Story Poster
Photo by South Bend Tribune-USA TODAY Sports
Oklahoma State Football

Editorial: College Athletics Future and If I Agree with Pete Thamel Check the Temp Below

May 17, 2022

STILLWATER – For me to write any kind of praise and infer any sort of agreement with ESPN college football writer and reporter Pete Thamel is almost unthinkable. This is a person that I spent an elevator ride up in The Omni Hotel at The Star in Frisco, Texas berating over his choice of friends and writer to mentor.

To continue reading, you must be a Pokes Report Premium subscriber.
Discussion from...

Editorial: College Athletics Future and If I Agree with Pete Thamel Check the Temp Below

2,945 Views | 11 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by CaliforniaCowboy
NJAggie
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Robert,

OSU has done everything they can, and maybe the SEC or B1G reaches out to them. But, the B1G & SEC really don't need any of the remaining schools outside of USC & ND. The good thing is that the Big XII contract ends in 2 years so it allows movement if its possible for Big XII schools. Same thing for PAC schools except next year.

The ACC schools made their own bed in their drive to lock all the schools into the league. In that they've succeeded.

I do think he's right that it's going to happen in this round of contracts. I see the PAC being raided by the B1G. But I'm not sure that either raids the Big XII. I could see the SE taking taking 2 or 4 teams to pace the B1G taking 4 from the PAC. If that's the case I'd say OSU, BU, TCU, TTU.

That would make the P2 total 38.

I think the B1G would then wait and add UNC & UVA in 2035.

With no need for divisions 20 and 18 both work.

But I could also see no moves beyond the PAC raid, and then a 20 and finally 24-26 team Big XII as the third wheel and lower register with 4 PAC and 4-6 ACC schools moving over.
CaliforniaCowboy
LOL

"Thamel suggests it will be a smaller group based on his sources. I thought it would be somewhere around the long speculated 64-80 schools. He wrote that it could be as simple as the programs with enough strength in the Big 12, Pac-12, and ACC joining in with the SEC and Big Ten. A possible total ranging from 32-48 schools."

Somebody needs to tell Thamel that the ACC is in an unbreakable contract.... OMG!!

LOL
gary121853
This has long been reality for last decade (and foreseeable future) ...the top 30 programs (measure by TV eyeballs) produces ALL the TV content necessary to feed the networks ...the networks are not interested in subsidizing the other 30(+) programs which translates to the networks paying more than what they ceel is necessary ...
OSUgary
Orangeheart72
I think it's a bit short sighted not to consider the local fan base effect on all of this. The reality is, New Mexico, Colorado, Arizona, South Dakota, Kansas.......are never going to care much about the SEC. Neither are 75%-85% of the folks in non-SEC states in general. The NFL fills the space of "the best athletes competing at the top level of football." College football is beloved because OSU Cowboys fans, Miami, Colorado State fans, BYU fans, Toledo, Memphis, and FSU fans get to see their schools or their grandkids schools compete. The SEC can draw their footprint and 20% of the rest of the country that have a past connection or cannot find anything else to watch on TV during a game, but that still leaves out a huge college football market if you don't connect more regional dots to the marketplace.
NJAggie
CaliforniaCowboy said:

LOL

"Thamel suggests it will be a smaller group based on his sources. I thought it would be somewhere around the long speculated 64-80 schools. He wrote that it could be as simple as the programs with enough strength in the Big 12, Pac-12, and ACC joining in with the SEC and Big Ten. A possible total ranging from 32-48 schools."

Somebody needs to tell Thamel that the ACC is in an unbreakable contract.... OMG!!

LOL

He's not talking about any conferences breaking up and reforming, just the conferences moving as a whole, and yes IF any move is made that is how it would happen. No new mega conference, no single TV contract, just a "new" governing body set up by the people that set up the previous one.

Just more of the sport writers dream, not reality.
GumbyFromPokeyLand
Students wanting to get paid is what will kill the sport. Like the NFL, students will become about money and not about team, school or community.
CaliforniaCowboy
NJAggie said:

CaliforniaCowboy said:

LOL

LOL

He's not talking about any conferences breaking up and reforming, just the conferences moving as a whole, and yes IF any move is made that is how it would happen. No new mega conference, no single TV contract, just a "new" governing body set up by the people that set up the previous one.

go back and read it again...... it clearly says PROGRAMS with enough strength joining the SEC and B1G. With a total of 32-48 teams (not 5 conferences). I highlighted it in BOLD just above, in this post.

I don't make stuff up.
Polston31
It seems pretty imperative for us to back up last year with super solid season leading up to whatever realignment is coming. With all the new facilities updates and all the things osus leadership is doing these days I think ok state will be in a great position for sure when that time comes. Especially if the next couple seasons are big in the results for our football team. Spencer sanders leading us for two more years is great. Being a top 20 tv team is strong hopefully we can improve on that even more
Joe Khatib
GumbyFromPokeyLand said:

Students wanting to get paid is what will kill the sport. Like the NFL, students will become about money and not about team, school or community.
If there was ever a Top 25 you wanted to be part of it is the one Robert listed because TV drives everything! Although I agree with you, they had better get this NIL situation under control or the system will blow up!!!
NJAggie
CaliforniaCowboy said:

NJAggie said:

CaliforniaCowboy said:

LOL

LOL

go back and read it again...... it clearly says PROGRAMS with enough strength joining the SEC and B1G. With a total of 32-48 teams (not 5 conferences). I highlighted it in BOLD just above, in this post.

I don't make stuff up.
Did I say you made stuff up? But Thamel as usual has nothing but baseless guesses. I'm telling you that no one is discussing a plan to wipe the slate clean and reform a single conference/division with one TV deal.

The only mention of leaving the NCAA out there are recent comments from the B1G commish and he wants to take all FBS schools into a new organization for football only. Which seems a bit silly since they already have control over FBS within the NCAA. But I guess it would let them streamline the process and not have to deal with the lower divisions at all.

And there are no programs with enough strength to move to the SEC, and few that could move to the B1G. The best bet is to ride it out in the Big XII, and in 2035 see if 8 or so top ACC schools want to go in with about 8 Big XII schools and form a conference that could get higher revenue than either the Big XII or ACC.

The PAC has new issues, as the CA legislature is about to devastate the AD budgets by requiring them to take half the revenue over expenses and pay football players. UCLA, Stanford, & Cal have already said if passed they'd have to drop football.
CaliforniaCowboy
NJAggie said:

Did I say you made stuff up? But Thamel as usual has nothing but baseless guesses. I'm telling you that no one is discussing a plan to wipe the slate clean and reform a single conference/division with one TV deal.

The only mention of leaving the NCAA out there are recent comments from the B1G commish and he wants to take all FBS schools into a new organization for football only. Which seems a bit silly since they already have control over FBS within the NCAA. But I guess it would let them streamline the process and not have to deal with the lower divisions at all.

And there are no programs with enough strength to move to the SEC, and few that could move to the B1G. The best bet is to ride it out in the Big XII, and in 2035 see if 8 or so top ACC schools want to go in with about 8 Big XII schools and form a conference that could get higher revenue than either the Big XII or ACC.

The PAC has new issues, as the CA legislature is about to devastate the AD budgets by requiring them to take half the revenue over expenses and pay football players. UCLA, Stanford, & Cal have already said if passed they'd have to drop football.
when the dam starts to leak nobody talks about the entire dam failing, until the leaks get worse (and the stories more frequent)...

just saying....
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.