Story Poster
Photo by Pat Kinnison - Chief Photographer
Oklahoma State Football

Oklahoma State Football Welcomes Home Richetti Jones but Loses Ryan Simmons

July 20, 2021

STILLWATER – The phone call came on Monday, but I returned it today and I felt like I knew what it was going to be. Former Oklahoma State defensive end Richetti Jones was calling. Like me, Jones is a product of Dallas. Unlike me, Jones was a big-time recruit out of Dallas at Lincoln High School playing for Reginald Samples and helping Lincoln to the State Championship Game. Jones committed to the Cowboys, but in his senior season suffered a devastating hip injury. It was career threatening, but Jones wrote a successful story at Oklahoma State. He loves OSU and now he is coming back.

“Big Rob, I’m coming home,” Jones told me over the phone. “I’m going to be the Director of Player Development for Coach Gundy and football.”

Oklahoma State Athletics
Ryan Simmons as  a Prospect Analyst on staff.

While Richetti Jones is coming home, a very solid contributor in recruiting as a prospect analyst, former Oklahoma State Academic All-Big 12 linebacker Ryan Simmons is heading to Seattle to work in the Seahawks front office. Simmons finished up last week. A four-year letterman from 2012-2015 and a starter inside at linebacker, Simmons became outstanding in spotting talent and helping the recruiting arm of Oklahoma State football. He played his high school football at Steele High School in Cibolo, Texas.

The Seahawks have not announced his hiring officially, but he has headed to the “Emerald City” to start working in the land of coffee and thrown fish. Simmons will be a big success. He has football IQ and a strong work ethic.

Jones will be the same and is a great example to future players about determination and perseverance.

The former high school All-American from Dallas' Lincoln High School was a top 50 recruit in the nation and one of the top recruits that had come to Stillwater in recent memory. Unfortunately, he had severely dislocated his hip during his senior season at Lincoln. Jones battled back from the injury that might have ended a lot of careers. He finished up as a starter at defensive end for the Big 12 champions.

Pat Kinnison - Chief Photographer
Blatnick returning the fumble in 2011 Bedlam.

In the 44-10 Bedlam win at the end of the regular season that clinched the Big 12 title, the Cowboys book ends both made big plays as Jamie Blatnick scooped up a fumble and returned it to the one-yard-line to set up Joseph Randle on one of his touchdown runs.

In the second half, Richetti Jones recovered a fumble by the OU quarterback and returned it five yards for the touchdown to make it 34-3.

Now, both Blatnick and Jones are back on the Oklahoma State campus as Blatnick has become a valuable member of Rob Glass’ strength and conditioning staff. Jones will be assisting players more off the field and will replace former director of player development Joel Tudman, who left to continue his work in the church. Oddly enough, it was Jones that went to Mike Gundy during his time as a player and asked if Sunday practices could be moved so the players could go to Oklahoma City and see Tudman preach.

Twitter (@RichettiJonesBM)
Jones honored as a Teacher of the Year.

Jones most recently has worked as a middle school teacher and counselor at Lancaster, Texas schools. He was in the STEM staff at George Washington Carver Middle School and was recently named the Teacher of the Year there.

This is a home run hire for Gundy and the Oklahoma State player as Jones has experienced many of the emotions that college football players go through in their career. He has experience as an educator and values the educational process and understands the career search process as well.

Jones will start at Oklahoma State on Monday, July 26.

Discussion from...

Oklahoma State Football Welcomes Home Richetti Jones but Loses Ryan Simmons

10,618 Views | 6 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by NorthDFWPoke
TUSKAPOKE
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Welcome home RJ. Go Pokes!!!
CaliforniaCowboy
a guy that had success on the field, and has experienced success with his academic achievements... if that's not a living example of why you practice hard AND study hard, I don't know what would be.

Very cool.

Big Rob? can we call you that too?
Si
The loyal and true are coming home, can't stop, won't stop, living Orange is in our blood!
Zach Lancaster
Staff
Big Rob....I like the sound of that.
1slowpoke
Richetti was one of my favorites! Welcome back to Stillwater.
NorthDFWPoke
Staff
Didn't richetti win summer house rules.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Summer_House_(2006_TV_series)
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.