Story Poster
Photo by Jasen Vinlove-USA TODAY Sports
Oklahoma State Football

You Can't Make This Stuff Up, But I'm for Nick Saban for NCAA President

May 19, 2022

STILLWATER – Every college football reporter and radio talk show host in America should be thanking Alabama head football coach Nick Saban and in the aftermath Texas A&M head football coach Jimbo Fisher. During a period in college sports where there is good stuff going on with NCAA Softball, the end of the baseball regular season, and NCAA Track and Field, but many of those don’t draw as much interest as football or basketball. Saban’s comment at an event in Birmingham on Wednesday night on NIL and the future of college sports in dealing with it and the misuse of it were epic. It became really epic when he singled out Texas A&M and their No. 1-ranked football recruiting class.

"We were second in recruiting last year, A&M was first," Saban started in on recruiting. "A&M bought every player on their team. Made a deal for name, image and likeness. We didn’t buy one player. But I don’t know if we’re going to be able to sustain that in the future because more and more people are doing it."

Then Saban went to his Progressive television commercial partner Deion Sanders and his recruitment at Jackson State of five-star football recruit Travis Hunt.

"If the NCAA doesn't get some protection from litigation, whether we gotta get an antitrust or whatever it is, from a federal government standpoint, this is not going to change because they cannot enforce their rules," Saban said. "Just like (Alabama basketball coach Nate Oats) said, we have a rule right now that says you cannot use name, image, likeness to entice a player to come to your school.

"Hell, read about it in the paper. I mean, Jackson State paid a guy $1 million last year that was a really good Division I player to come to the school. It was in the paper, and they bragged about it. Nobody did anything about it.”

Finally, Saban singled out the Miami, Fla. debacle this spring with the portal process of Miami, Fla. basketball landing former Kansas State guard Nijel Pack and current Hurricanes player Isaiah Wong wanting a renegotiation on his NIL deal as a result.

“I mean, these guys at Miami that are going to play basketball there for $400,000, it's in the newspaper,” added Saban. “The guy tells you how he's doing it."

This afternoon (May 19) Saban stayed with a scheduled appearance on ESPNU and their afternoon show on Sirius-XM. He fell on his sword in a hurry.

© Mickey Welsh | 2022 May 19
Fisher and Saban after the game last fall.

"I should have never really singled anybody out," Saban said. "That was a mistake and I really apologize for that part of it.

“I feel bad about it, but I'm not changing my philosophy," Saban continued. "I look at the betterment of college football. What is good for the game? Sometimes those things are not what's best for Alabama. I've been doing this for a long time. My whole focus has always been, how can we help players be successful." 

Saban made it clear that he was not saying anything that Texas A&M and Fisher, Deion Sanders and Jackson State, or Miami, Fla. were doing anything illegal. The NCAA has yet to punish anybody, although they should. I’ve said all along there are even better schools to start with like LSU. Check out their transfer portal haul. Those players didn’t show up to dance with Brian Kelly. I can guarantee that. Maybe USC too. The latest news on this amazing day was former Pitt wide receiver announcing he is heading to USC. Time to revisit Pitt head coach Pat Narduzzi and I still would like to see him in a steel cage match with Lincoln Riley.

Speaking of getting personal, I watched the Fisher press conference too. I’ve spoke to coaches that have been on the staffs for both Saban and Fisher. Both are very demanding, but the coaches I’ve spoke with and the opinions that I’ve gleaned have me leaning a lot closer to Saban than Fisher. In my recruiting coverage I’ve heard of multiple stories from third parties about Fisher in recruiting.

Saban was indicting the system, including the transfer portal tampering. Has Alabama done some of that? I bet they have, but I sincerely believe Saban doesn’t want it. In fact, listening to the entire near seven-minute video on YouTube I agree with everything Saban said. I love NIL. I think players deserve to make money on their name-image-and-likeness. A jersey sold with their name and number then they get a cut. The NCAA video game comes back then every player gets a few cents off each purchase. Autographs, personal appearances, commercials, camps, speaking engagements, etc. should all be rewarded. No problem with any of that. However, in the recruiting process, the transfer process, and to simply reward athletes with cash is not NIL, it is pay-for-play.

Bruce Waterfield/OSU Athletics
Gundy says he agrees with Saban.

Honestly, I’m for Nick Saban becoming President of the NCAA. I think Saban understands this. I think he understands what is best for college athletics. There is a lot of good in athletics, especially the non revenue sports, and young men and women receiving an education that helps set them up for a productive career and, as a result, a productive life.

I can’t help but remember Oklahoma State head coach Mike Gundy saying after he came back from speaking at Alabama’s coach’s clinic and spending time with Saban that he agreed with so much of what Saban said during their meeting. I agree with Saban too.

Discussion from...

You Can't Make This Stuff Up, But I'm for Nick Saban for NCAA President

3,495 Views | 20 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by NJAggie
TeaTownCowboy
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Saban is a hypocrite and a liar. As if Bama ha$ never bought recruit$, LOL!

CaliforniaCowboy
LOL - Hey everybody LOOK! We can't allow teams to cheat more than Bama!

Nick S.

rcfb
Now you only want Georgia to complain about paying players, we will have trifecta.

Three teams who pay the worst in last 10 years are fighting.
_888
Booooo
GumbyFromPokeyLand
Whether you think Alabama cheats or not, Saban is correct. Knowing aTm alums they way I do, plus the stories you hear about Fischer, I have zero doubt aTm did buy their entire recruiting class and transfers.

I have a simple solution. See next post.
GumbyFromPokeyLand
Steps the NCAA should take immediately:

- Codify NIL rules in line with guidance
- Publicly announce an expedited investigation into 2 or 3 programs that appear to violate NIL guidance
- Require schools provide all recruits at first contact an NCAA published document stating NIL dos and donts
- Require schools to provide all recruits at first contact an NCAA published questionnaire regarding their recruitment and NIL. Such questionnaire will be required to be completed, signed and presented to the school AND NCAA on the athletes signing date. Questionnaire will require disclosure about all NIL discussions, offers, payments, promises, etc.. with any school, booster or organization from the time of first contact up to and including signing date.
- Require schools to provide athletes who desire to enter the portal an NCAA published questionnaire regarding their portal recruitment and NIL. Such questionnaire will be required to be completed, signed and presented to the school AND NCAA on the athletes binding commitment to a school. Questionnaire will require disclosure about all NIL discussions, offers, payments, promises, etc.. with any school, booster or organization regarding an NIL opportunity with a school other than his/her current school at any time up to and including the date of a binding commitment to a new school.
- Schools will be required to report inaccurate NIL questionnaires to the NCAA. Failure to report will be a violation.
- Inaccurate NIL questionnaires, whether reported by the school or not, shall be a violation by the athlete and will result in suspension.
Joe Khatib
IGumbyFromPokeyLand said:

Whether you think Alabama cheats or not, Saban is correct. Knowing aTm alums they way I do, plus the stories you hear about Fischer, I have zero doubt aTm did buy their entire recruiting class and transfers.

I wonder if A&M, umm I am sorry, Eric Dickerson, ever paid off that gold Trans Am he got back in 1979 LOLOLOL!
CaliforniaCowboy
Joe Khatib said:

I wonder if A&M, umm I am sorry, Eric Dickerson, ever paid off that gold Trans Am he got back in 1979 LOLOLOL!
yeah.... and I'm still wondering how much Gundy got, not to mention the guy OSU guy RA mentioned with the new fancy car and the "car phone".
CaliforniaCowboy
didn't they just say that the NCAA could not really "codify" anything in this current legislative atmosphere? I think the members/players would need to sign some type of "I will not sue you" document before anything can ever be done by the NCAA again.
TeaTownCowboy
Joe Khatib said:

Wrong school. Dickerson went to SMU, the Pony Exce$$!

TeaTownCowboy
GumbyFromPokeyLand said:

Dude's a hypocrite. Bama pay$ player$ even before NIL deals. Remember when almost all their starters had very expensive rides? Gue$$ you mi$$ed it.

TeaTownCowboy
CaliforniaCowboy said:

LOL - Hey everybody LOOK! We can't allow teams to cheat more than Bama!

Nick S.

You hit the nail on the head....too bad some people on here don't get it! And this charade is going to hurt Saban in the end!

Joe Khatib
GTeaTownCowboy said:

Joe Khatib said:

Wrong school. Dickerson went to SMU, the Pony Exce$$!

Go watch the ESPN 30 for 30 called Pony Express and you will be educated on what went down straight from the Pony (Eric Dickerson) mouth about where the car came from initially!
GumbyFromPokeyLand
TeaTownCowboy said:

GumbyFromPokeyLand said:

Dude's a hypocrite. Bama pay$ player$ even before NIL deals. Remember when almost all their starters had very expensive rides? Gue$$ you mi$$ed it.

I guess you missed my point, and the point of the article.

" Saban was indicting the system, including the transfer portal tampering. Has Alabama done some of that? I bet they have, but I sincerely believe Saban doesn't want it. In fact, listening to the entire near seven-minute video on YouTube I agree with everything Saban said."
CaliforniaCowboy
I'm wondering if the 14 OSU boosters that were "disassociated" from the program, are allowed to "boost" again. (if they are still with us, so to speak)

When the rules change, like they just did, can the NCAA still enforce rules against individuals who previously did something that is not longer against the rules?

* The university will show cause why it should not be penalized further if it fails to disassociate 14 boosters from the athletic program.

https://www.latimes.com/archives/la-xpm-1989-01-07-sp-210-story.html
CaliforniaCowboy
Joe Khatib said:

before we go too far down that path, we should probably revisit our own history...

15 Most Unethical Programs in College Football History

https://athlonsports.com/college-football/15-unethical-college-football-programs
Roughrider
There should be no rules. Any school and any athlete should be able to make any deal they want. Let the market decide the fate of the teams.
CaliforniaCowboy
Roughrider said:

There should be no rules. Any school and any athlete should be able to make any deal they want. Let the market decide the fate of the teams.
Nck?

Nick Saben, is that you?
GumbyFromPokeyLand
Roughrider said:

So, the richest school(s) do all the winning. Great plan.
NJAggie
Well I can't say Alabama did or didn't buy any players, but aTm was bragging about it. That's why UT got those collectives together because they're going to cheat if aTm is.

NIL is going to be a huge issue IF the NCAA can't keep it from being a direct part of recruiting. And the schools for the most part are for that being the case. We've had coaches complain about alumnus cutting NIL deals with players they didn't want. This last year was a mess, but they should be able to enforce recruiting rules as that has never been challenged in court and I can't see how that would be challenged as it would have to be the donors challenging the schools, and that would not ed well whatever the outcome.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.