Story Poster
Photo by Gregory Fisher-USA TODAY Sports
Oklahoma State Basketball

Postgame Notes: Oklahoma State 64 - UConn 74

December 1, 2022

Oklahoma State Postgame Notes vs. UConn

Oklahoma State - 64, UConn - 74

Dec. 1, 2022 | Storrs, Connecticut (Harry A. Gampel Pavilion)

• Updated Records: Oklahoma State 6-2 overall, 0-0 Big 12 I UConn 9-0 overall, 0-0 Big East
  • Oklahoma State Leaders: Points - Kalib Boone - 15, Assists - Caleb Asberry - 3, Rebounds - Moussa Cisse - 10
  • UConn Leaders: Points - Jordan Hawkins - 26, Assists - Andre Jackson Jr. - 6, 
  • Rebounds - Andre Jackson Jr. 7

Game Flow

• Kalib Boone scored the first basket of the game on the Cowboys’ first possession, the fourth time this season Boone has opened the scoring for the Pokes, to give OSU a 2-0 lead.
  • Despite UConn making five of its first seven field goals, the Cowboys went into the first media timeout down just three, 11-8. Boone and Bryce Thompson each scored four points in the first five minutes of the contest for all eight Cowboy points.
  • The Cowboys tied the game at 18 with 11:12 left in the first half behind an 8-0 run, powered by a Boone and-1 and a Caleb Asberry three-pointer.
  • Six-straight makes from the field fueled the Cowboys to a 25-23 lead with 7:43 remaining in the half. OSU went perfect from the three-point and free-throw line and shot 63 percent from the field in the first 12 minutes.
  • The Huskies ended the first half on a 23-3 run to take a 48-31 halftime lead over the Cowboys.
  • A 6-0 spurt brought the Cowboys to within 13 with 13:36 left. Avery Anderson III scored six early second-half points to lead the charge.
  • The Cowboys continued to show fight against the No. 8 Huskies, but trailed 64-50 with 7:26 remaining.
  • OSU cut the lead to nine with :43 seconds remaining after a Caleb Asberry three-pointer, but ran out of time in its comeback effort, falling 74-64.

Game Notes 

• Head coach Mike Boynton has stayed with the same starting-five in all eight games this season, going with Avery Anderson III, Bryce Thompson, John-Michael Wright, Kalib Boone and Moussa Cisse.
  • The Cowboys defense held UConn to just 26 second-half points, the fewest points the Huskies have scored in a half this season, seven fewer than the 33 in the second half against Iowa State on Nov. 27.
  • OSU’s defense also held UConn to its lowest field-goal percentage in a game this season at 38 percent, topping the previous low of 41 percent against Iowa State.
  • Kalib Boone recorded his 111th career block against UConn, moving the big-man up to tenth place in Cowboy history, tying Mitchell Solomon.
  • With two steals on Thursday, Avery Anderson III jumped into 17th place on Oklahoma State’s all-time steals leaders list, passing Marcus Dove.
  • Anderson has recorded two or more steals in six of eight games to start the season, and eight of ten games dating back to last season.
  • In OSU’s last four games, Tyreek Smith is a combined 16-of-18 from the field for 36 points and 21 rebounds.
  • Caleb Asberry and John-Michael Wright remained perfect on the season from the free-throw line with both making 2-of-2 attempts on Thursday. Asberry is 12-for-12 and Wright is 15-for-15.
  • Moussa Cisse recorded ten rebounds in the contest and has reached double-figures in six of the Cowboys first eight games.

Team Streaks

• OSU has made at least one three-pointer in 735 consecutive games dating back to Jan. 13, 2001.
  • The Cowboys have posted ten or more assists in 17 of their past 20 games dating back to last season. 
  • Has held teams to less than 40 percent shooting from the field in ten-straight games dating back to last year and has done so in 15 of their past 17 games. 
  • The Cowboys have taken advantage of their size in the frontcourt, reaching at least ten offensive rebounds in seven of eight games this season.
  • That size has also given the Cowboys an edge in the paint offensively, outsourcing seven of eight opponents in the paint.
  • Moussa Cisse has now recorded at least one block in each of his past 18 games. There have been just three games in his Oklahoma State career in which he did not record at least one block.
  • The Cowboys have made 10 or more free throws in five of the first eight games this season after doing so in 18 of their 30 games last season.
Discussion from...

Postgame Notes: Oklahoma State 64 - UConn 74

1,203 Views | 4 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by CaliforniaCowboy
CaliforniaCowboy
How long do you want to ignore this user?
  • Updated Records: Oklahoma State 6-2 overall, 0-0 Big 12 I UConn 9-0 overall, 0-0 Big East

hmmm... I'm pretty sure that our updated record is 5-3.... a bit of wishful thinking perhaps?
Joe Khatib
CaliforniaCowboy said:

hmmm... I'm pretty sure that our updated record is 5-3.... a bit of wishful thinking perhaps?

Yes, unfortunately two of those losses were very winnable games!
CaliforniaCowboy
Joe Khatib said:

Yes, unfortunately two of those losses were very winnable games!
yes.... I don't know what is up with this team.

I'll stick with my original assessment, we still don't have a floor general.

or somebody with a dagger in their back pocket
CaliforniaCowboy
on the brighter side...

It was the smallest margin of victory for UConn so far this season. The Huskies' next closest was an 82-67 win over then-No. 18 Alabama last Friday
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.