Story Poster
Photo by Robert Allen - Pokes Report
Oklahoma State Football

Gage Gundy to Focus on Baseball Out of High School

May 13, 2023

STILLWATER – One of the biggest questions entering this spring baseball season with Stillwater High School was whether or not Gage Gundy, the son of Oklahoma State football head coach Mike Gundy, was going to be focusing on baseball full-time, or try his hand at playing college football.

Well, we finally have our answer. Shortly after the Pioneers lost to Yukon 3-1 in the 6A state tournament at Tulsa Union, Gundy told his future plans to Jason Elmquist of the Stillwater News Press. The youngest Gundy is going to try and possibly become Brandon Weeden 2.0 as he’s looking to try and play baseball for as long as possible.

He told the News Press he’s planning on playing summer ball from June through July up in Pennsylvania leading up to the 2023 MLB Draft, which takes place July 9-11, in order to try and improve his draft stock.

However, if professional baseball isn’t in the cards for Gage this year, he told Elmquist he’s planning on attending IMG Academy down in Bradenton, FL, which offers a post-graduate baseball program, in order to maintain his four-year collegiate eligibility clock for football.

“If nothing that I want to happen (getting drafted) happens this year, I’m gonna go there and give it another year because what I really want to be able to do is use all four of my years in college for football, so I want to keep both sports open,” Gundy told the News Press. “So going to stick with baseball for a few years and see where it goes.”

Pokes Report has learned that Gundy actually worked out with the Chicago White Sox on Saturday. Which makes sense based on the great numbers he put up this season as a senior.

This spring, Gage was electric on the diamond. The 6-4, 215-pound athlete led the team with an impressive .457 on the year with a .531 OBP. He finished the season with 63 hits, 14 of which were doubles, two triples and 16 home runs with 63 RBIs. He also scored 44 runs and recorded just 25 strikeouts in 138 at-bats. He was also walked 16 times.

He led the team in hits, doubles, home runs and RBIs.

On the defensive side of things, Gundy finished the season with a .979 fielding percentage, best among the starting infielders, committing just five errors in 40 starts.

On the football field, Gundy led the Pioneers to their first state championship in 55 years, while completing 68% of his passes and throwing for 30 touchdowns. He also rushed for nearly 600 yards and 10 touchdowns on 107 carries.

The youngest Gundy is an incredible athlete with a very bright future ahead of him, whether that’s on the baseball diamond or on the gridiron after baseball.

Discussion from...

Gage Gundy to Focus on Baseball Out of High School

7,445 Views | 2 Replies | Last: 10 mo ago by TeaTownCowboy
Joe Khatib
How long do you want to ignore this user?
He has McLean and Schubert type power so it will be interesting to see what his future holds!!!
TeaTownCowboy
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Those are some very nice stats. Dang, he's big, 6'4" X 215, where'd he get that size, from the postman? #JustKidding

I had heard one of the Gumby sons was a heck of a baseball player, I thought it was Gunnar and thought he'd go for baseball. Had the wrong son.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.