Story Poster
Photo by Matthew Lynch/CSM/Shutterstock
Oklahoma State Football

Oklahoma State Commit Prince Pines Flips to Tulane

April 28, 2022

STILLWATER – Oklahoma State and Charlie Dickey are going to have to do a little bit more work to shore up the offensive line heading into the 2022 season as Sam Houston State transfer Prince Pines has flipped his commitment to Tulane.

Pines, a 6-5, 330-pound offensive guard, was an FCS All-American and All-WAC honoree during his time at Sam Houston State, which also included helping the Bearkats win an FCS National Championship during the spring season following COVID.

He originally began his college career at Baylor in 2018, redshirting his freshman year. He then played in all 14 games in 2019 and helped the Bears to an 11-3 record and a trip to the Sugar Bowl, before transferring to SHSU.

While the decision to flip his commitment hurts the Pokes, a move to Tulane makes sense as Pines played his high school ball at Tara High School in Baton Rouge, LA.

The Cowboys and Charlie Dickey, while a replacement for Pines will need to be found, will have plenty of depth going into August.

“We will have 25 offensive linemen in August, so we will be just fine. We don’t have them now,” Gundy said when asked if he was worried. “They (healthy offensive line survivors) are doing well (this spring), and most of these guys are first year players because we have the four starters that are in rehab (post-surgery rehab) right now. These guys are, for the most part, new, so they are getting full-speed work which is good because if they get thrown into the fire in August, then they’ve had a lot of reps this spring.”

Hunter Woodard, Preston Wilson, Joe Michalski and Silas Barr will be back from rehab in time for fall camp, which gets the Pokes back to 14 linemen, including the guys who played in the spring.

Adding to that, Dickey and Co. added two transfers this spring, Jason Brooks, a 6-4, 300-pound lineman from Vanderbilt and Casey Collier, a 6-7, 300-pound lineman from USC. Both of those guys will be in Stillwater at the start of the summer. That gets the Pokes up to 16.

There are three freshmen Austin Kawecki, David Dotson and Calvin Harvey that signed in the 2022 recruiting class, plus there are five preferred walk-ons, which includes All-City offensive tackle Matthew Wade of Edmond Deer Creek, Norman’s Viliami Makahununiu and 6-4, 280-pound athlete Evan Bax of Marietta (Walton), Ga.

Discussion from...

Oklahoma State Commit Prince Pines Flips to Tulane

5,275 Views | 13 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by CaliforniaCowboy
rcfb
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Stop it with plenty of depth already. Most of the freshmen and Walkons are not p5 level or atleast wont be in their first year. And on top of that we lost Cole Birmingham to injury and Darion Jones (His back up in Spring practices) to Portal already. Now Pines, who is supposed to be the number 1 replacement for Cole, day 1 starter is lost. I dont understand OSU Oline recruiting at all.
Crazed_Stallion
This.ALL of this!!
Joe Khatib
I doubt we will miss a 5' 11" 300 lb (Jones) walk on. Pines is a native of Baton Rouge and wanted to be closer to home, it is what it is and there is not much you or I can do about it!
Zen
We don't have the Defense this coming season to win games like last season. I feel sorry for Sanders and the RBs. No O line again.
Vonrocky
rcfb said:

Stop it with plenty of depth already. Most of the freshmen and Walkons are not p5 level or atleast wont be in their first year. And on top of that we lost Cole Birmingham to injury and Darion Jones (His back up in Spring practices) to Portal already. Now Pines, who is supposed to be the number 1 replacement for Cole, day 1 starter is lost. I dont understand OSU Oline recruiting at all.

I'm inclined to agree. Last few years my observation is some of the oline recruits we put on the field in games seem to either lack the intelligence or the passion to play the game at division one levels.I feel like Gundy spends more time designing offensive plays and the executing of his plays in practice sessions than he does in recruiting an oline that will help him execute those plans.
Rlawyer212
Same problem, different year. I can't wait until Spencer has a bad game and Gundy says oh well we need to protect him better. Well then DO IT.
eecowboy
I'm pretty sure (pick the forum we've all associated ourselves with following the Cowboys and RA over the years) that I've EVER called for a coaching change, but Dickey has got to go.

Sure wish we had him right after Wick, he would've been a Godsend then instead of all but Henson … but that ship, along with the years and lost recruits in-between then and now, has sailed.

He needs to be alerted that this is it and he can stay on as an analyst if so desired next year, and the new recruits this summer will know that.

It's time for a variety of reasons to get a younger, fresh, hungry a$$ solid recruiter that relates and translates to the kids today in the trenches. This narrative of our O-Line deficiencies has gone on for far too many years and recruiting cycles, and it has to change immediately. Or we will keep repeating history.

I hate it … but it's time to let Coach Dickey know that this season will be his last, and for Gundy to get the best available in here now.

Go Cowboys!
Orangeheart72
You can laugh at me if it turns out I'm wrong, but even with Birmingham's injury, I think this will be the best O-line Dickey has had by third or fourth game forward. I think he's had some bad luck, but it is turning upwards and IF I'm correct, we'll be even better the next year as we're young on o-line (and absent injuries getting deeper). And Dickey will be fine again as he was at K-State.
rcfb
We will definitely know cause the fourth game is against Baylor at their place. With Siaki Ika and Player, we will know what kind of line it will be.
Orangeheart72
rcfb said:

We will definitely know cause the fourth game is against Baylor at their place. With Siaki Ika and Player, we will know what kind of line it will be.

You are correct. Baylor looks loaded again on DL. Hope Spencer survives that game. I probably should have said 5th or 6th game!
CaliforniaCowboy
Orangeheart72 said:

You can laugh at me if it turns out I'm wrong, but even with Birmingham's injury, I think this will be the best O-line Dickey has had by third or fourth game forward. I think he's had some bad luck, but it is turning upwards and IF I'm correct, we'll be even better the next year as we're young on o-line (and absent injuries getting deeper). And Dickey will be fine again as he was at K-State.
I agree with you.... the whining Karen whoa is me fans, 's always seem to come out of the woodwork with lost-in-space stares and wild fictional stories about coaches and players.

We have practically the same OLine that we had last year, except Etienne has had some time to get in shape, and we're bringing in a few other transfers, like Webber.

Sills is the only guy we lost off the OLine, and maybe Birmingham, we'll see about him, but frankly, he wasn't even slated to start last year, but Dicky worked his magic and got a good line together eventually. The Covid lockdowns certainly affected our initial attempts at an OLine.

I have very high expectations for this OLine, and expected ZERO from this kid flipping to Tulane. I hate to see it, but it does not change our OLine in the least. Dickey is doing a freaking fantastic job, after taking over the mess that Henson and the other 2 guys had left him with.
Orangeheart72
Agree Cal. About the same line with considerably more experience and a couple/three decent additions compared to loss of Sills. Question- have you (or others reading this) ever tried to start new posts (stories) and been successful? I haven't had success doing so.
CaliforniaCowboy
I start new threads all the time.

Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.