Story Poster
Oklahoma State Football

The Portal Keeps Turning, Tampering Continues, Who is in Control?

February 14, 2022

STILLWATER – It continues to churn, the NCAA Transfer Portal. I guess there are some West Coast schools that might still be able to enroll a student-athlete in classes, but from the ACC to the Big Ten and Big 12 semesters are over a month underway, and classes are closed. Still, there were at least three football players that went into the NCAA Transfer Portal on Valentine’s Day apparently ready to break up with their college home.

To continue reading, you must be a Pokes Report Premium subscriber.
Discussion from...

The Portal Keeps Turning, Tampering Continues, Who is in Control?

2,544 Views | 7 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by NJAggie
Orangeheart72
How long do you want to ignore this user?
And the answer is: Those with lowest ethics and highest check book balances.
CaliforniaCowboy
Orangeheart72 said:

LOL - I believe that was the old model.

The new model removes the ethics part.... everything goes, apparently: only the checkbooks matter.

thetruth
If this doesn't sour you on college athletics, nothing will.
CaliforniaCowboy
thetruth said:

If this doesn't sour you on college athletics, nothing will.
I was plenty soured on college football when the no-accounts forced the stupid play-off on us....

I'm having a really hard time stomaching this latest money grab.

If they don't get it resolved very soon, we're going to have a very different product, which will exclude OSU from the upper echelon, IMO.

NJAggie
I just see this building for a while longer then its going to crash. Soon athletes are going to be employees and soon after that the whole student thing is purely optional.

At some point on that line of progress someone is going to have to say is running a semi-pro developmental football program for the NFL really our mission as a university?

At some point they just have to let it go. Some like OU will sell their naming rights to the new pro-league.

Then after a hiatus of a few years the schools can start playing regionally as club teams then move to non-scholarship and back into the amateur model, but without TV networks involved. Radio and streaming will be the media.
Joe Khatib
Orangeheart72 said:

To me all NIL did was LEGALIZE what has been going on in the SEC for years now!!!
NJAggie
Well to one degree, but it also allowed it to baloon. You can just pay more above board than below.

I do think there is room to get in and get the NIL out of recruiting at least directly. I think that could be legislated and enforced. But, the courts might have different thoughts.

Actually at this point let it roll, it will blow up faster this way.

It's already getting dicey out there. The ACC is wanting to stop all change because their position is so weak compared to others, and the AAC is now publicly calling them out on expansion of the playoffs because they and the other G5 schools need that playoff money bump.

Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.