Story Poster
Photo by Oklahoma State Athletics
Oklahoma State Wrestling

Meet the Face of Cowgirls Soccer Shutouts, Now a Record Eight

September 13, 2024

STILLWATER –  Oklahoma State had the long ride home on Thursday night into Friday morning following 1-0 win in the Big 12 Conference opener at Baylor. The Cowgirls were celebratory and got a traditional sweet treat on their way out of town to toast the 1-0 start in the Big 12 and the 7-0-1 beginning to the season. Ranked No. 15 in both polls the Cowgirls should move up next week provided they take care of business on Sunday afternoon against Texas A&M-Commerce for a final non conference opponent and an early Senior Day at Neal Patterson Stadium. 

Oklahoma State Athletics
Gordon with a save in Bedlam, a 1-0 OSU win.

Cowgirls goalkeeper Grace Gordon had a realtive easy night with just one save on two-shots-on-goal. Gordon can smile because once again, no goal allowed. Oklahoma State has reached a school record eight games this season without allowing a goal. They are one of just two teams in NCAA Division I Women’s Soccer to have not allowed a goal. 

“It feels good. “For sure it’s not just me. It’s the back line, the midfield, the offense, everyone,” Gordon told me about the defensive success, absolute choking opposing offenses. “Our defense is the entire team but being the representative is really good and they make my job easy.”

Gordon has done a lot. Opponents have taken 90 shots, 32 have been shots-on-goal. Gordon has 26 saves in over 695 minutes played. They don’t show up, but a few of her teammates have jumped in when Gordon has been caught out of the box and they too have been perfect.

Chloe’ Joseph did it in the Bedlam match win and Mollie Breiner and Alex Morris have pitched in as well.

“They are always there to put themselves on the line,” Gordon said. “It is a willingness to get in front of the ball. I know in the past other teams it’s been like they don’t want to get hit by the ball. Here it is no problem.”

Pokes Report
Colin Carmichael loves the shut outs.

The problem will come when a ball leaks past or maybe screams by Gordon. It is going to happen. It is like head coach Colin Carmichael told me.

“It’s going to happen. We just have to understand that,” Carmichale said. “We’ve talked about that. We just can’t let it bother us that much. This has been a good run, but nobody goes an entires season without giving up a goal. It happens so understand that and then start another run.”

Gordon admits it will be a disappointment, but it is bound to happen.

“We joke about it, when it happens will we look at each and say, ‘did that really happen,’” confessed Gordon. “Then it will be figuring out what we did wrong and correcting it. It is a game of soccer.”

The question is how long does the record drought for Oklahoma State opponents last?

Discussion from...

Meet the Face of Cowgirls Soccer Shutouts, Now a Record Eight

491 Views | 0 Replies | Last: 5 days ago by Robert Allen
There are not any replies to this post yet.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.