Story Poster
Photo by © Rob Schumacher/The Republic / USA TODAY NETWORK
Oklahoma State Football

Oklahoma State Football Joins Customizable Jersey Program

February 17, 2022

STILLWATER – A partnership between Fanatics and OneTeam Partners, a company which specializes in commercializing the group rights of athletes, was announced in early February and allows schools to sell customizable football jerseys and the players to benefit from the sales of their jerseys.

Well, get ready Cowboy fans because Oklahoma State announced this morning they’ll be joining the program and will begin selling customizable player jerseys starting this fall.

Oklahoma State joins the likes of Alabama, LSU, Michigan, Notre Dame and Penn State among others.

According to the release put out by Fanatics when the deal was first announced, “Fanatics will offer customizable Nike, adidas and Under Armour football jerseys prior to the kickoff of the 2022 college football season. OneTeam will administer the group rights of the college athletes included in the program, and athletes will have the opportunity to opt into the program through the free COMPASS NIL app available in the Apple and Android App Stores.”

Discussion from...

Oklahoma State Football Joins Customizable Jersey Program

2,137 Views | 3 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by CaliforniaCowboy
CaliforniaCowboy
How long do you want to ignore this user?
that sounds pretty illegal.... I thought the NIL was not supposed to be related to the University, wasn't that one of the NCAA stipulations?
Orangeheart72
I think it's a situation where there are no rules or even guidelines published by the NCAA. And with Notre Dame, Alabama, etc. using this, it sounds like a fairly safe bet not much will happen. Of course, when you're basketball team gets screwed over while KU and Duke skate......It's hard to tell!
CaliforniaCowboy
Orangeheart72 said:

I think it's a situation where there are no rules or even guidelines published by the NCAA. And with Notre Dame, Alabama, etc. using this, it sounds like a fairly safe bet not much will happen. Of course, when you're basketball team gets screwed over while KU and Duke skate......It's hard to tell!
but there are rules, that's why I said it sounds illegal.

we posted the rules in the last thread like this.

you're not supposed to use the image of the school/team, or some such.... just your own NIL.

In this case, the kid would be making bank off of the schools image (jersey). If they were just selling generic jerseys with the schools name on it and the players name an number, then that would be acceptable. This clearly is an example of a kid making money based on the the team/school that they sign with.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.