Story Poster
Photo by USA Today Sports
Oklahoma State Football

You Want a Reason To Feel Good Cowboy Fans? Adam Lunt's Research Has It

July 26, 2021

STILLWATER – As of 2:23 p.m. on Monday, July 26, 2021 there is no conclusion that could be out of question. Like my co-worker at Triple Play Sports Radio, Jordan Woodruff said, “Everybody has a source or sources.” He is right, they do, but he agreed with me that some are better than others. My sources told me last Friday that Oklahoma State had reached out through a third party to the other Power Five conferences and had not received an invitation, but they also had been told that no doors were closed. That is a good thing. The ticket that you hope will eventually come giving Oklahoma State a landing spot in a Power Five conference will be based on two things.

1. How many viewers can you bring for football to a conference?
  2. How good is your football program, how long have you sustained it, and are you committed to keeping it strong?

Interviewing Adam Lunt, an Oklahoma State graduate and huge football fan that used to have a podcast called “Tape Doesn’t Lie”, he hit the nail on the head with even more accuracy.

Related: OSU commits react to OU and Texas to the SEC

“That first category might be numbers one through eight,” Lunt said of the television viewers you bring to the table.

Sarah Phipps-USA TODAY Sports
Lunt found Iowa State at OSU had 2.81-million people watching.

Adam is a talent acquisition manager for a software company. Lunt realized that last week, so on a slow day on Friday (July 23) at work he crunched some numbers, not from a financial standpoint or for a marketing campaign. He crunched television viewers numbers from last football season and found Oklahoma State’s case to stay in the Power Five community and have a good landing spot.

Conferences are looking for schools that draw eyeballs to games, lots of them. That will bring more money in a football television rights package. More dollars as in bringing that school in will sweeten the pot for all the schools splitting up what would be a larger pie with larger pieces.

These numbers come from the 2020 season where more eyeballs were watching on television as game attendance was limited by COVID-19.

School Avg. Viewers per Game Avg. Viewers per game minus games vs. Oklahoma and Texas Bowl Game
Oklahoma State 2,113,000 1,553,857 3,200,000
Iowa State 1,617,500 1,210,000 6,680,000
West Virginia 1,420,571 1,234,857 3,740,000
Kansas State 1,309,875 1,181,286 N/A
Texas Tech 1,229,429 981,000 N/A
TCU 1,241,875 835,286 N/A
Baylor 873,750 720,000 N/A
Kansas 532,500 569,833 N/A
Oklahoma State Athletics
OSU President Dr. Kayse Shrum and Mike Gundy can be happy about these TV numbers.

Those numbers clearly favor Oklahoma State with Iowa State and West Virginia as the other solid options. West Virginia shows up well despite not having strong seasons as of late. Oklahoma State has a long history of winning seasons and bowl games. They have the 15-year streak of winning seasons under Mike Gundy. Add to that the fact that they are the second winningest program, behind Oklahoma, over the past decade in the Big 12 with 58 conference wins and they are No. 10 in the nation with 90 wins.

Oklahoma State officials need to be convincing that they have every intent to keep their football program strong and very entertaining.

Lunt also picked out this list too. The top 20 most watched football games from 2020 from the Big 12 and the Pac-10.

Rank Game Viewers (Millions) Conference
1. OSU vs. OU 4.10 Big 12
2. Texas vs. OSU 4.04 Big 12
3. Oregon vs. USC 3.85 Pac 12
4. Iowa State vs. OU 3.71 Big 12
5. Iowa State vs. Texas 3.57 Big 12
6. USC vs. UCLA 3.24 Pac 12
7. Iowa State vs. OSU 2.81 Big 12
8. OrSt vs. Oregon 2.80 Pac 12
9. WVU vs. Texas 2.75 Big 12
10. Oregon vs. Wash.State 2.73 Pac 12
11. Texas Tech vs. Texas 2.72 Big 12
12. TCU vs. Texas 2.70 Big 12
13. KSU vs. OU 2.68 Big 12
14. KSU vs. TCU 2.36 Big 12
15. AzSt vs. USC 2.33 Pac 12
16. Arizona vs. USC 2.21 Pac 12
17. Texas Tech vs. OSU 2.12 Big 12
18. OU vs. Texas Tech 2.12 Big 12
19. OU vs. TCU  2.03 Big 12
20. Utah vs. Washington 2.00 Pac 12

In the end the Big 12 had 43 games last season and they had 13 in the top 20 games with these two conferences. The Pac-12 started late and had just 30 games and seven in the top 20. Pretty good for a conference of flyover states with a lot less population. 

The numbers over all make Oklahoma State and Cowboys football very attractive in this environment of all of a sudden realignment. 

Discussion from...

You Want a Reason To Feel Good Cowboy Fans? Adam Lunt's Research Has It

9,502 Views | 10 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by Danny Deck
Guitar54
How long do you want to ignore this user?
OU vs Texas is not on that list?
Orangeheart72
I assume the second game is a typo and it's OU vs Texas? Or, the OU vs Texas timeframe was really offset by some competition.

Joe Khatib
Adam is a good guy and proud poke who provides really good stuff.
NorthDFWPoke
Staff
I heard RA interview Lunt. I think he dropped the red river poop shoot to not skew the numbers.
NorthDFWPoke
Staff
I wonder how many households per 1000 or whatever they measure tune into college football in the pac. If you go west do our numbers infect them or pac numbers infect us
NJAggie
Guitar54 said:

OU vs Texas is not on that list?
Right, because the list is showing the 8 remaining schools TV results against the PAC's. OU/UT are irrelevant to the discussion.
NJAggie
NorthDFWPoke said:

I wonder how many households per 1000 or whatever they measure tune into college football in the pac. If you go west do our numbers infect them or pac numbers infect us
Our numbers will help them. I don't think we'll create the same type of numbers there, but we'll deliver better audiences to the package and help raise the price.

Only 3 states outside the SEC footprint had around half the sets watching college football, they were Oklahoma, West Virginia, and Iowa. Yes we're small states, but with intense college football viewers so it packs more punch than the markets do in other things.

The other thing those numbers show is that OSU draws viewers. Our games tend to be exciting and have big plays, it gets fans to watch.
APL817
OU Texas had 4.8m viewers, and is the #1 game in terms of TV viewership. I left it out because it isn't relevant towards the discussion. But was an oversight on my part not to include a disclaimer that it was left out.
PistolD
If the Big Twelve's ratings were so good then why is ESPN so hell bent to destroy the conference? Is it because most of those eyes were on Fox broadcasts?
Danny Deck
I don't think the point is the Big 12 ratings were great. It's that OSU's ratings are as good as it gets for a non-blue blood.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.