Story Poster
Photo by The Times Leader
Oklahoma State Football

Breaking: Oklahoma State Hires Bryan Nardo as Defensive Coordinator

January 24, 2023

STILLWATER – Oklahoma State has found its new defensive coordinator less than a month into the search. Mike Gundy has hired Bryan Nardo, Defensive Coordinator and linebackers coach at Gannon University.

With the announcement of Nardo, Joe Bob Clements has been elevated to Co-Defensive Coordinator and Tim Duffie has been promoted to Defensive Passing Game Coordinator.

"I'm excited about the addition of the Bryan Nardo as our defensive coordinator," coach Mike Gundy said. "He's a young energetic, bright football coach who brings 10 years of coordinating experience with him. He's been successful and his innovative system has helped win games everywhere he's been.

"Additionally, I have elevated Joe Bob Clements to Co-Defensive Coordinator and Tim Duffie to Defensive Passing Game Coordinator. They've had a long-term commitment to Oklahoma State and have been a large part of the success of our program."

Nardo was hired by Gannon in February 2022 after spending two seasons as the linebackers coach at Youngstown State and nine years as the defensive coordinator and linebackers coach at Emporia State.

"I cannot thank Coach Gundy and the rest of the staff enough for their openness throughout this entire process and for trusting me with this responsibility," Bryan Nardo said in the release from OSU. "I am extremely excited to join the rich tradition of Oklahoma State football. I can't wait to get to work and continue to build upon all of the great things that have been done here throughout history. I spent eight years recruiting the state of Oklahoma, seeing first hand the amount of pride people have in this university's athletic programs. There's no better place to be able to represent.

"I am also thankful for Coach Erik Raeburn and Lisa Goddard McGuirk for the opportunities they presented me with at Gannon. Their trust and belief is something I don't feel like I will ever be able to truly repay. Gannon is a special place and I loved every day working there. This is an exciting time for my family. Emma, Dominick, Elijah and I are excited to get to Stillwater and begin building relationships within the community."

This past season, Nardo’s Golden Knights defense held opponents to 21.9 points, 103.5 rushing yards and just 183.9 passing yards per game in 2022. Opponents averaged 4.4 yards per play and 287.4 yards per game. They converted on 36.9% (64-of-173) on 3rd down and 50% on 4th down (12-of-24). Nardo’s defense also forced 18 fumbles, recovered seven of them, recorded 32 sacks for a loss of 194 yards, 76 tackles for loss and nine interceptions.

Prior to his move to Youngstown State, Nardo was named to the AFCA’s 35 Under 35 list in 2019, which is a list of the top 35 college football coaches under the age of 35.

In his final season at Emporia State, 2019, Nardo’s defense held opponents to 21.6 points and 340.4 yards per game, 124.3 on the ground and 216.1 through the air. His defense also recorded 71 tackles for loss, 28 sacks, nine forced and recovered fumbles apiece, and 10 interceptions.

During his time at Emporia State, his defenses forced 209 takeaways, recorded more than 25 a season from 2012-16. He also produced two All-American linebackers during that time, Ben Carlson (2012) and Jace McDown (2019), and turned out six different 100+ tackle linebackers, including all three starting linebacker in 2019 recording 100+ tackles, the first time that’s happened in Mid-American Intercollegiate Athletics Association history.

Prior to his time at Emporia, Nardo coached at Missouri S&T and was named the Great Lakes Football Conference Assistant Coach of the Year in 2011.

Originally out of Shadyside, Ohio, Nardo served as a student coach at Ohio University from 2004-08, then served as a graduate assistant for Ohio from 2008-10, coaching nickel backs and outside backers.

Discussion from...

Breaking: Oklahoma State Hires Bryan Nardo as Defensive Coordinator

19,042 Views | 72 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by Joe Khatib
Joe Khatib
How long do you want to ignore this user?
LS1Z28 said:

Joe Khatib said:

Crazed_Stallion said:

LMFAO absolute pathetic. This guy cant even spell Power 5 and Gundy hires him as the DC. Fire Gundy
Yeah just terrible, let's see Yurcich went from Shippensberg to Oklahoma State to Ohio State to Texas to the current Rose Bowl champs Penn State! By the way why isn't old Bent Vegetables making any defensive changes at Zero U, they were even worse than OSU on defense and finished 6 - 7!!!!
Yurcich was dominant at the D2 level. His offense averaged 47 PPG and 530 YPG his final season there. He had the best D2 offense in the country.

Darbo's defense last year at Gannon ranked 53rd in the country in scoring. He's only been mildly successful at that level.

This may be the most underwhelming hire in the history of our football program. I flat out don't get it. Is this really the very best candidate available, or is Coach Gundy just hiring someone that won't leave anytime soon?
Probably defense by Committee, much like what they had with Knowles in 2020 and 2021! He made the final call on plays on Saturday but it was a collaborative effort during game week! If you don't believe me call Robert on his show tomorrow or do his TPT thing! This guy comes from the Heacock tree out of Iowa State and is being brought in because of his expertise in the odd man front and scheme which is what Gundy wants to run here because he said that scheme run by Tony Gibson at West Virginia under Dana and the above mentioned Heacock scheme are what cause the most difficulty for the spread offenses run in this conference! Also, make no mistake he, Joe Bob and Duff with their added titles will be making about $ 1,000,000 in salary and will be expected to produce results!
Crazed_Stallion
Knowles ran the system when he was here. It was HIS system. Sure, the guys had some input during installation week, what coaches don't. Gundy himself said he was a mad scientist and just shut himself in the office and came up with schemes. Only time anyone had any REAL say was the bowl game against ND. He is not from the Heacock tree. He just likes the 3-3-5 system. He is very innovative with his safeties and his LBs are usually good (his old position of coaching at YS). This hire makes really no sense. If he had amazing numbers in the div 2 level year after year such as a MY i would get it. This is just a "safe" hire because the guy won't leave for 3-5 years. It better work out or Gundys seat will be boiling next season.
SWCowboyD
The more I look at this hire the more it makes sense. Nardo's biggest strength is his knowledge of the 3-3-5 defense and his development of linebackers. By elevating JBC to Co- Defensive Coordinator and Duffie to Passing game Coordinator, Gundy is able to keep a good staff in place. Linebacker play is the one area last season that lacked in progression. My one question is what does this mean for Collin Oliver? I know the LEO was a hybrid position, but he seemed to play more DE than LB. If he can transition to playing LB more that would be great! With Oliver and Justin Wright (he's already used to the 3-3-5) at LB's that is two monster LB's. If one more of our younger LB's comes through that would be a really good group.
Duke Silver
LS1Z28 said:

Joe Khatib said:

Crazed_Stallion said:

LMFAO absolute pathetic. This guy cant even spell Power 5 and Gundy hires him as the DC. Fire Gundy
Yeah just terrible, let's see Yurcich went from Shippensberg to Oklahoma State to Ohio State to Texas to the current Rose Bowl champs Penn State! By the way why isn't old Bent Vegetables making any defensive changes at Zero U, they were even worse than OSU on defense and finished 6 - 7!!!!
Yurcich was dominant at the D2 level. His offense averaged 47 PPG and 530 YPG his final season there. He had the best D2 offense in the country.

Darbo's defense last year at Gannon ranked 53rd in the country in scoring. He's only been mildly successful at that level.

This may be the most underwhelming hire in the history of our football program. I flat out don't get it. Is this really the very best candidate available, or is Coach Gundy just hiring someone that won't leave anytime soon?
This is half info. He was there for 1 year and improved the d by 100 yards per game.
LS1Z28
Duke Silver said:

LS1Z28 said:

Joe Khatib said:

Crazed_Stallion said:

This is half info. He was there for 1 year and improved the d by 100 yards per game.
D2 information is difficult to find. I went back through Emporia State's athletic website, because I wanted to get a better picture of how he did there. Here is what I found:

Average points given up per game:
2019 - 24.6 PPG
2018 - 26.4 PPG
2017 - 28.3 PPG
2016 - 24.2 PPG
2015 - 26.4 PPG
2014 - 32.5 PPG
2013 - 27.6 PPG
2012 - 27.3 PPG

I can't find historical team defense rankings, but for reference, the 25th ranked defense this year gave up an average of 17.9 PPG. It doesn't appear that Nardo has ever come close to having a top 25 defense at the D2 level.

Gannon's defense did improve some under him last year, but I still don't understand this hire at all. His career overall at the D2 level has been very underwhelming.
Joe Khatib
LS1Z28 said:

Duke Silver said:

LS1Z28 said:

Joe Khatib said:

Crazed_Stallion said:

D2 information is difficult to find. I went back through Emporia State's athletic website, because I wanted to get a better picture of how he did there. Here is what I found:

Average points given up per game:
2019 - 24.6 PPG
2018 - 26.4 PPG
2017 - 28.3 PPG
2016 - 24.2 PPG
2015 - 26.4 PPG
2014 - 32.5 PPG
2013 - 27.6 PPG
2012 - 27.3 PPG

I can't find historical team defense rankings, but for reference, the 25th ranked defense this year gave up an average of 17.9 PPG. It doesn't appear that Nardo has ever come close to having a top 25 defense at the D2 level.

Gannon's defense did improve some under him last year, but I still don't understand this hire at all. His career overall at the D2 level has been very underwhelming.
Go read Zac and Roberts article about why he was brought in and it will tell you all you need to know!
Joe Khatib
Crazed_Stallion said:

Knowles ran the system when he was here. It was HIS system. Sure, the guys had some input during installation week, what coaches don't. Gundy himself said he was a mad scientist and just shut himself in the office and came up with schemes. Only time anyone had any REAL say was the bowl game against ND. He is not from the Heacock tree. He just likes the 3-3-5 system. He is very innovative with his safeties and his LBs are usually good (his old position of coaching at YS). This hire makes really no sense. If he had amazing numbers in the div 2 level year after year such as a MY i would get it. This is just a "safe" hire because the guy won't leave for 3-5 years. It better work out or Gundys seat will be boiling next season.
Oh bulls**t Sooner Man! After 2018 Gundy told him he wanted to employ more of the Tony Gibson and John Heacock schemes and Knowles adjusted the base 4 - 2 - 5 to utilizing odd man fronts with the BIG Defensive end in the 285 to 290 range along the three man front (Ala Tyler Lacy and now Anthony Goodlowe)! He moved Rodriguez from safety to linebacker to add more speed! The 3 -3 -5 scheme causes more disruption when going against the spread offenses you see in this conference! Again, read Roberts article on why he was brought in, he spent time with Heacock learning the scheme and it's basic concepts, WHY DO YOU F'ING LIE SO MUCH!!
TUSKAPOKE
"Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience." Mark Twain.................

"Silence is the best response to a fool." Unknown

"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe."
Albert Einstein

The winner of these arguments will be known in three years....Stay tuned!
Crazed_Stallion
Non of that is true. My friend on staff will say otherwise. It's ok though. We can agree to disagree. I know what I know. I wasn't trying to argue, was just trying to tell you that it was HIS defense.
Crazed_Stallion
Once this guy is chased out of town. The speed is going to such a shock to his system.
Joe Khatib
Crazed_Stallion said:

Non of that is true. My friend on staff will say otherwise. It's ok though. We can agree to disagree. I know what I know. I wasn't trying to argue, was just trying to tell you that it was HIS defense.
The guy who told me is the GA worked directly for Knowles for three years and is now the linebacker coach at Tulsa under Wilson! So I guess the guy working directly under Knowles was telling me LIES! YOU ARE SO FULL OF S**T SOONER BOY!
GumbyFromPokeyLand
Joe Khatib said:

Crazed_Stallion said:

Oh bulls**t Sooner Man! After 2018 Gundy told him he wanted to employ more of the Tony Gibson and John Heacock schemes and Knowles adjusted the base 4 - 2 - 5 to utilizing odd man fronts with the BIG Defensive end in the 285 to 290 range along the three man front (Ala Tyler Lacy and now Anthony Goodlowe)! He moved Rodriguez from safety to linebacker to add more speed! The 3 -3 -5 scheme causes more disruption when going against the spread offenses you see in this conference! Again, read Roberts article on why he was brought in, he spent time with Heacock learning the scheme and it's basic concepts, WHY DO YOU F'ING LIE SO MUCH!!

Correct. Knowles ran a 4-2 quarters defense at Duke. He adjusted that defense to suit Gundy's requirements.
Joe Khatib
GumbyFromPokeyLand said:

Joe Khatib said:

Crazed_Stallion said:

Correct. Knowles ran a 4-2 quarters defense at Duke. He adjusted that defense to suit Gundy's requirements.
I should know better Gumby but it is so maddening seeing his BS!
Eclectic
I will give Nardo his chance, but this isn't the hire i was looking for to become an elite program. My mind can't help but wonder what it says to recruits.....
GumbyFromPokeyLand
Gundy should have hired the acknowledged best DC in the business - Brent Venables. Oh,,wait. OUs defense in 2022.

For all you playcalling, coach criticizing knuckleheads that think this is a bad hire, nobody knows how it will turn out. Give it a chance, for gods sake.
PaloDuroPoke
I like the hire. Love that we hired an energetic young coach that has some new ideas. I also like that the staff and terminology remains very similar. At the end of the day, talent is very good on the defense and coaches need to get the right guys on the field. I was told by a D-2 defensive coach that this guy is a future star. Very knowledgeable about the game, creative, and very high character. Looking forward to seeing what he and the others can do to get this young talent playing hard and smart.

On another note, I wish our fans were more positive and trusting. My goodness several of you are embarrassing our university and yourself. Now it's expected from you gooner trolls that post here (you know who you are) but OSU fans get on board. We need to get behind this decision. It was made by guys that jobs depend on it. I'm excited to see the impact of this choice.
Crazed_Stallion
When you hire a division 2 DC that hasn't had success at all at the division 1 level to a P5 job. The dude got to skip steps because Gundy thinks he is the smartest man in the room. This dude will be nothing but a lap dog. Yes sir no sir to Gundy. That's not what this program needs. 4 wins at best next season with the BS that is going on.
Crazed_Stallion
This guy sure in energetic. He said on a podcast that he loves his family more than coaching. Do you really want that guy coaching a team? Sure, it's great to love your family. This is a high pressure job that he is just not ready for. This guy won't last 2 seasons.
GumbyFromPokeyLand
Crazed_Stallion said:

When you hire a division 2 DC that hasn't had success at all at the division 1 level to a P5 job. The dude got to skip steps because Gundy thinks he is the smartest man in the room. This dude will be nothing but a lap dog. Yes sir no sir to Gundy. That's not what this program needs. 4 wins at best next season with the BS that is going on.

Why do you care? You spend your money on the Zeros, not the Cowboys. I guess children just like to play make-believe.
Crazed_Stallion
I spend about 12 thousand dollars a year between season tickets and donations to Oklahoma State University. I care because OSU is better than this. I care because I want to see us continue the success. Gundy at this point imo is heading towards the GP cycle at TCU. I don't want his legacy to be that. I want him to care what fans thinks and be apathetic towards the fanbase that he has basically spent his entire life with. He just seems so disconnected from fans, players etc. just looks like he is getting his check because he is on a lifetime contract and his seat will never be warm.
GumbyFromPokeyLand
BS. All you do is bash the entire coaching staff, program and selected players. Nobody with that attitude spends $12k of his own money supporting something he hates.
Crazed_Stallion
Don't hate it. Just want a better approach than just slapping dollar general tape on things.
Duke Silver
Csquaredosu66
Crazed_Stallion said:

Don't hate it. Just want a better approach than just slapping dollar general tape on things.
that made me laugh...really! LOL
Joe Khatib
Crazed_Stallion said:

I spend about 12 thousand dollars a year between season tickets and donations to Oklahoma State University. I care because OSU is better than this. I care because I want to see us continue the success. Gundy at this point imo is heading towards the GP cycle at TCU. I don't want his legacy to be that. I want him to care what fans thinks and be apathetic towards the fanbase that he has basically spent his entire life with. He just seems so disconnected from fans, players etc. just looks like he is getting his check because he is on a lifetime contract and his seat will never be warm.
Then how come you aren't a premium subscriber anymore!!!
Crazed_Stallion
Didn't know I had to be to be here Joe. There hasn't been anything worth premium content on this site. If that will make you happy I can get backup premiere status.
Joe Khatib
Yeah about that! Back during the Fiesta Bowl Zach had a chat going on during the game! Now most people who spend that kind of money usually attend New Years SIx Bpwl games sgainst the likes of Notre Dame! I attended but don't spend that amount! Back to the chat in question, our buddy the Horsey was bashing team and Coaches all through the first half when we fell behind but once we caught up and went ahead in the third quarter he disappeared and never returned, not even to congratulate the players! I noticed this chat forum the night after the game! One thing bout archving, it keeps everything saved in perpetuity! LOLOLOL
GumbyFromPokeyLand
This thread is very instructive.

The posters that are emphatic this is a bad hire are basically telling this forum (and undoubtedly there circle of contacts) that with limited data and insight, they know better what's good for the program than Gundy or Weiberg. It's therefore difficult to put any stock in any opinions on any subject offered therefrom.
Csquaredosu66
GumbyFromPokeyLand said:

This thread is very instructive.

The posters that are emphatic this is a bad hire are basically telling this forum (and undoubtedly there circle of contacts) that with limited data and insight, they know better what's good for the program than Gundy or Weiberg. It's therefore difficult to put any stock in any opinions on any subject offered therefrom.
DING DING DING...delusional!
Crazed_Stallion
The jury is still out. If he ends up being a good hire I will give him his flowers. Thinking a D2 DC can come to our program and make an immediate impact is delusional. If anything it will be 3years away of that. We don't have that kind of time with the conference restructured.
Crazed_Stallion
Sure. I was there. But get your jolly's off.
GumbyFromPokeyLand
Crazed_Stallion said:

The jury is still out. If he ends up being a good hire I will give him his flowers. Thinking a D2 DC can come to our program and make an immediate impact is delusional. If anything it will be 3years away of that. We don't have that kind of time with the conference restructured.

Does D2 play with different rules? Different offenses? Different defenses? 11 v 11? I guess HS coach going directly to D1 is a total non-starter?

Joe Khatib
Crazed_Stallion said:

I bet you weren't, you were getting your jolly's off on a live chat during the game when we were behind but disappeared after we took the lead and then won the game, remember archiving leaves everything in perpetuity! LOLOLOLOL
Joe Khatib
GumbyFromPokeyLand said:

Crazed_Stallion said:

Does D2 play with different rules? Different offenses? Different defenses? 11 v 11? I guess HS to D1 is a total non-starter?

You need to worry about how you are going to keep your defense from being rolled in the SEC Horsey!!!
GumbyFromPokeyLand
Joe Khatib said:

Crazed_Stallion said:

I bet you weren't, you were getting your jolly's off on a live chat during the game when we were behind but disappeared after we took the lead and then won the game, remember archiving leaves everything in perpetuity! LOLOLOLOL

Exactly. He was really getting his jollies in the first half of the Fiesta Bowl, ripping the offense, defense and coaches on the live game thread. Then suddenly, he goes silent. Definitely a Zero move.
Page 2 of 3

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.