Story Poster
Photo by Tim Heitman-USA TODAY Sports
Oklahoma State Wrestling

Cowboy Wrestling to Face Iowa in Historic Bout at the Ballpark

October 12, 2021

STILLWATER – College wrestling's most storied programs, Oklahoma State and Iowa, are set to square off in a special neutral-site dual at Globe Life Field in Arlington, Texas at 6:30 p.m. CT on Feb. 12, it was announced today.

The Bout at the Ballpark is the first event of its kind. It marks the first college wrestling dual staged at a Major League Baseball stadium in Texas. In addition to the OSU-Iowa dual, the senior national teams from the United States and Iran will compete simultaneously in an exhibition as part of the event. Bouts from the two competitions will alternate throughout the event. This is the first time a senior-level international meet and an NCAA meet will operate in this format.

Oklahoma State vs. Iowa is the most decorated rivalry in college sports. The Cowboys' 34 NCAA team championships represents the NCAA record for most titles in one sport for any school and the Hawkeyes' 24 ties for third.

"The Oklahoma State-Iowa series is one of the best things the sport of wrestling has to offer," OSU head coach and six-time freestyle world champion John Smith said. "The history of both programs speaks for itself, and it's always matched by the intensity on the mat. I'm excited to show this rivalry to a new part of the country and help grow our sport in the process. The chance to wrestle at a first-class facility like Globe Life Field is a great opportunity for our program and our fans. We can't wait to get to Arlington and are looking forward to wrestling in what will be a great, one-of-a kind atmosphere."

Globe Life Field is the sparkling new home of Major League Baseball's Texas Rangers. Opened in 2020, it hosted the National League Championship Series and the World Series that same year.

"OSU Cowboy Wrestling is the most successful program in collegiate sports," OSU Athletic Director Chad Weiberg said. "We are excited to bring our program to Globe Life Field and the DFW metroplex. The sport of wrestling is growing in the state of Texas and this is a great opportunity for us to showcase our passionate fanbase and historic brand as part of this unique event."

Tickets are available for purchase beginning on Thursday, Oct. 14, by visiting texasrangers.com/wrestling. The event will be streamed live by FloSports.

Discussion from...

Cowboy Wrestling to Face Iowa in Historic Bout at the Ballpark

1,132 Views | 3 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by 1slowpoke
CaliforniaCowboy
How long do you want to ignore this user?
wow - that's not the old Rangers park I use to watch them play at in the 80's when I lived there....

nice... looks like it's domed with climate control too...
Osufenceman
This is the 2nd replacement for Arlington Stadium.
1slowpoke
This is a great idea and will probably be packed. You can already buy tickets but seems no close to the mat tickets. It might be better to be higher up for this event unless they have temporary seats close to the mat. Unfortunately OSU is playing Men's BB on same day at 1:00 pm.

This is where the Big 12 Baseball Tournament will be this year. I plan on going this year. It is multiple purpose arena.

Wrestling starts at 6:30 pm in Arlington so I bought two tickets in club level. They will have floor seating but they are $250 each. I guess I will skip out of WV game to go to wrestling.
James W Carpenter
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.