Story Poster
Oklahoma State Football

Post Spring Position Analysis: Offensive Line

May 8, 2021

STILLWATER – Talking to Charlie Dickey, the Oklahoma State offensive line coach after the end of spring practice and he smiles, but he will be quick to point out that while the offensive line is better, more stabilized after spring practice, it is not the finished product. Dickey loved the effort, enthusiasm, and focus that he received out of the players in the off season and through the 15 spring practices.

To watch this video, you must be a Pokes Report Premium subscriber.
Discussion from...

Post Spring Position Analysis: Offensive Line

3,320 Views | 14 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by CanadianCowboy
Theecolonel
How long do you want to ignore this user?
The line could be a strength in the coming years.
USA First!!!!
CaliforniaCowboy
I get all the hype and hope, and I share the hope, but the first 3 games will be critical to see if this OLine is going to be a roaring success or another season-long work in progress.

LT is the biggest question mark, counting on a JUCO kid that is not even on campus, or a kid that has almost no experience .... to cover the QB's blind side.

RT has Springfield who got some good experience, but he was still a raw WALK ON to start last season.

Our Center is supposed to be solid, but he's the QB of the OLine, and he's never called our playbook or blocking schemes.

hopefully we don't experience a lot of injuries this year, I almost feel that many of those injuries were due to development time lost due to COVID lockdowns. The guys should be in great shape after this Spring and the summer conditioning.

There is lots of hope for this OLine... and Sanders deserves to have stability in front of him to really show us what he's got, without having to do the happy foot dance.
Kovboj
Some of the nagging injuries were probably due to less time to condition. The major injuries that took out two starters in the first game, were just freak unavoidable injuries. The LB for Tulsa rolled up on Birmingham from behind. Anthony's was likewise unavoidable. That was just really bad luck to start the year. Those guys did not return until like the last game of regular season or the bowl game.

I agree, the line could be pretty good the next few years.
Orangeheart72
I'm too old to remember everything that happened last year to the OL, but the two who got kicked off the team for Covid rule violations included a top tier starter and a good backup. Then the injury avalanche began and I think I recall at one time or another we lost enough linemen in total to populate both the 1st and 2nd strings. That's pretty telling on how our line performed.
CaliforniaCowboy
hmm... yep... performed us right out of a conference title, and into another dismal record, despite starting with supposed triplets... and sky's the limit promise.

Theecolonel
8 wins is a dismal record?
USA First!!!!
CaliforniaCowboy
Theecolonel said:

8 wins is a dismal record?
when put within the context in which I framed it... then yes.

We had "the triplets", once again... remember? and an improved defense for a change, remember? and projections were to contend for the Conf Championship... remember?

The OLine replacements played their hearts out, and I love them for that, but our running game and "heisman contender" could not break out, our QB was often running for his life, and Wallace was having a sub-par season before he went out.

I'm not sure what you were watching... this thread is about the performance of the OLine... not whether you want to take exception with my opinion of our record compared to our promise.

If you thought 8-3 was the top end for that team last year, then more to ya.
Theecolonel
When you post something stupid, expect to be called out on it.
USA First!!!!
Theecolonel
And of course 8-3 wasn't the Top end for the team, but that is how we played versus expectations. Expectations are like opinions are like......
USA First!!!!
CaliforniaCowboy
Theecolonel said:

And of course 8-3 wasn't the Top end for the team, but that is how we played versus expectations. Expectations are like opinions are like......
so, now you're saying it wasn't a stupid comment?

all I said was 8-3 was dismal versus expectations.... I think many would agree.
Theecolonel
We will be good this year, how bout that!!
USA First!!!!
Theecolonel
Let's get er done bokes. Keep those OL guys happy and well fed...hahahhah
Theecolonel
CaliforniaCowboy said:

Theecolonel said:

so, now you're saying it wasn't a stupid comment?

all I said was 8-3 was dismal versus expectations.... I think many would agree.
Well, I was saying opinions are like *******s...and some people are too.
CanadianCowboy
See ya in your next reincarnation.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.