Story Poster
Photo by Mark J. Rebilas-USA TODAY Sports
Oklahoma State Football

Per Recruits: Cowboys Could Name Defensive Coordinator Sunday (Jan. 23)

January 23, 2022

STILLWATER – According to a pair of prospects that attended the Oklahoma State Junior Day recruiting event on Saturday they were told to pay attention because Oklahoma State could be announcing a new defensive coordinator on Sunday, Jan. 23, a matter of hours, less than 24, since those recruits were on campus. No name was mentioned, but in the last 48 hours former Auburn defensive coordinator and Vanderbilt head coach Derek Mason has become even more prominent than early in the week.

To continue reading, you must be a Pokes Report Premium subscriber.
Discussion from...

Per Recruits: Cowboys Could Name Defensive Coordinator Sunday (Jan. 23)

7,848 Views | 47 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by Zach Lancaster
CanadianCowboy
How long do you want to ignore this user?
OK, Cali...now it's your turn.... Polston31 has changed his post presentations from attacking people (you) in a personal manner to presenting opinions and ideas. And doing it very well, I might add. There is no need to tell anyone to stay out of a discussion, especially when the opinion is stated clearly, respectfully, and credibly.

I "get" your point about pure reporting needing to be sourced and checked, but these days speed is everything - on the field and in the news. There is nothing wrong with throwing out potentially breaking news via unsourced and unchecked social media. It allows the opportunity for you to decide which "tweet source" is most consistently credible and which ones are just smokescreen covers - the reader is in control of the message received. But in all cases, the real and truthful news will come out, sourced, checked, and verified. In our case (Pokes Report) we have the benefit of the breaking unchecked unverified potential news is presented by the same reporters that are following up with the sourcing, checking, and verifying - and are as often as not breaking the verified news first among the other journalistic services.

Can't we all just get along.....?
Orangeheart72
All other carrying on aside, I'm excited about Derek Mason as our DC. I truly hope this works out to be fact and for the good of our program and recruiting.
Polston31
I think Mason is a guy that can somewhat seamlessly carry on what we have created on defense. I am excited if it's him to see him elevate our defensive recruiting as well. We have been much much better in that area but I think he will enhanced it even more. Future could be really bright with him at the helm of the defense
CanadianCowboy
I'm becoming more "sold" on Mason, although I admit I was one that was pulling for Clements to step up into the DC role then, after Clements, was particularly impressed with Belk first, then Rossi and Reeves. However, the more I read about Mason, the more I am at ease with the decision should be The One. Go Pokes!
CaliforniaCowboy
CanadianCowboy said:

OK, Cali...now it's your turn.... Polston31 has changed his post presentations from attacking people (you) in a personal manner to presenting opinions and ideas. And doing it very well, I might add. There is no need to tell anyone to stay out of a discussion, especially when the opinion is stated clearly, respectfully, and credibly.

I "get" your point about pure reporting needing to be sourced and checked, but these days speed is everything - on the field and in the news. There is nothing wrong with throwing out potentially breaking news via unsourced and unchecked social media. It allows the opportunity for you to decide which "tweet source" is most consistently credible and which ones are just smokescreen covers - the reader is in control of the message received. But in all cases, the real and truthful news will come out, sourced, checked, and verified. In our case (Pokes Report) we have the benefit of the breaking unchecked unverified potential news is presented by the same reporters that are following up with the sourcing, checking, and verifying - and are as often as not breaking the verified news first among the other journalistic services.

Can't we all just get along.....?
oh good lord CC...

the "discussion" was my comment... he wasn't discussing anything else. He clearly has no idea what journalistic standards are or were, and since his retort was nonsensical, as it allegedly related to my statements, that is why I asked him to stay out. I couldn't care less if he comments on the thread subject or not, but he was commenting on my comment - as usual.

and I agree with you that the speed of social media is rampant and is often the first place that we may hear something, I simply had not heard it called "being reported" before.

"Being reported" still has the same journalistic standard, which is from a credible source (or two). In this thread, RA listed T0he Athletic reporter as his "credible source", which I understand, but we don't know (from this thread) whether that journalist listed a credible source, or simply claimed "my sources say".... which does not meet any journalistic standard.... it is typically considered gossip at that point.

I don't twit, so I asked him to list the original twit so that we could analyze it, but it was never provided.

he did not change his stripes....

besides, the whole dang discussion was over by the time you chimed in to beat the dead horse

CanadianCowboy
Thanks, Cali. I stand by what I said.
CaliforniaCowboy
CanadianCowboy said:

Thanks, Cali. I stand by what I said.
but it's not me... I swear it's not me....

I did not respond to him nor to Gumby's posts (3 or 4 of them), I responded to Marshall because he's in the biz and has some idea of what I'm actually talking about

it was only then that 31 started commenting about me in consecutive posts, that I replied back to him. I was leaving him completely alone until he starting turning the posts on me, what I'm doing, and what I'm thinking... and I did none of what he claimed.

I'm just sick of these two clowns badgering me. I ignored them at first, but they would not stop. these two posts beloe were in direct replies to my comment to Marshall

Polston31
In reply to CaliforniaCowboy 9:51a

Way to make something from nothing. Feldman simply reported Mason is a strong candidate for the job. Pokes reported shared that with us. No one has verified or claimed to know 100 percent. Feels like you are trying to trash these dudes for simply reporting what is out there. Making us aware. Not throwing out wild lies or reporting false information.

Polston31
In reply to CaliforniaCowboy 9:53a

And we can all verify what they reported because we all have seen it on Twitter. Does Feldman need to write a news paper article for you to think it's credible?
rcfb
I understand what other sites are saying and I don't care about them at all. Robert, when can we expect decision from Gundy according to you and can you give us top 2-3 candidates ? Even this article reads like any other article from other sites. "Could" announce, is a typical hedging. You are quoting recruits that they might announce it today, yourself have no info on date of announcement?
NJAggie
Well I'm pretty neutral on Mason, but as for the original reports on this the guy nailed everything else in the situation as far as staff changes at Auburn. So I'd hardly discount his reporting on this matter.

I would be curious to find out when the pic of Mason and Gundy at STW airport was taken, because it was posted Friday evening as if it was new and stated 31 minutes ago. If truly taken then this rumor has more legs, if it was days ago when he came to interview it may not have any.
aggie1
California Cowboy,
He is right and a lot of people on this site are quite tired of you. I am. You are a chronic complainer and "pick" at everything. If you don't have something positive to say, don't post or leave it alone.

I'm not going to get into a post war with you, so just sit back and give the keyboard a rest.
CaliforniaCowboy
aggie1 said:

California Cowboy,
He is right and a lot of people on this site are quite tired of you. I am. You are a chronic complainer and "pick" at everything. If you don't have something positive to say, don't post or leave it alone.

I'm not going to get into a post war with you, so just sit back and give the keyboard a rest.
and I'm tired of you butting in and playing dog pile.

If you can't talk about the topic, please do not be like the creepy others and talk about me.... I'm not interested in what you think of me.... you don't even know me.

I'm never going to rest about anything when people like you are posting bad things about me and badgering me.

Please stop.
Zach Lancaster
Staff
I told y'all I was going to lock this thread if y'all kept going at each other. I didn't want to, but now I have to.
Refresh
Page 2 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.