Story Poster
Photo by Michael C. Johnson-USA TODAY Sports
Oklahoma State Football

OSU Defense Dominates, Offense Struggles To Cash In Against Tech

November 20, 2021

Oklahoma State just punched its ticket to the Big 12 championship game.

It was a dominant defensive performance complimented by an inopportune offense that ultimately got the job done in Lubbock, and with Bedlam looming next weekend, OSU is guaranteed a trip to Arlington no matter the outcome.

Just when the Cowboy defense looks like it can’t get any better, it does just that. OSU shutout a Texas Tech team that scored 41 against Iowa State last weekend. It’s the first shutout of an FBS opponent since 1997 against Fresno State.

It was a strange night in Lubbock. Especially for the Cowboy offense.

It wasn’t that they couldn’t move the ball. Actually quite the opposite. OSU outgained TTU 427-108 in total yards. But the 427 yards only equaled 23 points. That was because of a number of things.

First things first: injuries. Danny Godlevske didn’t suit up and Josh Sills didn’t start. He only came in after Tyrese Williams limped off in the first quarter. Brennan Presley didn’t play an offensive snap because of a nagging injury, and Jaylen Warren was very limited after his injury last week against TCU.

From there it was a lot of bad luck. Early in the 2nd quarter Spencer Sanders overthrew an open John Paul Richardson for what might’ve been a touchdown. The next play Jaden Bray was wide open in the endzone on a trick play, but Richardson’s pass fell incomplete after Bray’s shoe slipped off mid-route. Tay Martin dropped a touchdown on 3rd and goal from the 1 during the 3rd quarter. Warren got tripped up on what could’ve been a long touchdown on the first drive.

“Red zone killed us today,” offensive coordinator Kasey Dunn said.

23 points could have easily been 38, but that doesn’t matter.

The defense stole the show. Per usual.

Wow I never thought I’d type something like that a few years ago.

Oklahoma State’s defense walked into Lubbock and held TTU to 0 points at home for the first time in 34 years. Freshman quarterback Donovan Smith looked lost and confused. Smith was sacked 4 times and pressured plenty more than that.

“We’re a veteran group that’s worked our asses off from the very beginning ever since Knowles got here,” Brendon Evers said on the Cowboy Radio Network. “It’s all Knowles, man. All credit to Knowles.”

Smith threw for 322 yards and 3 TD’s last weekend against Iowa State. That didn’t happen tonight. Not even close.

9-28 (32%), 83 yards, 0 TD.

“We wanna get him scared, wanna get him shaking,” Devin Harper said on Cowboy Radio Network. “That’s what we did.”

OSU’s starting secondary hasn’t allowed a passing touchdown in 4 games. The best offense the Red Raiders had same on the 3 pass interference penalties against Jarrick Bernard-Converse.

“I don’t want to look at stats,” defensive coordinator Jim Knowles said.

Texas Tech fans got a little bit too involved in the second half. Cans were thrown onto the field during the 3rd quarter, resulting in a warning from the officiating crew. It happened again in the 4th, and it resulted in a 15-yard penalty on the Red Raiders.

“I think one was a bottle of whiskey,” Mike Gundy said. “That’s definitely worth 15 yards.”

Now all attention turns to Bedlam. The Sooners come to Stillwater next Saturday night for a 6:30 primetime kick on ABC. College Gameday is a good possibility.

And what’s at stake in that game? OSU needs to win to keep its playoff hopes alive. Beyond that, it’s a chance to essentially “pick your opponent” for the conference championship game. If OSU beats OU, they play Baylor in the title game. If OU wins, it’s a Bedlam rematch.

“We’re not trying to make it, we’re trying to win it,” Brock Martin said on the Cowboy Radio Network after the game.

“It’s the goal we’ve been looking to get since I’ve been here. We’re finally there,” Harper said.

Discussion from...

OSU Defense Dominates, Offense Struggles To Cash In Against Tech

5,105 Views | 20 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by Ryan Breeden
CanadianCowboy
How long do you want to ignore this user?
"We're not trying to make it, we're trying to win it," Brock Martin said...

"Do or do not, there is no try," said Yoda (according to the thing hanging on my wall)

I have been a fan of Brock Martin and Malcolm Rodriguez ever since their recruitment, and I love the brotherhood of the Cowboy Defense. Let's go get it, Pokes!
CanadianCowboy
Here's another quote I ran across on the 247 board, from Cody Nagel...... (apologies if this hurts anyone's feelings about quoting from another board, but.... it was a badass quote that belongs on this board. I attributed properly, I think)

Quote:
It is no secret that Bedlam has been an issue for Oklahoma State in the past. The Pokes have lost 16 of the last 18 games in the series. That does not appear to concern the Cowboys right now.

"I expect to whoop their ass, honestly," Oklahoma State senior wide receiver Tay Martin said postgame.

Priceless. Go make it happen, Cowboys!
Ryan Breeden
Love the confidence. These guys are dialed in.
slguthrie581
Compare that to Matt Campbell's statement that winning the Big 12 was not his goal.
Joe Khatib
That is what happens when you have to do some musical,chairs along the offensive line due to injiries. Hopefully everyone is ready to go for Bedlam.
NJAggie
Also I'll agree with the FOX broadcast crew. Some of it was Gundy believed he could run them into the ground so chose not to show anything he might need against OU.

Also it played into getting the shutout. Something that you probably don't get if we get up over 30.

I just want to see this D shut down the opponent next Saturday and lets get a rematch with BU.

That way ou can start making their plans for San Antonio on the bus trip home.
Ryan Breeden
I think everyone will be good to go. Being cautious with Presley and Warren and Godlevske yesterday. They know what's waiting next week and that's when they need everyone to be 100%. And this offense is completely different with Brennan Presley on the field.
Ryan Breeden
The good news is that elite defense almost always shows up. An elite offense can have an off night, an elite defense hardly ever has that happen. We saw that in the Rudolph era. Offense sometimes fell flat and couldn't keep up.
NJAggie
Ryan Breeden said:

The good news is that elite defense almost always shows up. An elite offense can have an off night, an elite defense hardly ever has that happen. We saw that in the Rudolph era. Offense sometimes fell flat and couldn't keep up.
Totally agree with the personnel decisions. It was a great time to get more people involved and still get the job done.
Ryan Breeden
John Paul Richardson looked VERY good. Crisp route-running and good in space. Marshall was high on him from the beginning and got me to see what he saw. And I've been very intrigued by how they're using Blaine Green. I might do a write-up on it sometime soon, but it's really smart what they're doing with him.
pokeacola
I hate this, uh oh, it's "OU feeling." The dread, the near 60 years of Cowboy fandom frustration with our losses to the soons. I know this team is different with their Defensive Potency but after watching the Sooner defense yesterday, I'm getting that same sense of impending doom. Please someone shower my with reasons to believe.
CaliforniaCowboy
First, I'll say.... this Bedlam it doesn't really matter because we play for the conf championship either way.

I don't know how good this OSU team visa a vie the goons, but I don't think there is any way they can beat us twice in a row. I do feel pretty good about that.

I'm actually more concerned about us beating them twice, than I am about beating them on Saturday.

We need to win the conference championship.

I understand that if we win on Sat, there is a chance we could play Baylor. Play Ou then Bayor for the Conf Champ, or play the goons twice ---- perhaps six of one, half dozen of the other. Baylor is better than the goons.

Since you mentioned defense, I'll give you this .... FWIW

Sacks against OSU - 8
Sacks by OU - 16

Sacks against OU - 24
Sacks by OSU - 32

Enjoy looking through these conference team and individual stats... there simply are not many categories that the goons have the top results....
https://big12sports.com/stats.aspx?path=football&year=2021&conf=true

Conversely - like you, I too am annually waiting for the other shoe to drop....

Spencer Sanders has been serviceable when he plays within the systems and does not try to improvise. If he can just manage the game, and not feel like it's up to him to win it.... then our chances are excellent.

I said it... excellent.

EDIT: now I'm wondering what this team has in common with past OSU teams that won Bedlam... or even what this goon team doesn't have that the past had....

NJAggie
ISU's offense was not that good. It had a high reliance on crossing patterns to the TE's. OU didn't shut them down, just kept them about where they usually finished up. OU's issues are the run and the vertical passing game. Get ready for a lesser version of Rashaun is still open Saturday.
SiliconPrairie
CanadianCowboy said:

Here's another quote I ran across on the 247 board, from Cody Nagel...... (apologies if this hurts anyone's feelings about quoting from another board, but.... it was a badass quote that belongs on this board. I attributed properly, I think)

Quote:
It is no secret that Bedlam has been an issue for Oklahoma State in the past. The Pokes have lost 16 of the last 18 games in the series. That does not appear to concern the Cowboys right now.

"I expect to whoop their ass, honestly," Oklahoma State senior wide receiver Tay Martin said postgame.

Priceless. Go make it happen, Cowboys!
Thanks for posting that. It explains a vague comment by Dean Blevins on the Sports Blitz last night. John Holcomb gave the report on the OSU-Tech game and showed a video clip of Tay Martin in the post-game press conference, but did not include the statement quoted above. When the camera cut back to Dean, he said something like "well, Tay said something else, but you didn't show it."
SiliconPrairie
CaliforniaCowboy said:

I understand that if we win on Sat, there is a chance we could play Baylor. Play Ou then Bayor for the Conf Champ, or play the goons twice ---- perhaps six of one, half dozen of the other. Baylor is better than the goons.
Baylor's game starts at 11:00 am Saturday, so we will know well before the start of Bedlam. If Baylor beats Texas Tech and we win Bedlam, then Baylor will be in the CCG.
CaliforniaCowboy
SiliconPrairie said:

CaliforniaCowboy said:

Baylor's game starts at 11:00 am Saturday, so we will know well before the start of Bedlam. If Baylor beats Texas Tech and we win Bedlam, then Baylor will be in the CCG.
yes... and if we don't beat OU then Baylor will not be in the CCG.

I'm hoping wie win Bedlam, and then take our chances with da Bears
NJAggie
CaliforniaCowboy said:

SiliconPrairie said:

CaliforniaCowboy said:

yes... and if we don't beat OU then Baylor will not be in the CCG.

I'm hoping wie win Bedlam, and then take our chances with da Bears
I agree I'd rather switch up opponents, but hey if we have to beat the dirt burglars twice in one year this might be our best shot.
Ryan Breeden
Beat OU twice in a year and then not play them again for 20 years haha. Would be a good send-off to the SEC.
pokeacola
I for one will be glad when the goons jettison themselves from the conference. This end of season anxiety and continual frustration and heartbreak is so hard to endure. It would be amazing if we could be rid of them AND beat them in the same year. I know they are contractually obligated to continue in the conference for a couple of years but maybe some deep pocketed donor can come up with the dough to send them and their schooner down the road.
Ryan Breeden
From everything I've seen and heard I'd say it's more likely than not that OU and Texas both head off to the SEC after this season. You've got a few things: HUGE money from Texas' network that they could use to buyout both teams, and donors that would be willing to help. I think they've both basically got one foot out the door. Texas clearly needs to change something up but I'm not sure this ones going to work out in their competitive favor haha. But hey, at least they'll get away from Kansas, right?
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.