Story Poster
Oklahoma State Football Recruiting

Cowboys Down & Dirty Linemen Camp Sees Two Young Standouts, Kysar Offered

June 7, 2022

STILLWATER – The camp season for Oklahoma State football continued on Tuesday (June 7) with the annual Down & Dirty Lineman Camp and while there seemed to be more Division I prospects on the defensive side of the ball the different levels of college coaches participating were all finding players they liked. Overall, the camp had a record attendance of close to 200 linemen in the classes of 2023 to 2026.

Oklahoma State offensive line coach Charlie Dickey was anxious to see Jenks offensive tackle Landon Zaldivar. The big tackle has improved his footwork and he looked good during his reps at the camp. However, it was some younger defensive end prospects that kind of stole the show.

Two of the juniors (class of 2024) defensive ends were moved over to face competition from the senior offensive linemen and that duo kept winning one-on-one competition there like they did with the players in their own class.

Robert Allen - Pokes Report
Bergin Kysar celebrated his birthday at Lineman Camp. OSU offers.

Pokes Report first told you about Edmond Santa Fe defensive end and tight end Bergin Kysar last week. We called him our top Oklahoma recruit for 2024. We found another on Tuesday, but Kysar was one of the juniors that was moved up and the 6-4, 230-pounder was celebrating his 17th birthday at the camp. His mom Kim Kysar told us he said there was no place he’d rather be on his birthday than football camp. He had been invited by the Oklahoma State staff after they saw him Sunday at the mini camp.

“I loved the camp and I learned a lot,” Kysar said. “I thought I displayed my skills very well today, especially on the senior side.”

He did and this was the message on Twitter shortly after the camp ended.

Another junior that moved up was Tulsa NOAH (home schooled) defensive end Daniel Okoye.

Robert Allen - Pokes Report
Okoye looks intimidating.

He was tremendously athletic and played very physical. He appears to be about 6-5 and 220-pounds. Okoye told us that he was at Jenks, took a year off from football and came back with NOAH. He is actually schooled online and not home schooled, but NOAH gives him a chance to show his football skills, which are immense.

Following the camp, Okoye was offered by the Pokes’ coaching staff.

The Cowboys also offered 2023 linebacker Poasa Utu out of Kennedale (TX) High School, marking Utu’s first Power 5 offer.

Utu is of Polynesian decent and is being recruiting by Beni Tonga and Joe Bob Clements. This past season as a junior, Utu recorded 97 total tackles, 41 tackles for loss, including 19 sacks, 37 quarterback hurries, two fumble recoveries and one interception.

Finally, a good friend and former Oklahoma State All-Big Eight defensive tackle Stacey Satterwhite was there with his sophomore to be son, Reece. Reece was a standout as a freshman at this camp last summer and this past season he was a starter both ways for Miami and was also a state champ in powerlifting. Oklahoma State coaches moved him up from the sophomores to work with the juniors and he was winning the battles. Look for Satterwhite to keep progressing and he is a strong Oklahoma State legacy.

Pokes Report will have stories on all three players, Kysar, Okoye, and Satterwhite as we spoke to all three after the camp. We also have a story coming up on Landon Zaldivar.

Discussion from...

Cowboys Down & Dirty Linemen Camp Sees Two Young Standouts, Kysar Offered

5,335 Views | 21 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by Joe Khatib
rcfb
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Couldn't we find any diamond in the rough OL in the camp? Sounds like it's all defensive guys who showed out today.
Polston31
I wonder if any of these kids have any d 1 offers. I looked up a few and most don't even have fcs offers yet. I understand finding gems but feels like we are focusing on that maybe a little to much with trench guys. I honestly think I have lost the direction the future of our o line coaching and recruiting is going. I can imagine these d ends looked great going against the competition that was out there. Just seems so odd a school of our stature is so fixed on this method of recruiting especially lineman
CaliforniaCowboy
how would your propose that we recruit and observe some talent first hand?

We're no longer allowed to do our camps in Texas, like we use to.

Aren't camps like these designed mostly to provide a little extra income for our assistant coaches, and at the same time get some face time with kids trying to get noticed by D1 schools?

Isn't' that what camps are for?

actual recruiting happens in the form of visits to the HS, and official visits.
Polston31
It's not something you would understand
CaliforniaCowboy
Polston31 said:

It's not something you would understand
why do you always have to make your posts personal attacks on others?

if you can't answer my questions, then just say so.

I am highly capable of understanding everything, and likely much more knowledgeable than you on most subjects.... but I don't try to shove crap in your face every single thread.

my opinion is that you totally missed the point of what the camps are even about, based on your overly negative post... but I was not going to go there, I simply asked a series of questions to try and gage why you were making the negative comments that you made about our program.

if you can't answer the questions, then just say so, it's okay, really.
Polston31
See your reaction there? Long and dramatic. We don't talk logic together so it's best to just move on.
CaliforniaCowboy
Polston31 said:

See your reaction there? Long and dramatic. We don't talk logic together so it's best to just move on.
and what reaction exactly should I have when you try and tell me what I do and don't understand, and turn threads about recruiting into threads about what I understand and what I allegedly don't understand?

please, I'd sincerely like to know what reaction you expected from me when you started making personal hurtful allegations about me. and Now I'm long and dramatic too. Don't you ever have nice things to say about anybody or anything?

the message boards do not have to be like this... please improve your posting behaviour.

CaliforniaCowboy
is there anybody else out there that has some insights on the down and dirty lineman camp?

Zach Lancaster
Staff
CaliforniaCowboy said:

how would your propose that we recruit and observe some talent first hand?

We're no longer allowed to do our camps in Texas, like we use to.

Aren't camps like these designed mostly to provide a little extra income for our assistant coaches, and at the same time get some face time with kids trying to get noticed by D1 schools?

Isn't' that what camps are for?

actual recruiting happens in the form of visits to the HS, and official visits.
You're exactly right. Sure, offers definitely come out of these camps, like the three that went out yesterday to defensive players. It's not Oklahoma State and Charlie Dickey's fault there weren't any great offensive line prospects. Most of the actual recruiting comes from watching kids perform during team camps in the spring, like the ones Pokes Report covered last month, kids showing out during the recruiting camp seasons and watching game film from throughout the fall.
Zach Lancaster
Staff
rcfb said:

Couldn't we find any diamond in the rough OL in the camp? Sounds like it's all defensive guys who showed out today.
Definitely a few really talented defensive players that Oklahoma State would love to have. It's unfortunate there weren't any P5-caliber linemen at the camp, at least none that are currently P5-caliber as of yet, but that's not Oklahoma State's fault. These camps are open to anyone who wants to pay money to show up and no guys Oklahoma State will recruit showed up.
thetruth
Therein lies some of the problem for OSU. Coaches can invite kids from Tx and other states to come to camp. They would love to have those guys they want to recruit show up. But its a long way to drive to a camp you have to pay for. Most of those kids are going to get recruited anyway. The kids that do show up, and pay their own way to come are "hoping" to gain more interest from the staff. But reality is very different.
Polston31
We can all spit ball but the facts are we have little talent at our camp. I'm not taking shots at kids now either. They came and competed. Osu not being able to attract div 1 talent to our camps is a problem. We invited them and they didn't show. That's a problem. The camps provide a lot of good things but as far as evaluating and then offering and recruiting kids we seem pretty bad off in the trench department in these camps. It's basically clear good o lineman don't have a major interest in playing for us. I just don't want to make excuses. Being realistic osu is fairly weak overall in the o line department which is mostly what I'm talking about. We are stringing together years of lackluster performances and recruiting. It's not a new problem and it hasn't seemed to improved noticeably
CaliforniaCowboy
I don't think that many agree with your assessments, like the one of "being weak in the OLine"... considering that we just came off of a season of multiple OLine injuries, and STILL ended up the #1 team in the league, and competing in the Conference Championship game.

I can't think of any scenario where a team with a "weak OLine" competes for the conference title.

Our "weak OLine" also handled ND's touted defense in a major bowl game.

so-called fans love to bash our team and our OLine, but I do not believe that those people are speaking from a position of fact.

Polston31
We had to run tempo all game to beat notre dame and wear them out because their d line was destroying us. Sanders also is a great runner so if he didn't escape so well numbers but not favor our o line. This is what I mean cali you are more concerned about going against what I'm saying than actually thinking and replying logically. I don't come from some bad angle and I'm not trying to place fault. We are looking through orange lenses if we don't see the problems our o line has had for many years now. It's not a strength of our team in fact in much closer to a weakness than it has been a strength
Polston31
Also we had an historic defense. That propelled us a lot last year. Our o line cost us the big 12 title.
Polston31
And lastly I am speaking about a multiple year issue not just last season. So remember to read it all and not just argue some points
Polston31
It's like no one remembers when wickline was here and our o lines in the early Gundy days were highly respected and we were always up high when our lines were talked about. I remember being talked about in the same air as Bama. People operate under the assumption that if a guy is not satisfied with a position group or area of a team he is bashing the team or is a so called fan. I'm just not living in a fantasy world where I think we are an elite bunch up front and recruiting fcs kids is what got us there. We need to be better especially since we have no reason not to be. Osu is a top program in division 1 football. We should be able to operate that way
CaliforniaCowboy
I 100% disagree with all 4 of your last posts... so we'll just leave it at that.

IMO, all 4 of your posts are 100% misrepresented, and the points are cherry picked to depict a narrative that you support.

for instances, if we ran tempo the whole game then our OLine was damn good and in damn good shape. How can you omit such obvious facts.

Wicklines last few Olines at OSU were not very good, IMO. OSU sued him and won. Texas did not renew his contract after 2 years. WVU didn't keep him long, Baylor let him go after 2020 and a very dismal performance.

I think you're simply regurgitating old wives tales and pretending that they have relevance on the present.
Polston31
Cali I just don't care what you think. It doesn't matter again you will just contradict so it's pointless lol we don't have conversations we argue. I'm not anymore tho so again best to just move on
CaliforniaCowboy
Polston31 said:

Cali I just don't care what you think. It doesn't matter again you will just contradict so it's pointless lol we don't have conversations we argue. I'm not anymore tho so again best to just move on
you don't seem to understand how this forum stuff works. I believe you do care what I think, and what others think, which is why we post and read the forum. "WE" do not argue, I simply asked you to defend your position of bashing our coach and position group, and you did not successfully do so, and then got mad about it.

We're apparently supposed to care what you think, but that only goes one way I see.

I was talking about what you wrote, and you once again turn it into you and me. It's not about me, it's about Coach Dickey the OLine and your attack on them.

damn right I'm going to ask you to defend your position. You make it sound like contradiction is a bad thing, but it is not. Contradiction is part of discussion.

Joe Khatib
I find some of these discussions pretty funny especially in this new era of NIL $$$$$$$$$$$$$ I talked to one of the guys that runs a collective for NIL at OSU and we talked about where this is headed and he said that the NCAA or whoever has to get this situation straight because ithis is now being used as pay for play! I was able to contribute to this collective because I have the means just like my family did with a large donation to the funding of O Brate and others may not be in a position to do this especially with the current economy and I fully understand! It seems like if we even want to keep our heads above water that these types of Collectives are the futire just to recruit good players not to mention trying to get the so called great players
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.