Story Poster
Photo by Pat Kinnison - Chief Photographer
Oklahoma State Football

Mason Cobb Announces He Will Go in the Portal on Monday

December 3, 2022

STILLWATER – Oklahoma State linebacker and the Cowboys leading tackler this past season Mason Cobb has announced he is going to enter the NCAA Transfer Portal on Monday when Division I FBS undergraduate players can first enter the portal. 

This season Cobb played virtually every snap on defense the last half of the season and he finished with a team-leading 96 tackles, 13-tackles-for-loss, two sacks, an interception, 11 quarterback hurries, and a forced fumble. 

Pokes Report first reported on Dec. 1 that we had heard that Cobb was considering the transfer portal after being contacted by Texas A&M or an intermediary that conveyed a message that Texas A&M was interested in bringing Cobb into their program and that NIL opportunities awaited him. Pokes Report had this from two sources including one close to the Texas A&M program. These are the days of the wild, wild, west and it is almost impossible to keep tampering and these kinds of activities. 

Cobb was recruited to Oklahoma State out of Provo, Utah after standout high school career that saw him make 237 tackles in his final two seasons for the Provo Bulldogs. He also had 22 tackles for loss, and six interceptions those two seasons in earning All-District and All-State honors. He served as an understudy to standout linebackers like Amen Ogbongbemiga, Malcolm Rodriguez, and Devin Harper before becoming a full-time starter and standout this season as he earned second-team All-Big 12 honors from the coaches. 

Pat Kinnison - Chief Photographer
Cobb making a tackle on Bijan Robinson. 

Cobb finishes his Oklahoma State career with 109 total tackles, 14 tackles-for-loss, and three sacks. 

He was recruited to Oklahoma State primarily be Cowboys director of player development Beni Tonga. This is the first time that I can remember a recruit brought in by Tonga and member of the Polynesian culture leaving Oklahoma State before graduating or exhausting their college eligibility.

Oklahoma State will get Cobb’s scholarship back and will be able to put it to immediate use in the upcoming 2023 recruiting class. One possibility to help at the linebacker position was reportedly on campus for an unofficial visit on Saturday in University of Tulsa graduate transfer Justin Wright.

Wright, who has a COVID season and will leave Tulsa after playing through his redshirt senior season. The 6-2, 244-pound Wright is out of Abilene Cooper High School in Texas, and he has been a stat machine on defense for the Golden Hurricane. The last three seasons he has earned some sort of All-American Athletic Conference honors in December. 

In his red-shirt sophomore season Wright had 62 tackles in the shortened pandemic season with 9.0 tackles-for-loss and 1.5 sacks. He also had an interception and a fumble recovery.

Brett Rojo-USA TODAY Sports
Justin Wright (30)

In the 2021 season Wright tied for the team lead in tackles with 82 stops, 5.5 tackles-for-loss, and 3.5 sacks. He is a ball hawker and had an interception with a fumble forced, and a fumble recovered.

This past season concluded with Tulsa scoring a 37-30 upset over Houston last Saturday that Wright was instrumental in helping happen. He had 101 tackles this season with 10.5 tackles-for-loss, 2.0 sacks, two interceptions, two fumbles recovered, and a fumble forced. 

He most recently was honored by the AAC as the Defensive Player of the Week after Tulsa’s game with Memphis. Wright had a game high 13 tackles, a sack, 2.5 tackles for loss, a forced fumble, a pass breakup and a QB hurry in the game.

Wright already lists offers from Oklahoma State and Georgia Southern already on Twitter.

Whether the Pokes land Wright or other linebackers that they are in on like Utah product Mateaki Helu, they will need to pick up at least two more in the upcoming class. If not by the December signing date, then they will need to recruit for the position leading up to the signing date on Feb. 1.

In an opinion here, it is a further sign of the erosion of loyalty and the crumbling of the integrity in college athletics and college football. The old promise of a scholarship, all-expenses paid opportunity to get that education in return for a player’s talents on the football field are out the window. I am fully aware that over the years that has been violated by schools and coaches, but now the fuse burns at both ends. Maybe, that is fair. However, when players that display the initial loyalty of Mason Cobb become convinced they need to leave, that is proof that the portal and NIL have created a different level of commitment from prospects and active players in the sport. 

Discussion from...

Mason Cobb Announces He Will Go in the Portal on Monday

12,098 Views | 79 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by Duke Silver
CaliforniaCowboy
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Csquaredosu66 said:

Harsh realities of NIL and ok state not stepping up to the plate to be competitive!
I think you meant to say OK State FANS not stepping up to the plate to be competitive

there is a defined limit on what the school is allowed to do, the rest is on the fans and other organizations (i.e., you, me, everyone)
Crazed_Stallion
Correct, the school is giving all that they legally can. It's up to the fans/boosters to help with everything else.
Pokes4158
What's osu gonna do about it? It's a given that we will lose some of our best players every offseason to the portal. We all know this is reality now. So are we gonna go get great replacements ourselves and play the game or will we sit on our hands? If loyalty doesn't matter and it's more business than ever we simply need to make business moves ourselves. If we play the way we have been our talent pool is gonna dwindle down each offseason
Joe Khatib
Joe Khatib said:

Crazed_Stallion said:

Listen, I'm repeating HIS words. He said the portal should slow down news flash it's only getting worse. I am very aware of the portal additions over the years. Tanner brown walked on from UNLV because he wanted a starting opportunity ( but you would know that).get off your high horse, people are allowed to be critical of the program. We don't all have to see rainbows and butterflies, we are allowed to see the troubled side of things. EVERY program has them, we just need to have as little as possible or we will become a farm program for the big dogs.
If that is the best you've got, then it is game, set, match, the facts are all on my side, hey try harder little man! I told you how much I put into the Pokes With a Purpose Fund, that I could afford, how about you bud? By the way are you sure Tanner didn't have to go thru the portal, remember there is also an ELIGIBILITY requirement since he was the kickoff guy at UNLV and played in at least half their games in 2020 as a walk on!
Aww, poor baby is throwing a temper tantrum because he got OWNED, why don't you have momma change your diaper!
Joe Khatib
CaliforniaCowboy said:

Csquaredosu66 said:

Harsh realities of NIL and ok state not stepping up to the plate to be competitive!
I think you meant to say OK State FANS not stepping up to the plate to be competitive

there is a defined limit on what the school is allowed to do, the rest is on the fans and other organizations (i.e., you, me, everyone)
Bingo, Cali is absolutely right, that is why you have groups like Pokes With a Purpose, anything beyond what the school is allowed must be done outside of the school, that's the way it is UNTIL SOMEONE REIGNS THIS STUFF IN !
GumbyFromPokeyLand
Crazed_Stallion said:

I'm NOT a sewner fan, or a UO fan.

Cute. But you are a Sooner fan and an OU season ticket holder. Gonna lie and deny it?
CProc7
Are we still assuming we are losing Sanders? If so do we have any shot at Card? He's looked better than Ewers imo.
Crazed_Stallion
No lie, will deny it. You don't know me keyboard warrior.
GumbyFromPokeyLand
Crazed_Stallion said:

No lie, will deny it. You don't know me keyboard warrior.

You're lying. People know who you are. Pathetic Zero.
Pokes4158
Are you joining the cali and joe crew? Is it even about sports anymore or are you here to stir up crap?
Crazed_Stallion
Step away from the keyboard and the cheeze its box. Might want to get out of the basement and take a breath, if you can get up the stairs.
GumbyFromPokeyLand
Pokes4158 said:

Are you joining the cali and joe crew? Is it even about sports anymore or are you here to stir up crap?

No. I'm here to call out a zero fan. He's here pretending to be an OSU fan just so he can bash our players under the guise of a frustrated fan. He can't admit it, because it blows his cover and would potentially get him kicked off the site.
Pokes4158
First of all they won't kick any one off. Nasty nasty things have been said on this forum and they do not care. Secondly why is someone an ou fan because they talk about struggles in the program? Like is it law you can only be an osu cowboy fan if you blindly say everything is ok? You can only look at things in the most positive light to be a fan here? Osu fans are starting to turn sour. Everyone forgot how to talk ball. No one accepts we all have opinions good and bad. Like why does a person with a different point of view have to be beat up on and called an ou fan? It's embarrassing for osu fans. We should be better than this
Crazed_Stallion
Why in the world would I be a UO fan and join a pokes site. Your such an idiot.

It's ok to be frustrated and mad at the way the program is right now. Want more from the guy making 7.5milloon
Pokes4158
He says that because your opinion does align with his. It's the same thing joe and cali do. They can say negative things or call out Robert Allen but lord forbid anyone else do it or you are a negative ou fan.
Joe Khatib
Because you posted something last year about this time attacking on of our recruits, and you put up a screen shot from from a Zero U website that is reserved for PREMIUM MEMBERS aka SUBSCRIBERS! YOU FORGOT ABOUT THAT DIDNT YOU!
Crazed_Stallion
Lol, wasn't me. But keep trying.
GumbyFromPokeyLand
Crazed_Stallion said:

Why in the world would I be a UO fan and join a pokes site. Your such an idiot.

It's ok to be frustrated and mad at the way the program is right now. Want more from the guy making 7.5milloon

Why? Because you're a pathetic loser. You live in Stillwater and enjoy a suite as a guest when OU is on the road. When OU is at home, you use your OU season tickets. You spilled the beans to one too many people.
GumbyFromPokeyLand
Crazed_Stallion said:

Lol, wasn't me. But keep trying.

Yeah, it was. It's still in your posting history Zero.
Crazed_Stallion
Cool, sure it wasn't from Twitter. I don't have any UO accounts. Last time I'm saying it.
Joe Khatib
Oh my God, what is it they say about liars, they have to come up with another lie to cover up their past lies! Nice thing about the Internet and this website there is a history and archive that YOU CANT ERASE, it is there forever!
GumbyFromPokeyLand
Crazed_Stallion said:

Cool, sure it wasn't from Twitter. I don't have any UO accounts. Last time I'm saying it.

Oooookaaaay

https://pokesreport.com/forums/4/topics/5325/replies/7030

Joe Khatib
BOOM, BUSTED!!!
Tell me lies, tell me sweet little lies- Fleetwood Mac
RIP Christine McVie!
Crazed_Stallion
It's a damn screenshot. I literally said I can't find the rest of the article in the post. Don't you think if I had a SoonerScoop subscription I would have posted the article? I know some older people like you have a hard time with technology, but reading? You can literally buy those at your local dollar general or Walmart.
Crazed_Stallion
Try again Joseph.
GumbyFromPokeyLand
Crazed_Stallion said:

It's a damn screenshot. I literally said I can't find the rest of the article in the post. Don't you think if I had a SoonerScoop subscription I would have posted the article? I know some older people like you have a hard time with technology, but reading? You can literally buy those at your local dollar general or Walmart.

Your defense of the Zeros and bashing OSU says it all, ZERO.
Joe Khatib
Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha, Why would an OSU fan buy a copy of Sonner Scoop from Walmart,by the way that is an ELECTRONIC POST BUB!
GumbyFromPokeyLand
Crazed_Stallion said:

Because he paints his nails?

Though it's really weird, no, not because he just paints his nancy nails. It's how he painted them. What a loser.
Crazed_Stallion
He can't read once again. Wow.
Joe Khatib
Crazed_Stallion said:

He can't read once again. Wow.
No, I can read just fine, but you have trouble remembering which lie you told so you have to really think hard to not get caught! I quote "LOL wasn't me but keep trying" Then Gumby busted your arse! The post at the top said Oklahoma.forums.rivals.com! These kids and their parents really ought to consider LEGAL ACTION AGAINST YOU!!!
Crazed_Stallion
Yeah, cool. Taking a screen shot. Good try there bud.
Joe Khatib
Here is my next question! Why would an OSU fan even GIVE A DAMN about what was said or posted on a Zero U website? EXPLAIN THAT TO ME!!!
Crazed_Stallion
Wasn't just them, was also in the Oklahoman and other news sources. Was/is a very sad situation.
Joe Khatib
Nah, not buying it, the screen shot said the Zeros had chosen to not pursue him any further! THAT IS IT! YOU added in your comments that the article said behavior issues were involved, IT NEVER SAID ANYTHING LIKE THAT IN THE SCREEN SHOT! YOU USED THE SCREEN SHOT TO JUSTIFY HATE TOWARDS THE KID!!!
Crazed_Stallion
K.
Page 2 of 3

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.