Story Poster
Photo by Oklahoma State football/Twitter
Oklahoma State Football Recruiting

Don't Recite Any Recruiting or Portal Rankings, Gundy Likes this Class

February 1, 2023

STILLWATER – Oklahoma State head coach Mike Gundy talked with me on the radio on Feb. 1, what ued to be the old traditional signing day, but few things are traditional any longer. Yes, there is an early signing day in December, there is the transfer portal, and there is NIL. It all adds up to more roster transition than ever. The local and national media would seemingly make you think that only happens at Oklahoma State.

To continue reading, you must be a Pokes Report Premium subscriber.
Discussion from...

Don't Recite Any Recruiting or Portal Rankings, Gundy Likes this Class

3,290 Views | 9 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by Orangeheart72
Pokes4158
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Maybe this class turns out to be good but the last class we had similar to this turned out miserably. (2020) I'll reserve judgement but I think it's fair to say recruiting excitement is at an all time low.
PaloDuroPoke
I love this class. Athletes everywhere especially on defense. I'm talking the entire class. The star counters will be disappointed but this is the type of class that's won lots of games the last decade. But hey Texas and Ou won the recruiting championship again in the big 12 and couldn't make it to the last two championship games. Look at the kids, look at the desire, and sit back and watch them contribute to another 10 win season in a couple years. Great job.
Calpoke
You mention 38 new players in your article but I only count 34 in the class based on signees and portals. Who am I missing?
gary121853
Question? Has anyone EVER heard ANY HC (Gundy included) publically say ....'I dont like this class...my staff underperformed on recruiting etc" .... It's always ... "i really like this class..etc"

Give me a break!
OSUgary
Justapoken
No. But, I have seen where coaches don't comment about their class.
Orangeheart72
Calpoke said:

You mention 38 new players in your article but I only count 34 in the class based on signees and portals. Who am I missing?

4 or 5 preferred walkons. They're now eligible for some money as well.
GumbyFromPokeyLand
gary121853 said:

Question? Has anyone EVER heard ANY HC (Gundy included) publically say ....'I dont like this class...my staff underperformed on recruiting etc" .... It's always ... "i really like this class..etc"

Give me a break!

You should change your handle to "Stargazer". "Stars" seem to be your only focus.
thetruth
RA, with all due respect, every coach in America "likes their class". Do you think any coach goes on record saying "this class isn't very good, if we don't make up for it in the next two classes, we're probably going to struggle in a big way".
I'd much rather sign a class full of guys that multiple P5 schools offered as well. We didn't do that, unfortunately.
Orangeheart72
One of our new wide receivers has a father who played in the NFL. The father played college ball first at Hutchinson Community College before moving to Minnesota U. Point is, a guy from Utah Tech or Fox U. picked out by this coaching staff may be pretty danged good. The schools may not reflect a lack of potential.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.