Story Poster
Photo by Robert Allen - Pokes Report
Oklahoma State Football

Knowles Makes Cut List and is One of 15 Semifinalist for Broyles Award

STILLWATER – Oklahoma State defensive coordinator Jim Knowles has been praised throughout the season by Cowboys head coach Mike Gundy, by his players, by the media, and by OSU fans, many of which questioned his hiring after his first season or two on board the Cowboys staff.

Pokes Report
Jim Knowles

Knowles defense has been the primary ingredient to a 10-1 season so far that has the Pokes in the Big 12 Championship Game regardless of the outcome of Bedlam this Saturday. The Cowboys are playing for high stakes as they are still in a strong position to make the College Football Playoff and should be ranked no lower than seventh when the latest rankings are released on Tuesday night.

Knowles defense is No. 3 in Division I in totla defense allowing an average of 267.8-yards a game. They are second in scoring defense allowing an average of 14.9 points a game. Opposing teams are rushing for an average of just 85.8-yards a game. The Cowboys are tops among Division I defenses in both team sacks and third down conversion defense. 

Oklahoma State is fresh off a shutout of Texas Tech in a 23-0 win. That was the first time the Red Raiders had been shut out home since Arkansas back in 1987 in a Southwest Conference game.

OOSU starting safety Tanner McCalister said last week if Knowles doesn’t win the Broyles Award then they should quit giving it.

The 15 semi-finalists are:

Arkansas – Cody Kennedy, Offensive Line

Baylor University – Jeff Grimes, Offensive Coordinator / TEs

Cincinnati – Mike Denbrock, Offensive Coordinator / TEs

Houston – Doug Belk, Assoc. Head Coach / Defensive Coordinator / Safeties

Ohio State University – Kevin Wilson, Offensive Coordinator

Oklahoma State – Jim Knowles, Defensive Coordinator

Ole Miss – Jeff Lebby, Offensive Coordinator / QBs

Pittsburgh – Mark Whipple, Offensive Coordinator / QBs

Texas A&M – Mike Elko, Defensive Coordinator / Safeties

University of Georgia – Dan Lanning, Fain & Billy Slaughter Defensive Coordinator / OLBs

University of Iowa – Phil Parker, Defensive Coordinator / Def. Backs

University of Michigan – Josh Gattis, Offensive Coordinator / WRs

UTSA – Jess Loepp, Co-Defensive Coordinator

Wake Forest – Warren Ruggiero, Offensive Coordinator / QBs

A selection committee of distinguished former head coaches, broadcasters and a committee representing the FWAA narrowed the list of nominees to 15 semi-finalists. Five finalists will be selected from the list of semi-finalists then an overall winner.

Discussion from...

Knowles Makes Cut List and is One of 15 Semifinalist for Broyles Award

3,941 Views | 19 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by GumbyFromPokeyLand
Zach Lancaster
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Staff
With what he's done this season, especially over the past four weeks, I really don't see a way they keep him off the finalist list.
GumbyFromPokeyLand
Zach Lancaster said:

With what he's done this season, especially over the past four weeks, I really don't see a way they keep him off the finalist list.

Agree. But as far as winning, keep your eye out on tOSUs OC, Kevin Wilson. Of course that would be a complete joke. Wilson doesn't any more oversee the offense than the man in the moon. Who are they kidding? Ryan Day is the OC just like he was the OC after hiring Mike Yurcich to be the OC. Yurcich left at the first opportunity, to Texas for gods sake, instead of playing along with Day's sham of job titles and duties.

Hopefully Knowles will be rewarded with the honor he deserves. Go Pokes.
CaliforniaCowboy
Was Yurchich ever OC at tOSU.... wasn't Wilson the OC at that time?

https://247sports.com/college/ohio-state/LongFormArticle/Ohio-State-Buckeyes-football-full-coaching-staff-2019-Ryan-Day-Jeff-Hafley-Greg-Mattison-Al-Washington-Mike-Yurcich-Matt-Barnes-129310379/#129310379_9

GumbyFromPokeyLand
Yurcich was hired as the OC, but the minute he stepped on campus was named the QB coach.
Consider:
Why would a Top-15 OC voluntarily leave to take a position coach job having previously turned down an OC gig in the SEC and multiple G5 HC opportunities?
Why would Yurcich immediately leave a future OC opportunity at tOSU, which is located near his roots in PA, just to go back to a struggling and dysfunctional program in the B12?

Answer: he was promised the OC gig and commensurate $$$ at tOSU but got there to find out the HC was going to run the offense for the foreseeable future and that he would be relegated to a highly paid ($1mm) position coach with no play calling duties or final game plan responsibilities.
CaliforniaCowboy
I dunno .... is there any reports about that? I never heard that theory before, sounds out of context.

From what I can determine, Wilson was hired as the OC at tOSU in 2017 and was still the OC at tOSU when Yurcich was hired as passing game coordinator, and Wilson is still the OC at tOSU.

regardless, I think you were saying that Day called the plays when Yurcich was OC, and so to look at Wilson for this coaching honor... even though Yurcich was never OC, and Wilson has always been the OC, so Day never called the plays over Yurcich.

I don't personally care about Day or Yurcich, or Wilson, I'm just trying keep things factual.

Did Day call the plays when Yurcich was OC or not?

GumbyFromPokeyLand
CaliforniaCowboy said:

I dunno .... is there any reports about that? I never heard that theory before, sounds out of context.

From what I can determine, Wilson was hired as the OC at tOSU in 2017 and was still the OC at tOSU when Yurcich was hired as passing game coordinator, and Wilson is still the OC at tOSU.

regardless, I think you were saying that Day called the plays when Yurcich was OC, and so to look at Wilson for this coaching honor... even though Yurcich was never OC, and Wilson has always been the OC, so Day never called the plays over Yurcich.

I don't personally care about Day or Yurcich, or Wilson, I'm just trying keep things factual.

No way you're gonna get the real story out of the press, much less out of the school.
CaliforniaCowboy
GumbyFromPokeyLand said:

CaliforniaCowboy said:

No way you're gonna get the real story out of the press, much less out of the school.

Figures you would not answer the question. The answer is clearly, NO, Day did not call plays over his OC Yurcich. BECAUSE YURCICH WAS NEVER OC AT tOSU. It never happened. Wilson was the OC.

why can't you just say you're sorry and move on? Everybody types bogus stuff once in a while.

GumbyFromPokeyLand
Ryan Day calls the plays at tOSU, period.
Yurcich accepted the job with the understanding he was (1) going to be, at minimum, the co-OC and (2) the play caller, period.
Despite the title, Yurcich was never given any OC duties and was confined to working with the QBs and reported up to the TEs coach and "co-OC" Kevin Wilson.
Yurcich left because he was not allowed to perform the duties he believed he was hired to do.
Back to the original point, Ryan Day is the real OC, not Kevin Wilson.

That's the real story. I know you're gonna respond with some sort of argumentative take requesting documentation of what I've said. The real story does not exist (that I'm aware of) on the internet. So sorry, not going to engage further with you. Feel free to preach to yourself.
CaliforniaCowboy
I don't know about any "stories", and don't really care about what is discussed on the OSU gossip boards, that stuff should stay on those boards

I'm only asking about what YOU SAID, on this board.

YOU SAID, that Day called the plays over the head of his OC Yurcich - which is simply an impossible statement.

Yurcich HAS NEVER BEEN the OC at tOSU on the sideline for any game. Not ever.

(and I am not arguing with you, I am asking you to clarify your statement - which you refuse to do)

GumbyFromPokeyLand
" Multiple sources have confirmed to Lettermen Row that Mike Yurcich is expected to be announced as a new hire at Texas this week, leaving the Buckeyes after one season working with the quarterbacks and serving as a co-offensive coordinator. "
CaliforniaCowboy
I only ask for clarification because you were bagging on Wilson possibly winning the award, and threw in the incorrect parallel to Yurcich....

so I'm trying to understand if that non-factual statement about Yurcich being over-ruled as OC, taints the overall claim that Wilson isn't deserving.

If one part is not true, does that make the whole allegation not true? That is the source of my asking for clarification on your Yurcich claim. I'm still asking you to clarify your statement.

Since we've now established that Day never called plays over the head of Yurcich, your point is that Wilson is not deserving because he's been the OC at tOSU for 5 years (even before Day) and Wilson was successful even before Day...

Ohio State announced January 10, 2017 that Wilson had been hired as the offensive coordinator and tight ends coach under head coach Urban Meyer. In the 2017 season, Wilson assisted the Buckeyes to a 12-2 season which included a Big Ten Championship victory over Wisconsin
CaliforniaCowboy
GumbyFromPokeyLand said:

" Multiple sources have confirmed to Lettermen Row that Mike Yurcich is expected to be announced as a new hire at Texas this week, leaving the Buckeyes after one season working with the quarterbacks and serving as a co-offensive coordinator. "
so, the tOSU homer-blogger (like the Pistol's Firing guys), make an "editorial" statement that is contradictory to said job descriptions... then ... what?

I guess now you're saying that Day hired TWO co-offensive coordinators so that he could call plays over both of their $2 Million dollar collective heads... is that the "story" now.... it was co-co-co-Offensive Coordinators?

and that's why Yurcich left tOSU, which was never under discussion, and why Wilson is not "qualified" for the award... because he was co-co-co offensive coordinator, with a OC title and never got to call plays for 5 years now?

is that it?

Urban Meyer hired him, but he's not any good?

Is it that you don't like Day or tOSU, and it has nothing to do with Wilson, and zero to do with Yurcich? That I understand.

GumbyFromPokeyLand
I guess Kevin Wilson, er, uh, Ryan Day didn't have a very good day calling plays. That's too bad.
CaliforniaCowboy
GumbyFromPokeyLand said:

I guess Kevin Wilson, er, uh, Ryan Day didn't have a very good day calling plays. That's too bad.
what in the hell is wrong with you?

did he over rule plays of OC Yurcich or not? that's what you said. did he?
GumbyFromPokeyLand
CaliforniaCowboy said:

GumbyFromPokeyLand said:

what in the hell is wrong with you?

did he over rule plays of OC Yurcich or not? that's what you said. did he?

Yurcich never called plays.
Wilson never called plays.
Day calls the plays.

It helps if you pay attention.
Zach Lancaster
Staff
Here y'all, start talking about this lol https://pokesreport.com/s/1922/how-worried-should-oklahoma-state-be-on-jim-knowles
CaliforniaCowboy
you just can't fess up that your vile spilled over into your post and resulted in non-factual gossip spewing out.

keep that stuff on the gossip boards.
CaliforniaCowboy
Zach Lancaster said:

Here y'all, start talking about this lol https://pokesreport.com/s/1922/how-worried-should-oklahoma-state-be-on-jim-knowles

oh great, now Zach is pumping rumors ... SMH
GumbyFromPokeyLand
Good on the committee for including Knowles and eliminating Wilson from the finalists.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.