Story Poster
Photo by Robert Allen - Pokes Report
Oklahoma State Football

Part Two: Some of the Top College DC Candidates as Mike Gundy Goes Outside to Hire

January 15, 2022

STILLWATER – On Friday (Jan. 14) Oklahoma State head coach Mike Gundy gave out a big clue on the future defensive coordinator in the Cowboys program to take the place of the departed Jim Knowles.

To continue reading, you must be a Pokes Report Premium subscriber.
Discussion from...

Part Two: Some of the Top College DC Candidates as Mike Gundy Goes Outside to Hire

6,135 Views | 25 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by Polston31
Polston31
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Didn't like 3-4 of these guys sign extensions at their current schools?
Polston31
Also someone already hired the Air Force guy right??
CanadianCowboy
Honestly, I was pulling for Joe Bob Clements to get the nod but I understand Gundy's reasoning on his decision and look forward to whomever accepts the O-State offer. The candidates listed in this story seem to be pretty salty...I think we'd have success in the transition with any of them. My next hope is that the rest of the defensive staff stays to help in the transition and keep on coaching up the defense. They are proven winners.
Polston31
Who would you pick from that list?
CanadianCowboy
Excellent question, and was exactly the question in my head since reading RA's story. SImply based on RA's article, I am torn between Gibson (for the 3-3 & variations, and the aggressive style his defenses present) and Reeves (from RA's assessment of his defenses being aggressive and disciplined). However, Doug Belk continues to be an intriguing candidate to me. He caught my attention when he was listed as an early prospect immediately after Knowles announced his departure. I know that he got his contract salary doubled to keep him in place, though....up to $1MM I believe. Plus with UH alum Tillman Fertitta being UH's version of TBP, it may be impossible to win a bidding war for him.
Polston31
I agree especially with reeves. Aggressive and disciplined sounds like a good fit plus he seems to do more with less like when we hired knowles.
CaliforniaCowboy
I'm with you.... Clements is the only logical choice.

I wonder how much OC experience that Gundy had when he was hired for his first OC job..... just curious. Wasn't he just a position coach when Coach Jones promoted him from within?

Sounds like a double standard to me. Gundy was forced to promote Dunn (under duress), perhaps Clements should have been fielding offers and make his intent public.

with that said.... if not Clements, the Jack Curtis from Liberty would be my choice, but only if he came to the interview wearing and OAN shirt... or used the OAN secret handshake or something.

Robert Allen
Staff
Yes, I did not catch Rudzinski going from Air Force to Virginia. I really had him in there because like I had written, it would be entertaining to hear Mike Gundy call AFA HC Troy Calhoun and ask permission to speak to him. Calhoun hates Gundy and OSU for cancelling that non conference series. Gundy, like many coaches, believes playing an academy puts your defensive line in a tough position because of all the cut blocking they do.
Robert Allen
Staff
I love Clements and I think he can do the job, but with the turnover I believe Gundy believes he needs an experienced play caller and game tactician in the position. That is a head coach decision. He hasn't missed on many in the coaching area.
Polston31
Smart call to get an experienced guy. Try to soften the drop off next year with new faces taking over starting positions. If we land what he is looking for I expect we will still be very solid on defense next year. Which will go hand in hand with what I bet will be a much improved offense. Really seems like dunn and sanders are rolling now
Orangeheart72
Robert, if you're still answering questions on this thread, could OSU possibly turn Jernigan back on his decision with Antwine's departure? Or has that been locked down by some rule (or ship has sailed).
donnieh
So are this afternoons rumors that JBC has been hired as the new D-line coach at Ohio State true?
PokeRob
Well should have given Joe Bob the job and made Koy lb coach. Now you have a dumpster fire. Sure glad he is waiting to name a coach no one else is.
Orangeheart72
We're doubled up with Richmond, an OSU guy, at DL. Perhaps we get a DC and a linebacker coach who he knows if this is true. Or maybe we get to hire another OSU guy for LB's and recruiting.
Legally-Lit
He needs to make a damn hire. How do you expect to lure someone out of the portal like Wingo or Player when you don't even have a DC? Gundy always worried about the what ifs. This NFL cycle concern could put us in a very bad position going forward. Make the hire.
Robert Allen
Staff
Joe Bob Clements rumors are not true and you guys need to figure out sites you can trust and sites you can't. This is a p-ant Twitter site that got little right in their post.
CowboyKip
RA - thanks for posting !!
Robert Allen
Staff
No problem. It was sent to me yesterday and I checked it out and did what I typically do, nothing for a dumb rumor. Then got asked about it multiple times on radio and it was still percolating this afternoon, so i just decided to post a story to clear it up.
CaliforniaCowboy
Robert Allen said:

Joe Bob Clements rumors are not true and you guys need to figure out sites you can trust and sites you can't. This is a p-ant Twitter site that got little right in their post.
I think we just need to track down and brutally berate whoever posted it on this site.... that sounds like a better solution to stopping this kind of nonsense.... no doubt carried over here from one of the OSU rumor mill sites

Legally-Lit
Why have we not added a single player from the portal yet? The rest of the top of the conference is getting better on paper. We seem to be losing the steam we built up this season quickly.
Robert Allen
Staff
It was an Ohio State Twitter site (FQ Ohio State) and people just need to go back to the old saying that you can't believe everything you read especially on social media.
CaliforniaCowboy
Robert Allen said:

It was an Ohio State Twitter site (FQ Ohio State) and people just need to go back to the old saying that you can't believe everything you read especially on social media.
except.... he posted correctly about the grad assistants, AND everybody (on this site) was mostly waiting to hear something to the contrary, and after 2 days there was no rebuttal, until you finally chimed in saying... "oh, I read this and dismissed it in my head, but failed to mention it to my paid subscribers"....

thanks Robert..... glad you're a genius and keep us up to date.

it is so pleasant to get berated by the guy we count on to keep us informed..... BRILLIANT!!
Robert Allen
Staff
He was 50 percent right on the young coaches. Koy McFarland took a job at Ohio State and Michael Hunter stayed at Oklahoma State. Brent Zdebski, who they reported was being pursued did take a job. in other words, they weren't very correct.
CaliforniaCowboy
Robert Allen said:

He was 50 percent right on the young coaches. Koy McFarland took a job at Ohio State and Michael Hunter stayed at Oklahoma State. Brent Zdebski, who they reported was being pursued did take a job. in other words, they weren't very correct.
don't want to argue with you... but 50/50 from a blogger (75% if you don't include Clements, which was not listed above) seems pretty darn reliable

thanks for what you do for us.
Polston31
Yikes
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.