Story Poster

Wrestling Wrap-up; Why Has Oklahoma State Wrestling Slipped So Far?

March 26, 2022

STILLWATER – My nickname for John Smith is “John Wayne” as in “The Duke.” Smith is like the character in the Jim Croce song “Don’t Mess Around with Jim.”

“You don't tug on superman's cape
You don't spit into the wind
You don't pull the mask off that old lone ranger
And you don't mess around with Jim “

You don’t mess around with John.

To continue reading, you must be a Pokes Report Premium subscriber.
Discussion from...

Wrestling Wrap-up; Why Has Oklahoma State Wrestling Slipped So Far?

2,877 Views | 5 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by Danny Deck
PaloDuroPoke
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Robert I'm disappointed in your logic. You sound like the negative Nancy's that give up too easily. Yes we had a lot of things snowball and go wrong this year. It happens but dang you sound like you are giving up. I'd bet you a hideaway pizza we won't finish lower than 3rd the next 5 years. John will do whatever he has to do now. He isn't going out like this. Plus, there is tremendous talent here and on its way. I'll be disappointed if we aren't challenging for titles starting very soon.
Robert Allen
Staff
Big 12 titles yes, those are easy to win. Like I wrote, the conference is an albatross toward national supremacy. It doesn't help you. I'm not sure there is any help coming. The Big Ten sure isn't going to lend Oklahoma State a hand. You need to schedule as many duals with the Big Ten powers as you can. I bet they will limit that.

Look at the recent history. This has been building. It comes down to recruiting and with the power of the conference, the Big Ten has the advantage.

Not to mention, they don't help that much, but Oklahoma will be moving out of the Big 12 in the next 2-3 years.
PaloDuroPoke
No one said Big 12 conference. I'm talking nationally. We can compete. I've been reading on this site for 2 years we have been recruiting at the highest level. What happened? John and his assistants need to teach and expect toughness. Mental and physical. I think he will turn it around. We shall see.
Robert Allen
Staff
I'd love to take credit for wrestling recruiting stories, but I don't think we've written many. What we have done was maybe passed on the wrestling recruiting rankings of wrestling recruiting sites. I will be honest and say I don't have that expertise. I know what I watch from the NCAA Championships is better wrestlers and most of them wearing singlets from Big Ten schools.
Danny Deck
Other than Minnesota and Iowa who we have wrestled every year, it will be tough to add other Big 10 schools. Not much upside for them, and they don't need tougher schedules. We should be looking at the other schools that are top 15-ish to get on the schedule. Some selection from ASU, Cornell, Va Tech, NC State, Oregon State, and UNC should be on the schedule every year.

We do need the rest of the Big 12 to get better. OU placed third in 03, 05 and 06. In '04 Nebraska, ISU and OU were all in the top 10. We both need OU to remain in the Big 12 for wrestling and improve dramatically, in addition to ISU and WVU improving. It would be nice if Cincinnati would add wrestling since it's in a state with really strong high school wrestling, but I'm not going to hold my breath. Unfortunately this is wholly out of OSU's control and I think a major piece of the puzzle.

From the sound of it the things that are in OSU's control like our RTC are going to be getting attention. No overnight fixes, but I'm hopeful the reevaluation from the top will show dividends next year in how we look in March.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.