Story Poster
Photo by Twitter (@ZaneFlores12)
Oklahoma State Football

Oklahoma State Gets Its' 2023 Class QB in Zane Flores

April 17, 2022

(Pokes Report recruiting reporter Emma Lightfoot contributed to this story.)

STILLWATER – The official visit was actually moved up a week, but it didn’t impact anything as 2023 quarterback Zane Flores didn’t need the Spring Finale as he and his parents saw all they needed to see on Easter weekend. Flores left Stillwater Sunday late morning after telling head coach Mike Gundy and staff that he was committed to Oklahoma State.

Give credit to all involved as sophomore slot receiver John Paul Richardson was Flores’ player host. Flores and his parents, Mel and Cindy, spent lots of time with everybody from recruiting staff member Eddie Simpkins to Director of Recruiting Todd Bradford, quarterbacks coach Tim Rattay, offensive coordinator Kasey Dunn and coach Gundy.

Soon after his visit, Pokes Report spoke with Flores who had only good things to say about his time on campus and in Stillwater.

“The visit was awesome,” said Flores. “We were down there earlier this year for an unofficial, so it was a great chance to get the whole family down and see everything again and spend some time with the staff.” 

When it comes to his commitment, Flores provided several reasons as to why he chose the Pokes so soon after his visit. 

“I committed because I feel like Oklahoma State is a really great fit for me. They really bring a lot to the table. The coaches are all great people who I feel like I can work well with, and they have created a great program over the years. Oklahoma State and the town of Stillwater also has a great feel and is somewhere I can really see myself. Just going around the place and talking with coaches and players. I just felt super comfortable.”

I actually saw Rattay and the Flores family on Friday when they went to lunch at Hideaway Pizza on Campus Corner. They were all at practice on Friday where Flores was given an up-close look at practice through the view of the quarterbacks as he was with Rattay and also former Oklahoma State quarterback and quality control coach on offense J.W. Walsh.

Mike Sautter - NebPreps.com
Caption

Flores was wearing a hoodie on Friday from this past season at Gretna High School in Nebraska where they went 12-1 and took the Nebraska Class A State Championship. In watching video, Flores certainly fits the mold of what the Cowboys look for in a quarterback. He is 6-3, 195-pounds and is multiple in his skills. He can make all the throws, outs, seams, crosses, digs and verticals. He is quite capable of throwing on the move. He seems to have more than the expected ability in high school to read defenses and make decisions in the passing game.

Flores is also capable in running the football. He is athletic, has speed, and a good degree of escapability.

He was stellar this past season as a junior as he completed 232-of-331 passes for 2,885-yards and 36 touchdowns against just seven interceptions. He also rushed 74 times for 216-yards and 10 touchdowns.

Up to this point in his recruiting process, Flores has double digit offers including Indiana, Kansas State, Kansas, Pittsburgh, Missouri, Oregon State and Washington. He has received more and more attention over the past few months and was invited to Ohio State to watch spring practice and make an unofficial visit on April 4. He also competed this spring in the Elite 11 and had a strong performance there.

The Cowboys now have five commitments in the 2023 class: QB Zane Flores out of Gretna (NE) High School, DL Jaedon Foreman out of Del City (OK) High School, S Kam Franklin out of Oak Grove (LA) High School and offensive linemen Jack Endean out of Tanque Verde HS in Tucson, AZ and JaKobe Sanders out of Stillwater (OK) High School.

Discussion from...

Oklahoma State Gets Its' 2023 Class QB in Zane Flores

5,108 Views | 4 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by TUSKAPOKE
Joe Khatib
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Ha, he looks a little like Trevor Lawrence with the hair, if he plays anywhere close to Trevor Lawrence that is even better!
Polston31
Boom!
Emma Lightfoot
Haha, I thought the same exact thing!!
TUSKAPOKE
WELCOME COWBOY!!! GO POKES!!!
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.