Story Poster
Photo by Pat Kinnison - Chief Photographer
Oklahoma State Football

Report: Shane Illingworth Has Entered the Transfer Portal

January 24, 2022

STILLWATER – Another Oklahoma State player has entered the transfer portal, this time back on the offensive side of the ball. According to a report from Max Olson of The Athletic, quarterback Shane Illingworth has entered his name into the portal.

Illingworth, who has been the primary backup, would be entering his third season in Stillwater this fall. He becomes the 12th OSU player to enter the portal in this cycle.

This past season, the 6-6 quarterback out of Norco, played in three games, starting in the season opener against Missouri State as Spencer Sanders was dealing with COVID issues. Illingworth went 22-of-40 for 315 yards and one touchdown. He also saw action against Kansas and Notre Dame, going 6-of-10 against the Jayhawks for 70 yards and two touchdowns.

Illingworth played an expanded role during the 2020 season as he was thrown into the fire in the season opener against Tulsa following an injury to Sanders. Illingworth went 4-for-5 against Tulsa for 79 yards. On the season, he played in four games, going 41-of-70 for 554 yards and four touchdowns.

This news shouldn’t come as too big of a surprise as it was kind of expected to happen with Sanders returning for his senior season in the fall. Along with Sanders, freshman Garret Rangel is already on campus, along with Gunnar Gundy and Peyton Thompson.

Discussion from...

Report: Shane Illingworth Has Entered the Transfer Portal

7,969 Views | 34 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by 1slowpoke
Polston31
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Good luck Shane. Better get ready young Gundy! You're up next!
GumbyFromPokeyLand
Expected.
Imapoke
Best of luck, Shane. Not sure I blame him.
Polston31
He wouldn't have beaten out sanders next season and sanders could also come back another year after as well. Shane might have sat a full 4 years or more before he got to start.
CaliforniaCowboy
well hell.... there goes the future.

sure wish it had been Sanders entering

PaloDuroPoke
I hate to see him leave. Huge potential and future in this offense. I'm not in the camp that believes he should be playing ahead of Spenser Sanders but he kept the heat on enough to keep Sanders focused and improving. Don't Blame him for leaving in the current environment of college football. The days of someone waiting his turn are long gone. Good luck to him
backphil
Without an offensive line that can adequately protect a QB, all of the future Cowboys QB's are going to have to be able to run and scramble. Shane will fit in somewhere nicely where they have a quality pass blocking O-Line. He is the prototypical NFL QB.
OT
Best wishes to Mr Illingworth. He is good enough to start for a P5 and make a run for the NFL.
Ostateman
Polston31 said:

He wouldn't have beaten out sanders next season and sanders could also come back another year after as well. Shane might have sat a full 4 years or more before he got to start.
That's Gundyball for ya!
I really did want to see what he could do given the chance.
But he never got a real chance.
Best of luck, Shane.
I know there are rules, but do we really want to follow them now?
Ostateman
PaloDuroPoke said:

I hate to see him leave. Huge potential and future in this offense. I'm not in the camp that believes he should be playing ahead of Spenser Sanders but he kept the heat on enough to keep Sanders focused and improving. Don't Blame him for leaving in the current environment of college football. The days of someone waiting his turn are long gone. Good luck to him
Yeah, he was pretty patient. I think he's in his early 40s now.
I know there are rules, but do we really want to follow them now?
Polston31
My personal opinion is that sanders is the better choice. He can escape pressure l. I think Shane would have been good but would have been sacked a lot more. Sanders is the answer
TUSKAPOKE
GOOD LUCK...GOODBYE....THANKS FOR THE HARD WORK.....NEXT QB UP.....GO POKES!!!
CaliforniaCowboy
Polston31 said:

My personal opinion is that sanders is the better choice. He can escape pressure l. I think Shane would have been good but would have been sacked a lot more. Sanders is the answer
but if you look at performance, Illingworth did better than Sanders in an offense designed for Sanders, just imagine what he might have done in an offense designed for a passing QB (think Weeden or Rudolph)

if the pocket collapses, you step up, and/or you throw it away... plus you provide additional blockers... we've done it successfully many times
Polston31
We have. I just look at the pressure sanders dealt with constantly and in the same scenario Shane wouldn't have been able to escape. I think Shane behind the lines weeden played with he for sure would have been great but with a young receiver core plus a marginal line I think Shane would have struggled. Not a talent issue on his part by any means.
GumbyFromPokeyLand
CaliforniaCowboy said:

Polston31 said:

but if you look at performance, Illingworth did better than Sanders in an offense designed for Sanders, just imagine what he might have done in an offense designed for a passing QB (think Weeden or Rudolph)

if the pocket collapses, you step up, and/or you throw it away... plus you provide additional blockers... we've done it successfully many times

Lol
CaliforniaCowboy
Polston31 said:

We have. I just look at the pressure sanders dealt with constantly and in the same scenario Shane wouldn't have been able to escape. I think Shane behind the lines weeden played with he for sure would have been great but with a young receiver core plus a marginal line I think Shane would have struggled. Not a talent issue on his part by any means.
you don't need to think about it.... Shane played in 7 games and started 3. There are actual statistics

Polston31
Fair enough man. I guess we will never know now tho
Joe Khatib
I thought you were busy trying to redesign our boring MEETING ROOMS into the man cave at the playboy mansion! How is that coming along?
1slowpoke
So does this mean we just have Sanders, Gundy, and Rangel and several walk-on QB remaining? Hopefully Sanders stays healthy this year. Will we need to get another QB from the portal? With all the high profile QB's in the portal now would it be wise to bring them in to compete with Sanders and possibly they become the starter? JT Daniel's and Jaxson Dart are five star QB's in the portal.
James W Carpenter
_888
Then how come he didn't win the starting job?
_888
CaliforniaCowboy said:

Where is the thumbs down button?
GumbyFromPokeyLand
1ove said:

CaliforniaCowboy said:

Don't you mean big red X ?
CaliforniaCowboy
1ove said:

CaliforniaCowboy said:

these personal attacks cannot continue.... somebody do something
1slowpoke
My gut tells me Shane has a higher ceiling than Spencer. I believe Shane has greater NFL potential than Spencer. If Shane can get three years playing with a good team he could surprise everyone and go high in NFL draft. I will be rooting and following him at his next team.
James W Carpenter
CaliforniaCowboy
1slowpoke said:

My gut tells me Shane has a higher ceiling than Spencer. I believe Shane has greater NFL potential than Spencer. If Shane can get three years playing with a good team he could surprise everyone and go high in NFL draft. I will be rooting and following him at his next team.

exactly my point... nice post
Orangeheart72
The supposed "most talented and under utilized player" on most college teams......the back up quarterback. I like Shane and love good passing, but until a qb plays 10 or 12 games and gets hammered because he loses to a Baylor team that his line couldn't block, it's hard to know what fans/coaches/media will think of him. I do know we've got a damn good qb starting for OSU. Is he perfect every game? No. Would Shane have been? No. And I wouldn't be surprised if Spencer gets a shot and/or roster spot in the NFL. He's a pretty rare talent at OSU, so enjoy him while we have him folks! I've only seen one or maybe two better at OSU in my 60 years of attending games. (Weeden and perhaps Zac, but SS may be better than Zac by the time he's through).
CaliforniaCowboy
sure... but what's the over/under on number of games before we see the backup, due to injury? The last two years he didn't even make it through/to the first game, the year before that he lasted a bit longer into the season before Dru Brown had to take over.

... and who do we see coming in for him? Bullock or Gundy?
NJAggie
I hate to see him go. He was a tough kid that must have loved being at OSU since he stayed for three years. He did a great job when he was forced on to the field. It's tough to replace a good starter with a good younger back up. That younger back up has to show great. Shane could have replaced Sanders, but there was never an indication he would have done better, and that's in the end why the depth chart didn't change.

I don't blame him for moving on because yes he was in the bind of being a year behind someone that will probably be a 5 year starter for us. I'd say that Gunnar and Rangel will be in shape after the spring to be the back up. I'm sure its one of the main goals for Dunn and Rattay. Would we have been in better shape if Shane stayed? Yes, but that's not fair to him as he does have potential to be a starting QB. Hope he gets a great opportunity at a P5 school because he deserves it.

Timing can suck sometimes.
GumbyFromPokeyLand
Good take.
1slowpoke
Since he was recruited by Yurcich when Yurcich was our OC, is it possible he may be reunited and sign with Penn State?
James W Carpenter
CaliforniaCowboy
Shane was only here 2 years, he arrived in Jan 2020 the Covid season, in which Spring ball and summer workouts were cancelled. Since nobody had played or practiced in a year, Coach spent Fall camp trying to get Sanders ready, since he was the only QB on campus that had even seen the playbook... much less the OLine, RBs and WRs.... no real time to teach a whole team the offense, and break in a new QB.... but Sanders got hurt in the 1st game (Tulsa), and between Sanders and Bullock, we were way behind in the end of the game wihen Gundy put in Shane.... where he promptly lead us to victory with no experience, and only 3rd team reps in the Fall.

Shane went on to win the next few games, also without any Fall experience.

Fast forward to this season where Gundy gave Shane 2nd team reps, and then Sanders again missed the opener and Shane had to come in on a moments notice and give us a win.

The kids has done ever single thing that was asked of him. (and he never had a 4 int game, or fumbled the ball a lot, none of that silly stuff that our current QB does).

I really, really, really wish that Shane had gotten a fair shake....
1slowpoke
He's going to Nevada University in Reno.
James W Carpenter
CaliforniaCowboy
1slowpoke said:

He's going to Nevada University in Reno.
okay...

we'll see you in a couple of years on Sunday's, Shane.... good luck

1slowpoke
He will miss their Spring Camp but appears he may be their starter next year.
James W Carpenter
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.