Story Poster
Photo by Robert Allen - Pokes Report

Cowboys Use Christmas Eve to Work on Special Teams

December 24, 2022

GILBERT, Ariz. – Oklahoma State spent part of Christmas Day outside at the swimming pools at the Sheraton Wild Horse Pass Resort. The weather was warm and the pools are heated so players, coaches, staff, and families took advantage of it.

Before the afternoon swimming the Cowboys underwent a special teams workout at Campo Verde High School in Gilbert. Head coach Mike Gundy has used this schedule for the past several years with success.

To continue reading, you must be a Pokes Report Premium subscriber.
Discussion from...

Cowboys Use Christmas Eve to Work on Special Teams

2,887 Views | 27 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by Pokes4158
Pokes4158
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Also waiting on who we announce as new additions to the offensive staff. We add one portal guy for the o line and run it back with Dickey and I'm not feeling to good. Doing my best to prepare for the disappointment when things don't change after the bowl game.
CaliforniaCowboy
why do you constantly wish ill will and disruption on our team?

Your opinion is worthless when measured against that of our coaches, especially Coach Gundy.

Personally, I hope we have exactly what Coach wants for players and for coaches, why can't you be happy with what the Coach provides for us?

It's looking really, really good ATM, if you would take a moment to look around.
Pokes4158
High light the part where I wished I'll will on the team
Pokes4158
Your opinion is worthless when measured against that of our coaches, especially Coach Gundy.
- as is yours
Pokes4158
Personally, I hope we have exactly what Coach wants for players and for coaches, why can't you be happy with what the Coach provides for us?
- I'm not a sheep. I'll evaluate and decide if I'm happy or not. Not just because coach gives it to me. Dickey is going into year 5 and results have been bad. Especially our worst season performance under any Gundy regime. That's why I'm not happy with what coach Gundy provided.
Pokes4158
It's looking really, really good ATM, if you would take a moment to look around.

-it's your opinion that things look really good atm. My opinion is that concerning our offensive line nothing has changed. If we add one experienced transfer from Texas state and that's it then nothing really has changed much. So if we run it back with almost everything the same as a historically bad year for the line except we added a guy then why is that grounds for being better? It's too early to say. So I'm basing it off of 4 years of work. Which is not good and grounds to make a change and do something better. Which I'm confident will not happen
Orangeheart72
Perhaps would help to consider that I think Dickey has just now (this upcoming spring) reached four recruiting classes and it's often 3rd or 4th year players who start to really take hold of the needs on OL. Plus, very little could be ascertained from this last season as you had an injury nightmare at the OL spots and frankly, lacked a running back ready to offset those OL problems/deficiencies as Warren had provided in '21. Finally, scan over the depth chart for this upcoming year.....if they stay healthy, there's starting to be a lot of at least 2nd & 3rd year players. Granted....not 4 star guys, but developmental guys. But Dickey's claim to fame was developmental guys at KSU who blocked OU's lines more games than not. I think reality dictates Dickey gets at least this upcoming year. In fact, the offensive side of the ball overall looks pretty solid IF a quarterback takes hold and a running back can give us more than two yards a carry when the defense causes some havoc with lanes. I'm honestly more concerned with DL depth in '23.
Pokes4158
I respect the effort and civil nature of your respond to my doubt about Dickey. I will say tho I am very well confirmed on my opinion of him and his tenure here. I have followed his time here like all coaches that are here over time. Especially the Gundy era. Dickey has lost most of his guys he has brought in and hasn't brought in the best talent to begin with. It's nothing personal toward the guy I just think after 4 years he has a solid body of work here to evaluate and it's just not very good. We've had moments but mostly he just hasn't produced. I like him and would love silver linings but man I just don't see it with the guy. If he stays I hope I'm wrong
CaliforniaCowboy
Pokes4158 said:

High light the part where I wished I'll will on the team
the whole post.... wishing for a new offensive staff (when there are no openings), wishing the guys we have could be replaced by some unknowns that you apparently prefer, etc.

the whole post. All of it.
CaliforniaCowboy
Pokes4158 said:

- as is yours
nooo...... I'm expressing Gundy's opinion. We need one or two more to add depth, but overall we're in decent shape.

It's not my opinion... if you listen it's pretty much the collective opinion of most posters in this forum, and of the coaching staff.

you just want to argue.

moving on
CaliforniaCowboy
Pokes4158 said:

I respect the effort and civil nature of your respond to my doubt about Dickey. I will say tho I am very well confirmed on my opinion of him and his tenure here. I have followed his time here like all coaches that are here over time. Especially the Gundy era. Dickey has lost most of his guys he has brought in and hasn't brought in the best talent to begin with. It's nothing personal toward the guy I just think after 4 years he has a solid body of work here to evaluate and it's just not very good. We've had moments but mostly he just hasn't produced. I like him and would love silver linings but man I just don't see it with the guy. If he stays I hope I'm wrong
why don't you ever provide any evidence or analytics to back your conjecture?

This year there were a plethora of injuries and no legitimate RBs..

In 2021, Dickey coached a unit that saw three players step into an everyday starter role and nine different players make at least one start. Even with the movement, the offensive line paved the way for an offense that controlled the pace of the game and moved the ball effectively. When it came to play in conference games only, Oklahoma State ranked No. 1 in the Big 12 in rushing offense, No. 2 in total offense and No. 3 in scoring offense. Josh Sills was a first team All-Big 12 pick.

Dickey's 2020 offensive line lost two starters in the season opener and was without seven different players at one point in the year. Despite shockingly hard luck with injuries, Dickey continually shuffled the lineup on a unit that helped the Cowboys rank among the Big 12's top four teams in both rushing offense and passing efficiency. The 2020 line also produced two first team All-Big 12 players in Teven Jenkins and Josh Sills.

In his first season in Stillwater, his offensive line paved the way for Chuba Hubbard to lead the FBS with 2,094 rushing yards and earn All-America and Big 12 Offensive Player of the Year status. The Cowboys of 2019 averaged 229.6 rushing yards per game - OSU's best mark since 2008. OSU ranked in the FBS top 25 in rushing offense, total offense and red zone offense. OSU's 2,985 rushing yards ranked seventh in school history and its 5.31 yards per rush ranked sixth in school history.

Pokes4158
So hoping for a new o line coach means I want ill will for the team? I don't think it works that way
Pokes4158
I watch the games to form my opinions I don't need to see the collective opinions. My way is far more accurate. Also I don't recall when Gundy said that send me the link
Pokes4158
I have before and you shot it all down. I think you said something like stats are for fools. Remember this is why we don't talk and I've ignored you for weeks. It's peaceful that way. Never said a word to ya. So really I think you want to argue not me. Anyway I'm back to blockin ya merry Christmas and happy new year
CaliforniaCowboy
Pokes4158 said:

So hoping for a new o line coach means I want ill will for the team? I don't think it works that way
the coach's are part of the team.... so yes, that is exactly how it works.

you want this team to not be this team, but rather to be some other team that only you imagine.

Yes... that is exactly what it means. You are wishing ill will on this team. you don't like this team, you want the team to be different.

what the heck? You don't get to redefine intent simply based on semantics.
CaliforniaCowboy
Pokes4158 said:

I watch the games to form my opinions I don't need to see the collective opinions. My way is far more accurate. Also I don't recall when Gundy said that send me the link
he said it in practically every interview. go do you're own homework.
CaliforniaCowboy
Pokes4158 said:

I have before and you shot it all down. I think you said something like stats are for fools. Remember this is why we don't talk and I've ignored you for weeks. It's peaceful that way. Never said a word to ya. So really I think you want to argue not me. Anyway I'm back to blockin ya merry Christmas and happy new year
I've never said that stats are for fools... never. Nothing even remotely close to that.

I did say stats are for illumination, and not for proof.

How about you block the team, you don't seem to like them.

and it did not go unnoticed by me that you completely ignored the 3 years of achievements by Coach Dickey. Dumbfounded by revelation, I suppose.
Pokes4158

Pokes4158
Can't see it cali.
CaliforniaCowboy
Pokes4158 said:

Can't see it cali.
I don't see anything but giant print of your same posts over and over, and a picture of George Clooney
Pokes4158
Still can't see it
CaliforniaCowboy
no clue what you're talking about... the money line?
Pokes4158
I don't think cali knows what ignored means lol
CaliforniaCowboy
Pokes4158 said:

I don't think cali knows what ignored means lol
apparently YOU don't know what it means, I thought you were putting me on ignore, you'd best get on with it and stop responding and cluttering up the forum
Pokes4158
You'll figure it out
CaliforniaCowboy
Pokes4158 said:

You'll figure it out

I already figured it out, it's just like normal, you type what you want and ignore everything anybody else writes.... nothing changed.
Pokes4158
Or maybe not
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.