Story Poster
Oklahoma State Football Recruiting

Top 2024 Oklahoma Prospect Bergin Kysar Wraps Up Summer, Sets Tone for Season

August 12, 2022

EDMOND – High school football is back in practice this week and it was easy to swing by and see Oklahoma State’s top in-state target so far in-state as Edmond Santa Fe is really just a punt, pass, and a kick from my front doorstep and it was a meteoric summer from the Wolves junior defensive end and tight end Bergin Kysar. You can hear Kysar’s voice as the Santa Fe team broke into drills at the start of the Friday afternoon practice.

To watch this video, you must be a Pokes Report Premium subscriber.
Discussion from...

Top 2024 Oklahoma Prospect Bergin Kysar Wraps Up Summer, Sets Tone for Season

3,521 Views | 18 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by CaliforniaCowboy
Orangeheart72
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Hope Iowa State doesn't steal another tight end wonder from the State of Oklahoma. Hopefully, if he loves TE we'll tell him he can try DE and CW/TE.
thetruth
Doesn't sound like he has an offer from ISU??? But regardless, he has an offer from OSU, Tulsa, and he's been contacted by ou. They haven't offered and he still has yet to commit to anyone. Sounds like he's doing the slow play thing waiting for an ou offer.
Crazed_Stallion
Once OU pulls the trigger it's over. His family is giant OU fans and donors.
thetruth
Crazed_Stallion said:

Once OU pulls the trigger it's over. His family is giant OU fans and donors.
Kinda the impression I got.
Robert Allen
Staff
His dad went to Northwestern Oklahoma State and was a really talented player there and then coached for years before becoming a principal. His mom also works in the school district. I don't think they are OU donors.

He is a 2024, so just a junior this season. I wouldn't commit if I were him until next spring. I think OSU has a really good shot. They offered first and he has been on campus there three times this summer and plans on going back for games.

No gurantees. He could end up being a national recruit. He has that kind of ability.
thetruth
Robert Allen said:

His dad went to Northwestern Oklahoma State and was a really talented player there and then coached for years before becoming a principal. His mom also works in the school district. I don't think they are OU donors.

He is a 2024, so just a junior this season. I wouldn't commit if I were him until next spring. I think OSU has a really good shot. They offered first and he has been on campus there three times this summer and plans on going back for games.

No gurantees. He could end up being a national recruit. He has that kind of ability.
RA, i know that OSU has done remarkably well with the recruits they have been getting. But can we agree that to take another step in a positive direction OSU needs to be able to land the kids that are "national" recruits that we have a real shot or "in" with? This kid (if he becomes the kind of kid you think he might become) has been on campus several times, is 45 miles from Stillwater, has been recruited by OSU for a minute.
There were about 3-5 kids in OK this recruiting cycle that were either national recruits, or were 4 star kids that can help us or be real players. They went to Arkansas, Alabama, etc.
Robert Allen
Staff
Yes, Cole Adams of Owasso. They liked him a lot, but you have Brennan and Braylin Presley and John Paul Richardson, all with two years or more of eligiblilty. You are full up and also very young at wide receiver too.

Jacobe Johnson they recruited hard and OU won.

Luke Hasz they recruited hard and Arkansas won.

Bai Jobe they recruited hard, he nearly committed and then he exploded and ends up at Michigan State.

They got the defensive lineman Jaedon Foreman from Del City.

It wasn't lack of trying except with Adams where they couldn't justify based on who they had. They do try to recruit the national recruits but you can't kidnap them. They pass on some kids because they don't think they will be a fit. To come and thrive in this program, you have to really love football and you have to be willing to work very hard. What Rob Glass does is not easy but for those that work hard the results are amazing. I know that. I agree it would be great to get the right guys off the ESPN Top 300 list and all four and five stars. OSU has had their share of those and some have worked out. Some have flamed out big. You have to trust the people doing this as mist of their decisions, in recruiting and in the portal, have paid off. They too want the best players out there but you have to settled for the best players that you can get that are seemingly (not always) the right fit.
thetruth
Robert Allen said:

Yes, Cole Adams of Owasso. They liked him a lot, but you have Brennan and Braylin Presley and John Paul Richardson, all with two years or more of eligiblilty. You are full up and also very young at wide receiver too.

Jacobe Johnson they recruited hard and OU won.

Luke Hasz they recruited hard and Arkansas won.

Bai Jobe they recruited hard, he nearly committed and then he exploded and ends up at Michigan State.

They got the defensive lineman Jaedon Foreman from Del City.

It wasn't lack of trying except with Adams where they couldn't justify based on who they had. They do try to recruit the national recruits but you can't kidnap them. They pass on some kids because they don't think they will be a fit. To come and thrive in this program, you have to really love football and you have to be willing to work very hard. What Rob Glass does is not easy but for those that work hard the results are amazing. I know that. I agree it would be great to get the right guys off the ESPN Top 300 list and all four and five stars. OSU has had their share of those and some have worked out. Some have flamed out big. You have to trust the people doing this as mist of their decisions, in recruiting and in the portal, have paid off. They too want the best players out there but you have to settled for the best players that you can get that are seemingly (not always) the right fit.
I hear what you're saying. My point is that while we get some (very few, and not nearly enough, imo) we need to start making some inroads to improving by about 3-6 recruits each year. I certainly don't have the answer. But just see a really critical need to improve in that area if we want to improve our chances of consistant success.
Robert Allen
Staff
You don't call what this program has achieved consistent success? I do. Now, if you want to have a better shot at a CFP playoff berth they I would agree.
CaliforniaCowboy
thetruth said:

I hear what you're saying. My point is that while we get some (very few, and not nearly enough, imo) we need to start making some inroads to improving by about 3-6 recruits each year. I certainly don't have the answer. But just see a really critical need to improve in that area if we want to improve our chances of consistant success.
I probably agree with you, I just do not understand how you calculate whether we're getting "good recruits".

I likely think that you have no evidence of what you're classifying as a "good recruit". We just finished playing for the Big12 championship, AND won the regular season title, over OU and UT, so I'm seriously at a loss for what it is that you expect from our coaches.

Seriously. Honestly.

The rating services SUCK..... Suck big time. they are biased and not accurate, that has been demonstrated time and time again, and over and over.

WE WON THE REGULAR SEASON, and were one inch short of the B12 title that DID NOT include OU or UT.

What in the heck are you using for "evidence"?

We are fine.
Robert Allen
Staff
The evidence is what happens on Saturdays. Jaylen Warrens, Malcolm Rodriguez, Brock Martins make up for not getting stars. Soemtimes they add up to more than stars. You recruit, you develop, and you play the way you have to and work very hard to make it add up to success.
Crazed_Stallion

By all accounts Luke Hasz never even really considered OSU. Went with OU then everything happened so went to Arkansas.

Johnson was going to OU or another blue blood. The OSU top 5 was just a fill in. Unfortunately OSU never had a chance.

Bai Jobe should have never had a chance to leave the state. They cooled on him and didn't check on him ever day like MSU. His family said MSU made him feel wanted.

We need to call it like it is. OSU doesn't have the glitz and glam that the other programs do. We also don't spend near the resources in recruiting that other do. They do a good job making up for those flaws. We all just imagine what if, if they could land some big time DUDES though.
thetruth
CaliforniaCowboy said:

thetruth said:

I probably agree with you, I just do not understand how you calculate whether we're getting "good recruits".

I likely think that you have no evidence of what you're classifying as a "good recruit". We just finished playing for the Big12 championship, AND won the regular season title, over OU and UT, so I'm seriously at a loss for what it is that you expect from our coaches.

Seriously. Honestly.

The rating services SUCK..... Suck big time. they are biased and not accurate, that has been demonstrated time and time again, and over and over.

WE WON THE REGULAR SEASON, and were one inch short of the B12 title that DID NOT include OU or UT.

We are fine.
I pay very little attention to recruiting services. I can't tell you the last time I looked for that kind of acknowledgement. I mostly look at who recruits them and where they go.

But to specifically speak to your misguided opinion, if you go back and trace the success that 4 and 5 star kids have getting to the NFL you'll see that it's a very high percentage. So, while they are far, far from perfect they do have a pretty good success rate as it relates to making it professionally.

You cherry picked last year. We had a great year, spearheaded by a one off defense. The last five years our records have been 12-2 and played in the B12 championship game. 8-3, 8-5, 7-6 and 10-3. Not hint of playing in the B12 championship game. I don't expect us to play every year in the championship game. And we won't unless we start making a little bit of improvement in recruiting and landing more of the same kids that other programs are getting that take them to championship games and competing for them.
Crazed_Stallion
Also, if they want to shout "We have a logo too." At minimum they have to reach Arlington, or win the thing. If Baylor wins it again this year or comes close, we might as well pack up and go home after OU and Texas leave.
NJAggie
thetruth said:

CaliforniaCowboy said:

thetruth said:

Seriously. Honestly.

We are fine.
I pay very little attention to recruiting services. I can't tell you the last time I looked for that kind of acknowledgement. I mostly look at who recruits them and where they go.

But to specifically speak to your misguided opinion, if you go back and trace the success that 4 and 5 star kids have getting to the NFL you'll see that it's a very high percentage. So, while they are far, far from perfect they do have a pretty good success rate as it relates to making it professionally.

You cherry picked last year. We had a great year, spearheaded by a one off defense. The last five years our records have been 12-2 and played in the B12 championship game. 8-3, 8-5, 7-6 and 10-3. Not hint of playing in the B12 championship game. I don't expect us to play every year in the championship game. And we won't unless we start making a little bit of improvement in recruiting and landing more of the same kids that other programs are getting that take them to championship games and competing for them.
Well if you want to look at Cherry Picking look at the stars system. You take the full range of players. Then you pick out the best 100-150, and call them 5*, then you pick out the next 300 and call them 4*, then you take then next 3,000 and call them 3*. So yeah the 5* & 4* have a better percentage by far. I think you'd find the numbers quite different if you took 3 groups of 1,100 each and gave them the same titles. You'd find that almost no one out of the top group made it to the NFL. But go ahead and scoff at the 3* based on a very flawed method of comparison. If they wanted a fair look then you'd have a star for every group of 100 or 300, or whatever number you wanted to choose and you'd see where the decline started. I'd say if you broke it down to say the top 300 3*'s you'd find their NFL ratio was not much off from the 4*'s number.
CaliforniaCowboy
thetruth said:

actually, the rating services have a VERY LOW percentage of 4-5 star kids that get in.

If they are really 5-star, I mean really five star, then 100% should make the NFL, but they do not, it's not even close to that. Same analysis with the 4-star, almost all of them should make the NFL, but the actual percentage is much lower. "Can't miss" kids, should not miss with such frequency.

By they same token, no-star and 1-star kids (or even 2-star) should never ever make the NFL (if the services are accurate), but the NFL has a plethora of kids that were ranked lower than 3-star.

If you get a 4 or 5 star rated kid, then you're likely getting a kid that has matured physically earlier than other athletes in the age group, and they look like men among boys, because they essentially are. These kids that are more mature (bigger) can likely contribute earlier than those that need longer to develop.

There are some with exceptions with outstanding speed, or exceptional size, but there are a long list of schools after those kids, and we don't need a rating service to tell us that.

The team rankings are especially bad, because they are not reflective of the player rankings. It's all a scam to get subscriptions.

thetruth
CaliforniaCowboy said:

thetruth said:

actually, the rating services have a VERY LOW percentage of 4-5 star kids that get in.

If they are really 5-star, I mean really five star, then 100% should make the NFL, but they do not, it's not even close to that. Same analysis with the 4-star, almost all of them should make the NFL, but the actual percentage is much lower. "Can't miss" kids, should not miss with such frequency.

By they same token, no-star and 1-star kids (or even 2-star) should never ever make the NFL (if the services are accurate), but the NFL has a plethora of kids that were ranked lower than 3-star.

If you get a 4 or 5 star rated kid, then you're likely getting a kid that has matured physically earlier than other athletes in the age group, and they look like men among boys, because they essentially are. These kids that are more mature (bigger) can likely contribute earlier than those that need longer to develop.

There are some with exceptions with outstanding speed, or exceptional size, but there are a long list of schools after those kids, and we don't need a rating service to tell us that.

The team rankings are especially bad, because they are not reflective of the player rankings. It's all a scam to get subscriptions.

Yep, thats why Ala and Georgia and tOSU sign all those 4 and 5 star guys, because they're overrated, wash out, etc. Where do come up with this stuff? Why should each and every 4 and 5 star player make the NFL?
That's just crap. I don't expect us to sign a class full of 4-5 star guys. But the facts are that if you sign more of them (see Ohio St, Georgia, Ala.) you win even more games.
CaliforniaCowboy
thetruth said:

Yep, thats why Ala and Georgia and tOSU sign all those 4 and 5 star guys, because they're overrated, wash out, etc. Where do come up with this stuff? Why should each and every 4 and 5 star player make the NFL?
That's just crap. I don't expect us to sign a class full of 4-5 star guys. But the facts are that if you sign more of them (see Ohio St, Georgia, Ala.) you win even more games.
bleh... don't put words in my mouth.... why do 5 star kids transfer from Bama, UGA and tOSU? (because they should not have been ranked that high?)

Why shouldn't all 5-star kids make the NFL... after all, that's why they're ranked 5-star, right? Can't miss. The best of the best. Right? What the hell else is it supposed to mean?

I did not say do not take 4-5 star kids, I did say they are more mature (physically) and more prepared to play early (a very, very big difference from what you changed my comment into)

How many of those kids did Cincy have? OSU and BU played for the B12 title, how many did they have? See how that works.

It's a dang good thing for OSU that Texas does not get a lot of 4 and 5 star players.... SMH
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.