Story Poster
Photo by Steven Branscombe-USA TODAY Sports
Oklahoma State Football

It Was Two Plays That Changed the Game and Then Decided It

October 23, 2021

This game was even in so many ways. Similar first down numbers, total yardage and time of possession across the board. It really was two plays that swayed the outcome in Iowa State’s favor.

Before looking at the final drive and the final spot on 4th down, let’s flashback to the third quarter.

Oklahoma State is inside the Iowa State 20 yard-line tied at 14. Facing a third and five, Jaylen Warren picks up four. 4th and 1 upcoming.

That leaves the coaches with a decision.

To continue reading, you must be a Pokes Report Premium subscriber.
Discussion from...

It Was Two Plays That Changed the Game and Then Decided It

3,219 Views | 10 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by LL football 73
Joe Khatib
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Ugh, You hate to lose the special teams battle, but Iowa State made their FG attempt and we missed two field goal attempts.
tulsasig
You can chalk this one up to our gutless coach who won't give his team the opportunity to drive for the winning touchdown on 4th and a foot. The team played hard, but our coach doesn't trust them to go for the win. What a loser!
Ok_state_fan78
It was obvious on replay that he was laying on our guy and made the first down.
I hope our Administration is all over the Big 12 over that. Just Terrible! Does the Big 12 just want Iowa St. to win for some unknown reason? That is what it looked like. There were several bad calls down the stretch after the bad call on the unsportsman like conduct on ISU. It looked like they made three or four make up calls.

Joe Khatib
tulsasig said:

You can chalk this one up to our gutless coach who won't give his team the opportunity to drive for the winning touchdown on 4th and a foot. The team played hard, but our coach doesn't trust them to go for the win. What a loser!
SMH
Ostateman
Gundy, like the most famous, Dallas Cowboy's Hall Of Fame coach, Tom Landry, always takes the points. Tom Landry was always taking the FG as opposed to "going for it on fourth down".
In fact, Gundy's going after the FG instead of "going for it" won us the game just last week in Austin.
Unfortunately, kickers aren't a sure thing, but our kicker's sudden inconsistency cost us the game.
I know there are rules, but do we really want to follow them now?
NJAggie
Yeah I'm not unhappy we went for the FG, I'm unhappy we missed them. Make those two and we win again in Ames.
CaliforniaCowboy
I'm chalking this one up to a freaking clueless coaching staff who know we can't pass for the life of them, and then calls a pass on the most important play of the game, when we supposedly have a great RB, and supposedly a QB that can run (which is why he's supposed to be in there), and the goofs decide to have Sanders try a pass to the smallest guy on the whole team.... Doh!!

bone headed. we don't have a better must have short yardage play than that?

Ryan Breeden
The problem was how good Iowa State's front 7 was playing, especially in the second half. OSU only had 20 rushing yards on 14 attempts after halftime so I don't think they were comfortable running it in that situation. I think going to Presley was the right call, but I would've tried to throw something past the sticks instead of trying to fight to get there. But hindsight is 20/20.
Swcu21
I support a FG avoidance strategy @ ISU permanently. Hard to belive they wouldn't have overturned that call if OU/Texas had been the team with a no loss record on the line. Maybe I'm jaded but seen it too many times.

As long as we keep trying to not turn the ball over in the 3rd quarter by running it every play... we will lose to decent teams. Where was a sprinkle of that 4th qtr short passing game in the 3rd?
LL football 73
Kicker and punter named Gilbert at Marlow who could solve punting and kicking problems for OSU. Just need to offer him a scholarship. He is excellent

Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.