harper departed. Gundy isn't sure whether he'll promote from within or hire an outside candidate as defensive coordinator. The Pokes will play Big 12 road games at Baylor, TCU, Kansas State, Kansas and Oklahoma next season.”

I’d certainly add running back Ollie Gordon to the ‘Key Additions’ section.

While the Pokes lose quite a bit of talent across the board, Tay Martin, Jaylen Warren, Danny Godlevske and Josh Sills on offense, Malcolm Rodriguez, Devin Harper, Christian Holmes, Tanner McCalister, Tre Sterling and Kolby Harvell-Peel on defense, Mike Gundy and Co. also return quite a bit of talent across the board.

Coming off the best game of his career, which came after a solid 2021 season, Spencer Sanders is set to return and lead the Pokes offensively. He’s also has a solid receiver corps to throw to, which has a lot of young talent that showed up this past season.

On the defensive side of the ball, the defensive line will be led by Brock Martin and freshman All-American Collin Oliver. Trace Ford will also be back from injury and will be a huge factor, as would Tyler Lacy if he returns for another season.

On the back end, Jason Taylor II leads the DBs, along with Thomas Harper and Jarrick Bernard-Converse. Young corners Korie Black and Jabbar Muhammad gave people a glimpse into what the future of the corner position looks like with their performances against Notre Dame in the Fiesta Bowl.

Discussion from...

Oklahoma State Football Predicted in Top 10 of ESPN's 2022 Way-Too-Early Poll

1,079 Views | 4 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by CaliforniaCowboy
CaliforniaCowboy
How long do you want to ignore this user?
I wonder how stale this ESPN article will be after signing day.....
backphil
"stale" in what way?
Orangeheart72
I feel pretty good that we're not losing the bulk of our talent Cal. You never know when an NIL snatch or new girlfriend might grab a player or two......but some of this seems coordinated to establish 85 room, whether that's admitted to or not. (We're sitting right on 85 per RA.) We've lost 2 or 3 meaningful transfers up to now in my view. One made sense for him seemingly (tOSU), the others (U. Neb and Mizzou I think.), who knows why. But as you've noted yourself, the portal recruiting process and door swings both ways. We've watched a lot of portal successes on the field at OSU this last year. Likely wouldn't have smelled the top 10 maybe 20 without them. Gundy or his folks seem on top of this.
CaliforniaCowboy
backphil said:

"stale" in what way?
meaning, according to the OSU recruiting reports, we have recently offered quite a few scholarships to kids in the portal, and since we're supposedly full up with 85 scholarship players on the roster.... then my assumption is/was that there could/should be a number of roster changes within the next few weeks leading up to signing day...

also meaning, these silly articles should not be published prior to signing day... THEN give us the way too early prognostication.

This "rush to be first" approach to faux journalism is about as useful as predicting the gender of a baby before a couple is even pregnant.

Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.