Story Poster
Photo by Pat Kinnison - Chief Photographer
Oklahoma State Football

Mason Cobb Announces He Will Go in the Portal on Monday

December 3, 2022

STILLWATER – Oklahoma State linebacker and the Cowboys leading tackler this past season Mason Cobb has announced he is going to enter the NCAA Transfer Portal on Monday when Division I FBS undergraduate players can first enter the portal. 

This season Cobb played virtually every snap on defense the last half of the season and he finished with a team-leading 96 tackles, 13-tackles-for-loss, two sacks, an interception, 11 quarterback hurries, and a forced fumble. 

Pokes Report first reported on Dec. 1 that we had heard that Cobb was considering the transfer portal after being contacted by Texas A&M or an intermediary that conveyed a message that Texas A&M was interested in bringing Cobb into their program and that NIL opportunities awaited him. Pokes Report had this from two sources including one close to the Texas A&M program. These are the days of the wild, wild, west and it is almost impossible to keep tampering and these kinds of activities. 

Cobb was recruited to Oklahoma State out of Provo, Utah after standout high school career that saw him make 237 tackles in his final two seasons for the Provo Bulldogs. He also had 22 tackles for loss, and six interceptions those two seasons in earning All-District and All-State honors. He served as an understudy to standout linebackers like Amen Ogbongbemiga, Malcolm Rodriguez, and Devin Harper before becoming a full-time starter and standout this season as he earned second-team All-Big 12 honors from the coaches. 

Pat Kinnison - Chief Photographer
Cobb making a tackle on Bijan Robinson. 

Cobb finishes his Oklahoma State career with 109 total tackles, 14 tackles-for-loss, and three sacks. 

He was recruited to Oklahoma State primarily be Cowboys director of player development Beni Tonga. This is the first time that I can remember a recruit brought in by Tonga and member of the Polynesian culture leaving Oklahoma State before graduating or exhausting their college eligibility.

Oklahoma State will get Cobb’s scholarship back and will be able to put it to immediate use in the upcoming 2023 recruiting class. One possibility to help at the linebacker position was reportedly on campus for an unofficial visit on Saturday in University of Tulsa graduate transfer Justin Wright.

Wright, who has a COVID season and will leave Tulsa after playing through his redshirt senior season. The 6-2, 244-pound Wright is out of Abilene Cooper High School in Texas, and he has been a stat machine on defense for the Golden Hurricane. The last three seasons he has earned some sort of All-American Athletic Conference honors in December. 

In his red-shirt sophomore season Wright had 62 tackles in the shortened pandemic season with 9.0 tackles-for-loss and 1.5 sacks. He also had an interception and a fumble recovery.

Brett Rojo-USA TODAY Sports
Justin Wright (30)

In the 2021 season Wright tied for the team lead in tackles with 82 stops, 5.5 tackles-for-loss, and 3.5 sacks. He is a ball hawker and had an interception with a fumble forced, and a fumble recovered.

This past season concluded with Tulsa scoring a 37-30 upset over Houston last Saturday that Wright was instrumental in helping happen. He had 101 tackles this season with 10.5 tackles-for-loss, 2.0 sacks, two interceptions, two fumbles recovered, and a fumble forced. 

He most recently was honored by the AAC as the Defensive Player of the Week after Tulsa’s game with Memphis. Wright had a game high 13 tackles, a sack, 2.5 tackles for loss, a forced fumble, a pass breakup and a QB hurry in the game.

Wright already lists offers from Oklahoma State and Georgia Southern already on Twitter.

Whether the Pokes land Wright or other linebackers that they are in on like Utah product Mateaki Helu, they will need to pick up at least two more in the upcoming class. If not by the December signing date, then they will need to recruit for the position leading up to the signing date on Feb. 1.

In an opinion here, it is a further sign of the erosion of loyalty and the crumbling of the integrity in college athletics and college football. The old promise of a scholarship, all-expenses paid opportunity to get that education in return for a player’s talents on the football field are out the window. I am fully aware that over the years that has been violated by schools and coaches, but now the fuse burns at both ends. Maybe, that is fair. However, when players that display the initial loyalty of Mason Cobb become convinced they need to leave, that is proof that the portal and NIL have created a different level of commitment from prospects and active players in the sport. 

Discussion from...

Mason Cobb Announces He Will Go in the Portal on Monday

11,786 Views | 79 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by Duke Silver
Csquaredosu66
How long do you want to ignore this user?
NIL has ruined the game!
jrod1978
He won't be the last one to transfer out.
Crazed_Stallion
1st of many!
TUSKAPOKE
Next Cowboy up......the sign of more bad news to come. GO POKES!
Pokes4158
Hell yeah now let's go get a kid from Dartmouth to take his spot!
Joe Khatib
Good luck to him, but he is entering a bigger dumpster fire in Aggieland, if that is where he ends up, than the one in Norman or Lincoln, Nebraska!!! Say what you want about our Coaches but Jimbo is a scumbag deluxe who will probably be OUSTED next year! Robert pretty much alluded to this happening two days ago if you paid attention to his story about the A&M attempts to contact him!
POOBAPOKE
Too bad. He was my favorite player. Thanks for the memories. Good luck to you.

On an OSU football note… Oh My God.
Pokes4158
So on a real note who takes his spot for the bowl game?
Csquaredosu66
Pokes4158 said:

So on a real note who takes his spot for the bowl game?

Lamont bishop
Pokes4158
Well hopefully we get Fresno state then
Csquaredosu66
Harsh realities of NIL and ok state not stepping up to the plate to be competitive!
Pokes4158
I'm pretty curious to see how we respond overall this off-season. We heard a lot about next level this next level that after the 21 season ended. But the ensuing offseason we didn't bring in squat to address our needs and we went 7-6. If we go two straight off-seasons of the the same I'm really thinking osu isn't ready. I hope we respond in a big way and bring in some heat but I'm not feeling it so far with the offers we have put out
Pokes4158
Also pretty curious because We have been hearing now a couple years osu has nil but has remained to be seen
TUSKAPOKE
Need to get in the game more or get left behind and become the stepping stone prep team for the SEC and B10 to cherry pick the roster. That happened last year with two starters. OSU has the Cowboy way and takes the high road and I support that up to the point when your enemy grabs you by the throat and drags you into the ditch to kill you then you need to decide whether you want to fight to survive or roll over and be killed.
Joe Khatib
I put $5000 last February with Pokes With a Purpose shortly after they were formed! I will see what I can contribute in the next few months but this economy isn't making it easy these days! If people can afford just a $500 to a $1,000 every bit helps, but again I understand how tough it is in this economy. Go Pokes!
Joe Khatib
Yeah, it looks like Lamont will take over that spot!
Roughrider
Joe Khatib
I bet it really pissed you off and chapped your butt to see young Gundy get that State Title yesterday just like his dad and uncle did! LOLOLOL!
Inquisitor
Part of a good recruiter is hanging onto the good ones you have.

Gundy needs to get a very quick handle on this. I know this is happening everywhere but we do not recruit well enough to take these kinds of hits.

Joe K is absolutely right about Pokes With A Purpose. We need to fund our NIL programs now.
Crazed_Stallion
Gundy doesn't know how, nor does he think the portal is a "thing" he said so himself. It will slow down he said. I'm good he said.
Crazed_Stallion
What are you even talking about?
Pokes4158
Man no matter what the truth is behind the scenes or rumors etc etc it really genuinely doesn't feel like osu is doing great things in football. I remember down years and not meeting expectations but this feels differently than any year under Gundy. The fan base the lack of public information. Like things are behind held under wraps on purpose. I have no idea how it's all gonna shake out been since we won the fiesta bowl it's been on a downhill slide. That 5-0 run was a nice little consolation but man everything besides that has seemed feeble
GumbyFromPokeyLand
Don't write him off yet. This could be his way of securing an competitive NiIL offer/deal from OSU.
GumbyFromPokeyLand
Crazed_Stallion said:

Gundy doesn't know how, nor does he think the portal is a "thing" he said so himself. It will slow down he said. I'm good he said.

Get lost Zero. Your team has its own problems. Coming here to bash the pokes is grade school behavior.
Crazed_Stallion
Zero, that's just funny you all keep saying that. Like, read through something and want more for the program or get left behind crying.

Oh he's not coming back. We offered him a great NIL deal. He is just fine with OSU.
GumbyFromPokeyLand
Crazed_Stallion said:

Zero, that's just funny you all keep saying that. Like, read through something and want more for the program or get left behind crying.

Oh he's not coming back. We offered him a great NIL deal. He is just fine with OSU.

Deny you're a Zero fan. Come on big man, deny it.
GumbyFromPokeyLand
Speaking of the portal, did anyone see the article about portal-boy Caleb Williams latest fingernail job? Typical Zero type behavior. Can take the boy out of the mobilehome park, but you can't take the mobilehome park out of the boy. What a loser.
Joe Khatib
GumbyFromPokeyLand said:

Crazed_Stallion said:

Get lost Zero. Your team has its own problems. Coming here to bash the pokes is grade school behavior.
He always feigns innocence! I'm not a Gundy hater, of course you aren't!!!! LOLOLOL
texastornado
I think you'll see Gundy dive head first into the Portal this year come Monday. I expect at 5-10 offers to transfer depending on their scholarship limits and availability.
Joe Khatib
GumbyFromPokeyLand said:

Crazed_Stallion said:

Hmmm, let's see we had Josh Sills (NFL), Christian Holmes (NFL), Jaylon Warren (NFL), Israel Antoine who spent a year or two at Colorado(NFL) and Tanner Brown who could also be an NFL kicker next year, all through that PORTAL THAT GUNDY DOESNT KNOW HOW OR THINK IS A THING!!!! Better worry about that dumpster fire down south of OKC!!! Talk about a Coach who makes stupid moves, get rid of one of your best recruiters and position coaches before the season (Cale Gundy) because Lebby was insecure about his presence and cause friction from about half your roster, smart move, just brilliant!!! Oh Mr. Ed it is so fun dealing with intellectual lightweights!
Crazed_Stallion
I'm NOT a sewner fan, or a UO fan.
Crazed_Stallion
Because he paints his nails?
Crazed_Stallion
Listen, I'm repeating HIS words. He said the portal should slow down news flash it's only getting worse. I am very aware of the portal additions over the years. Tanner brown walked on from UNLV because he wanted a starting opportunity ( but you would know that).get off your high horse, people are allowed to be critical of the program. We don't all have to see rainbows and butterflies, we are allowed to see the troubled side of things. EVERY program has them, we just need to have as little as possible or we will become a farm program for the big dogs.
Joe Khatib
Crazed_Stallion said:

Listen, I'm repeating HIS words. He said the portal should slow down news flash it's only getting worse. I am very aware of the portal additions over the years. Tanner brown walked on from UNLV because he wanted a starting opportunity ( but you would know that).get off your high horse, people are allowed to be critical of the program. We don't all have to see rainbows and butterflies, we are allowed to see the troubled side of things. EVERY program has them, we just need to have as little as possible or we will become a farm program for the big dogs.
If that is the best you've got, then it is game, set, match, the facts are all on my side, hey try harder little man! I told you how much I put into the Pokes With a Purpose Fund, that I could afford, how about you bud? By the way are you sure Tanner didn't have to go thru the portal, remember there is also an ELIGIBILITY requirement since he was the kickoff guy at UNLV and played in at least half their games in 2020 as a walk on!
Crazed_Stallion
When you get out of your momma's basement you can join us in society and have real conversations. Tanner Walked on Joe.
Last Page
Page 1 of 3

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.