Story Poster
Photo by © Mark Zaleski / For The Tennessean
Oklahoma State Football

Report: Contract Details for Oklahoma State DC Derek Mason Have Been Reported

February 7, 2022

STILLWATER – New Oklahoma State defensive coordinator Derek Mason’s contract details have been announced. Chris Becker of the O’Colly was first to report Mason is set to sign a two-year contract worth $1.1 million a year. According to Oklahoma State, the official contract is still in the works with the legal team.

The contract would make Mason the highest paid assistant coach in Oklahoma State. Mason made $1.5 million last season at Auburn.

There’s more good news on the coaching contract front as Pokes Report has learned there will be more happy coaches on the football staff.

Yet to be announced are raises across the board for the Oklahoma State football full-time coaching staff. This includes everybody with the possible exception of offensive coordinator Kasey Dunn. Dunn was the only coach who had a contract that did not expire during the COVID-19 pandemic year. Dunn still may be included as head coach Mike Gundy was seeking raises for all full-time coaching staff. The football support staff had raises activated at the end the 2021 calendar year. Gundy also is expected to get a raise in his salary along with the move made last September to re-instate the terms of his previous contract. All of those actions should be finalized at the Oklahoma State University Board of Regents meeting in March.

Mason was hired by Mike Gundy in late January after a near-month-long coaching search following the 2021-22 season. Former DC Jim Knowles left for the DC role at Ohio State the first part of December following the regular season.

Mason comes to Stillwater following a one-year stint at Auburn as the defensive coordinator last year where he saw the Tiger defense improve in nearly every category across the board. Prior to his stop at Auburn, Mason was the head coach at Vanderbilt from 2014 to 2020. He also coached against Oklahoma State in the 2012 Fiesta Bowl as the Assistant Head Coach and Defensive Coordinator for Stanford.

Discussion from...

Report: Contract Details for Oklahoma State DC Derek Mason Have Been Reported

11,344 Views | 51 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by CaliforniaCowboy
Joe Khatib
How long do you want to ignore this user?
CaliforniaCowboy said:

which begs the question, why did he take less to come here?

My guess is you take hold of any sturdy life raft to get away from the sinking ship!!!
CaliforniaCowboy
Joe Khatib said:

CaliforniaCowboy said:

My guess is you take hold of any sturdy life raft to get away from the sinking ship!!!
winner, winner, chicken dinner.

that's likely it... OSU is certainly as sturdy life raft defensively speaking, plus the Vandy money, he's definitely put himself in a better spot for a while.

GumbyFromPokeyLand
CaliforniaCowboy said:

Joe Khatib said:

CaliforniaCowboy said:

that's likely it... OSU is certainly as sturdy life raft defensively speaking, plus the Vandy money, he's definitely put himself in a better spot for a while.

"Completely speculative" Vandy money
CaliforniaCowboy
GumbyFromPokeyLand said:

CaliforniaCowboy said:

Joe Khatib said:

CaliforniaCowboy said:

if you want speculation, then go read your post in response to NJ..... it's practically unintelligible, and even using your simple math numbers, I still come up with at least $200k/yr.

THIS IS SPECULATION: you don't know how much his salary was, you don't know what the buy-out clause was, you don't know if they're paying him over time (versus lump sum), you don't know squat, but here you are dumping piss and your vitriol on every post that somebody makes.

bottom like is that YOU DO NOT KNOW.

if you want to fight with other posters, the other boards are more suited for that.
GumbyFromPokeyLand
CaliforniaCowboy said:

GumbyFromPokeyLand said:

CaliforniaCowboy said:

Joe Khatib said:

CaliforniaCowboy said:

if you want speculation, then go read your post in response to NJ..... it's practically unintelligible, and even using your simple math numbers, I still come up with at least $200k/yr.

THIS IS SPECULATION: you don't know how much his salary was, you don't know what the buy-out clause was, you don't know if they're paying him over time (versus lump sum), you don't know squat, but here you are dumping piss and your vitriol on every post that somebody makes.

bottom like is that YOU DO NOT KNOW.

if you want to fight with other posters, the other boards are more suited for that.

Where did I speculate about his contract? Please show us. All I did was point out what could be in his contract.
It is complete speculation as to whether he is or is not having his buy-out offset by his salary at OSU. NJ was speculating. You are speculating.

Here is what I IKNOW.

As recently as a few years ago, there were over 45 Div 1 head coaches who DID NOT have any offset language in the buyout provisions in their contract.
CaliforniaCowboy
GumbyFromPokeyLand said:

Where did I speculate about his contract? Please show us. All I did was point out what could be in his contract.
It is complete speculation as to whether he is or is not having his buy-out offset by his salary at OSU. NJ was speculating. You are speculating.

Here is what I IKNOW.

As recently as a few years ago, there were over 45 Div 1 head coaches who DID NOT have any offset language in the buyout provisions in their contract.
Dude, I do not want to fight with you......

"what could be" IS SPECULATION. That's what speculation is.

"a few years ago".... infers, (speculates) that it would still be the same today...

You're speculating that the coaches in the Power 5 conferences were among those 45 of 130 contracts that did not have off-set contracts - since P5 coaches typically would command better negotiation terms...... I actually excluded this bit from my reply..... the contract terms must be paid regardless of the method

You gave his contract amount from a couple years ago, and suggested it could be a basis for determining his buy-out, but it's speculation on your part whether that old value was representative of his final salary, you also said that contracts have a 50-75% buyout value, and speculated that could be the same for Mason.

your whole post was speculation, now leave us alone and let us speculate if we want to. Unless you have any actual facts, then our speculation is equal to your speculation.

.... and you don't know squat.... as I already said.
GumbyFromPokeyLand
All I did was point out that anyone concluding Mason's buyout WILL be offset by his earnings at OSU is complete speculation - which causes you to go on an ape doo doo tangent. Whether you believe there are contracts out there that either don't have offset language or language that limits the offset is kinda irrelevant. What YOU DONT KNOW is what was in Mason's Vandy contract, and thus any belief about its content is complete speculation.

Calm down, take a breath or two and move on.
Polston31
Take my word for it you are better off not even having a conversation with cali man. He would argue with a wall. Your point is always wrong when you deal with that guy it's never an actual two way conversation. Just throwing that out there to save yourself the time and frustration lol
CaliforniaCowboy
no, that was NOT all you did in reply to NJ's post, as if to suggest that there was better (more correct) information out there (which there was not)..... and I did not reply to the hypocrisy of you accusing other posts of speculation.

YOU ALSO..... did it again to my post... as if every time it comes up you are going to personally cancel out the observations and comments of other posters, with your speculation.

YOU DID IT TWICE, with no additional facts or basis.

If you have some actual facts then share them... otherwise please be more considerate of other's opinions.

CaliforniaCowboy
Polston31 said:

Take my word for it you are better off not even having a conversation with cali man. He would argue with a wall. Your point is always wrong when you deal with that guy it's never an actual two way conversation. Just throwing that out there to save yourself the time and frustration lol
He is the one that was correcting my post... not as you have outlined it above.

and you are talking about ME, AGAIN, by name, rather than about the topic. Please stop bashing me, I do not treat you in that manner.
GumbyFromPokeyLand
Polston31 said:

Oh, I know it all right. But it's instructive getting him to put his absurdity on display - over and over and over again.
GumbyFromPokeyLand
CaliforniaCowboy said:

no, that was NOT all you did in reply to NJ's post, as if to suggest that there was better (more correct) information out there (which there was not)..... and I did not reply to the hypocrisy of you accusing other posts of speculation.

YOU ALSO..... did it again to my post... as if every time it comes up you are going to personally cancel out the observations and comments of other posters, with your speculation.

If you have some actual facts then share them... otherwise please be more considerate of other's opinions.

List your facts. Or do you base your opinions on something other than facts?
CaliforniaCowboy
GumbyFromPokeyLand said:

CaliforniaCowboy said:

now you're just trolling, and continually showing your idiocracy to the board.... you said yourself there are no facts, the contract is not public.

Everybody already knows that, and you should too.

Most of us with rational minds, will speculate that Mason has some bank from his 3.5M gig at Vandy, whether it's lump sum in the bank, or paid out over a few years, or whether it is an off-set payment.

You however choose to speculate that Mason gets/got almost nothing because you can't see his contract.

Bully for you. Show me your facts where Mason did not or is not receiving buy-out money from Vandy.

your continual hostile censoring nonsense is sending thread after thread after thread off the rails, and you're always wrong. Every single time. We have a new B12 conference despite your insistence that we could not say that, All reports show Yurcich did not get hired as the OC, despite your tin foil hat insistence that he did, and Mason got a huge payday from Vandy, as all P5 coaches do, despite your insistence that there is no evidence of it..

Prove me wrong on any of those.
Polston31
Anyone know how to turn off notifications for the comments on here?
GumbyFromPokeyLand
CaliforniaCowboy said:

GumbyFromPokeyLand said:

CaliforniaCowboy said:

now you're just trolling, and continually showing your idiocracy to the board.... you said yourself there are no facts, the contract is not public.

Everybody already knows that, and you should too.

Most of us with rational minds, will speculate that Mason has some bank from his 3.5M gig at Vandy, whether it's lump sum in the bank, or paid out over a few years, or whether it is an off-set payment.

You however choose to speculate that Mason gets/got almost nothing because you can't see his contract.

Bully for you. Show me your facts where Mason did not or is not receiving buy-out money from Vandy.

your continual hostile censoring nonsense is sending thread after thread after thread off the rails, and you're always wrong. Every single time. We have a new B12 conference despite your insistence that we could not say that, All reports show Yurcich did not get hired as the OC, despite your tin foil hat insistence that he did, and Mason got a huge payday from Vandy, as all P5 coaches do, despite your insistence that there is no evidence of it..

Prove me wrong on any of those.

Okay, That's easy.
I never said he didn't receive a buy-out $$$ from Vandy. I'm sure he did since every HC contract I've ever read has a buyout provision in the event a HC is fired without cause. But the terms of HC buyouts are so varied it would be nothing more than rank speculation to assume the payment terms and timing of any buyout. Nonetheless, I've never said Mason is or is not still receiving buy-out $$$ from Vandy. I've never said I think or believe Mason is or is not still receiving buy-out $$$ from Vandy. Instead, I clearly stated "It is complete speculation as to whether he is or is not having his buy-out offset by his salary at OSU." I'm not willing to speculate because I have no facts about his contract.

You, on the other hand, are perfectly willing to speculate without facts.

I'm done.
CaliforniaCowboy
GumbyFromPokeyLand said:

Okay, That's easy.
I never said he didn't receive a buy-out $$$ from Vandy. I'm sure he did since every HC contract I've ever read has a buyout provision in the event a HC is fired without cause. But the terms of HC buyouts are so varied it would be nothing more than rank speculation to assume the payment terms and timing of any buyout. Nonetheless, I've never said Mason is or is not still receiving buy-out $$$ from Vandy. I've never said I think or believe Mason is or is not still receiving buy-out $$$ from Vandy. Instead, I clearly stated "It is complete speculation as to whether he is or is not having his buy-out offset by his salary at OSU." I'm not willing to speculate because I have no facts about his contract.

You, on the other hand, are perfectly willing to speculate without facts.

I'm done.
That's what I thought, couldn't prove me wrong on any of them.... just excuses.

I had asked why Mason would come from Auburn for less money and only 2 years... THEN NJ responded that he likely had Vandy money from his prior gig (he did speculate how that Vandy money might have been paid, but so what - that wasn't the point). I had not considered his payout from his HC gig at Vandy, which when presented like that made much more sense to me why he might (could afford to) take a bit of a cut at OSU and a short contract.

You then started up this entire nonsensical string of posts about whether there was some clause which was only ONE OPTION on how Mason got his money.

I personally excluded that option from every one of my posts, because it was irrelevant to my question, and irrelevant to the thread. Mason got Vandy money. The topic was covered.

You then jumped in again and slapped your nonsense onto one of my posts about Vandy money... and you were wrong then, and you are wrong now, regardless of how you try to twist your way out of it by claiming your irrelevant nonsense.

but most disgustedly, once again, you have flat out stated that your objective is not to post relevant information, your objective is to make other posters look bad. You've said it in multiple threads now.

please quit trying to start fights with the posters here.
Refresh
Page 2 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.