Story Poster
Photo by Pat Kinnison - Chief Photographer
Oklahoma State Football

Way Too Early for Any Kind of Verdict on Bedlam, Football or Other Sports

July 25, 2021

STILLWATER – That picture is one of my favorites and I’ve used it in stories here recently. Defensive end Jamie Blatnick after scooping up a fumble and running by the Oklahoma bench in the 44-10 Cowboys win in the 2011 Bedlam game in Stillwater. I used it in the spring when Blatnick was hired on Rob Glass’ strength and conditioning staff.

To continue reading, you must be a Pokes Report Premium subscriber.
Discussion from...

Way Too Early for Any Kind of Verdict on Bedlam, Football or Other Sports

4,131 Views | 16 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by osuokc
CaliforniaCowboy
How long do you want to ignore this user?
is it possible to continue Bedlam?

I don't think that is even the question... does anybody want to continue it?

I would have been thrilled being in the North Division of the B12 years ago.

remember the discussions back then about OU and Nebraska not playing their series every year, how could that possibly be? It seemed to pass somewhat uneventfully.... same as bedlam will.

Good riddance.
TUSKAPOKE
OSU should only play them when it involves a national playoff/tournament for a championship and cannot be avoided. We do not need to acknowledge they exist and wave goodbye with our middle finger. They deserve nothing better from us for the 100 years of nastiness they have thrown our way.....m!m
Danny Deck
I'd make one small carve out for wrestling. Other than that nothing.
CaliforniaCowboy
Danny Deck said:

I'd make one small carve out for wrestling. Other than that nothing.
No exceptions. let them wrestle Navy, North Dakota and the other programs.

There is no benefit to OSU to have any carve-outs.
Danny Deck
There is a benefit to wrestling. It's fine if you don't care about the health of wrestling as a whole, but I do.
FrancoAmerican
I think bedlam football and basketball dies. We'll start a new tradition with our former foes Colorado or Nebraska. Depending on whether we land in Big 10 or Pac 12
FrancoAmerican Cowboy
CaliforniaCowboy
Danny Deck said:

There is a benefit to wrestling. It's fine if you don't care about the health of wrestling as a whole, but I do.
I never said I did not care about the health of wrestling. Wrestling will continue just fine if we never wrestle the goons again.

Didn't we just add Missouri?
Si
Sooner wrestlers may be hitting the portal very quickly,
Danny Deck
And that is looking pretty short lived. We continued to wrestle them every year after they left the Big 12. Our position within wrestling means it means something to have us on the schedule. I don't want to see OU looking for a reason to drop.
CaliforniaCowboy
if we ended up in some lame conference where we needed a match like that to keep it going, then I can see that... but the door may be wide open, and the goons just dust in the wind.

This is excerpted from that OSU bloggers site... By Seth Duckworth

Wrestling Makes Oklahoma State a Good Fit for the Big Ten

A case for OSU to the Big Ten.

As most reading this probably already know, I'm the wrestling guy. I've covered Oklahoma State on this site and previously for FloWrestling, and I cover the Big 12 for Intermat (for now). I also write for OWrestle.Com and WrestlingTexas.Com. I'm obviously very invested in that sport and hope for its best situation for Oklahoma State.

I'm of the opinion that the Big Ten would be the best fit and situation for OSU across the board, but throwing out my opinion on other sports, wrestling's best situation would undoubtedly be in the Big Ten Conference, the premier wrestling conference.

... (skipping ahead)

The Rutgers dual was largely driven by the Daton Fix-Nick Suriano match. The biggest rivalry in college wrestling over the next few years is almost certain to be AJ Ferrari and Wisconsin's Braxton Amos. Their matches will create environments at Wisconsin like that one at Rutgers and help them set records.

This is a conference that truly cares about wrestling, and Oklahoma State is one of the elite programs in the sport. If you asked any Big Ten wrestling fan if they want Oklahoma State in the Big Ten, they're probably going to say yes. If you ask any Oklahoma State wrestling fan, they'll likely say the same.
There are so many moving parts to all of this and it's so incredibly far above anything any of us know or have any control over, but there are going to be a lot of schools from the Big 12 vying for a spot in the Big Ten and Oklahoma State's wrestling relevance could/should legitimately play a factor in the conversation.
NJAggie
Bedlam will continue at some level and should.

Non-Revenue it's both schools best draw, and is low cost.

Football again it's low cost and probably on par with any game either can schedule.

Bedlam can and will continue.
CaliforniaCowboy
NJAggie said:

Football again it's low cost and probably on par with any game either can schedule.

I sincerely hope that you are wrong.

Prattvillepoke
Cal I often don't agree with you but on this I absolutely do.
PrattvillePoke
LS1Z28
NJAggie said:

I'm torn on this issue. Part of me wants to never play them again, but part of me wants to play them so that we can beat them. I'm not sure what I would prefer.
Ok_state_fan78
We should not play them in football unless it is in a playoff.
We should play the non-conference games against Texas teams
like baylor, tcu, houston, etc. We should work a deal with Texas A&M to go
to the BIG as soon as uo and texas leave for the SEC.
osuokc
Ok_state_fan78 said:

We should not play them in football unless it is in a playoff.
We should play the non-conference games against Texas teams
like baylor, tcu, houston, etc. We should work a deal with Texas A&M to go
to the BIG as soon as uo and texas leave for the SEC.

I hate OU, I hate our record against OU in football as well. But if we are going to put our best foot forward for another conference and show them our value, dropping the single most watched game in our entire inventory of games may not be the wisest choice. Unfortunately, if they want to add us to their OOC schedule we would be foolish to not take them up on it.

Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.