Story Poster
Photo by Pat Kinnison - Chief Photographer
Oklahoma State Football Recruiting

Recruiting Reset: Cowboys Have Work to Do, but Not as Much as You Think

August 14, 2022

STILLWATER – Pokes Report was not in Mustang, Okla. on Saturday night. We had received the heads up that cornerback and athlete Jacobe Johnson was going to pledge to Oklahoma. Johnson said all the things that are normally said when an in-state recruit commits to the University of Oklahoma. He was always a fan. It was his dream school. He went through the recruiting process to make sure, but he always felt he was going to commit to Oklahoma.

To continue reading, you must be a Pokes Report Premium subscriber.
Discussion from...

Recruiting Reset: Cowboys Have Work to Do, but Not as Much as You Think

4,064 Views | 12 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by CaliforniaCowboy
PokeRob
How long do you want to ignore this user?
I understand this will be a small class but we are losing to many recruits to TTU and TCU for example. We better get busy and get some quality recruits with out last 6 to 8 remaining recruits. This has officially become a potential problem.
Crazed_Stallion
Micah Tease is also a lock for OU.
principalg
Tease is committed to Arkansas.
gary121853
Robert, this really reads like an effort to put a positive spin on an otherwise mediocre '23 class .... i hope im wrong
OSUgary
rcfb
"looking for late bloomers" translation- we won't be getting any 4 stars or blue chip recruits. Even though we have 6-8 positions open, it will be a miracle if we land more than 1 4* recruit from now. Sucks that TTU, TCU and Baylor all recruit better than us in terms of quality players.
Crazed_Stallion
I bet he ends up where his brother went.
Ok_state_fan78
His brother did not do much at uo. HIs best year was 10 catches so maybe they don't have as good of feelings about them as one would think.
Crazed_Stallion
He is on staff though.
Pokes4158
We went from not getting commitments because we didn't have room and only taking 13-15 recruits to now 18-20 recruits and room for multiple players we didn't previously have room for? So either Robert Allen has been lying all along or we got a rash of players that said they aren't coming back. I do honestly wonder when people will admit we struggle to recruit. We develop we all know. We don't recruit great tho multiple teams come in with new staffs and manufacture momentum and land kids. We come off one of our best seasons to what might be our worst class in who even knows. How is this not more glaring?
CaliforniaCowboy
CowboyRed said:

We went from not getting commitments because we didn't have room and only taking 13-15 recruits to now 18-20 recruits and room for multiple players we didn't previously have room for? So either Robert Allen has been lying all along or we got a rash of players that said they aren't coming back. I do honestly wonder when people will admit we struggle to recruit. We develop we all know. We don't recruit great tho multiple teams come in with new staffs and manufacture momentum and land kids. We come off one of our best seasons to what might be our worst class in who even knows. How is this not more glaring?
It is almost all totally perception. You're perception would likely not be so negative is you would not place emphasis on the rating services. They are not accurate, and they are not reliable, which has been demonstrated over and over and over.

Using your analysis, our classes are always bad and we will never have 10 win seasons or play for the conference championship.

We know that Robert is not a liar, so I would look elsewhere for further excuses to support your attack on our recruiting.
gary121853
CaliforniaCowboy said:

CowboyRed said:

It is almost all totally perception. You're perception would likely not be so negative is you would not place emphasis on the rating services. They are not accurate, and they are not reliable, which has been demonstrated over and over and over.

Using your analysis, our classes are always bad and we will never have 10 win seasons or play for the conference championship.

We know that Robert is not a liar, so I would look elsewhere for further excuses to support your attack on our recruiting.

Robert is not a liar ...Robert is a motherhood/apple pie Poke thru and thru...no one could argue with Gundy's on field results compared to recruiting results etc ...alternatively, no one can argue that the programs winning championships are recruiting (transfer or HS) at higher level than OSU ... you said yourself you are a 'results' driven guy ...just sayin'
OSUgary
CaliforniaCowboy
gary121853 said:

Robert is not a liar ...Robert is a motherhood/apple pie Poke thru and thru...no one could argue with Gundy's on field results compared to recruiting results etc ...alternatively, no one can argue that the programs winning championships are recruiting (transfer or HS) at higher level than OSU ... you said yourself you are a 'results' driven guy ...just sayin'
presumably your reply was not intended for me, and you quoted the wrong thread.... I already said Robert is not a liar (so not directed at me), and I have no idea what the rest of that statement is even supposed to mean.

OSU has depth issues most years, and when you have kids on the roster that need to be developed, then they are not ready for prime-time if a mature player goes down with injury. I thought I was pretty clear .... some of the high-rated kids can add depth earlier in their careers.

You saw our team last year, we had to put in a walk-on WR at one point.

honestly, I have no clear idea of the point you were trying to make.... just sayin
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.