Story Poster
Oklahoma State Football

Oklahoma State Gets Portal Running Back in Deondre Jackson from Texas A&M

May 5, 2022

STILLWATER – Oklahoma State is still looking for an offensive line addition with two scholarships available with the 85-limit working toward next season, but there was always some desire to pick up a veteran running back to add to a young and talented running back corps led by the one veteran in Dominic Richardson. Oklahoma State actually picks up a running back that they recruited heavily in the 2020 class in Deondre Jackson.

The 6-0, 220-pound Jackson was a standout at Stephenson High School in Stone Mountain, Ga. and Cowboys running backs coach John Wozniak made several trips out there. Oklahoma State was in his recruiting deep and now two years removed he is a Cowboy.

It turns out that Oklahoma State also pulled Jackson out on the verge of being a Nebraska Cornhusker. Jackson was in the portal on Jan. 5 and then pledged to Nebraska on Jan. 11. But never enrolled and now he appears destined to enroll at the end of this month in Stillwater and play for Oklahoma State.

This similar to Oklahoma State losing Prince Pines, the offensive lineman from Sam Houston State, that committed to OSU and has since changed to Tulane. There is no documentation like a letter of intent that binds portal transfers to a commit. They are official when they arrive.

Pokes Report
Deondre Jackson

“Basically, it (OSU) is a great place where the system fits my talents and is a good place for me to compete for playing time right away,” Jackson said of his decision. I like the coaches and the environment there including the fans.”

Jackson told me by phone from College Station, Texas that his final exams are done and that he will be coming into Stillwater for a visit next Tuesday.

“I haven’t been there, but I’ve had virtual tours and talked to all the coaches,” he said. “I was majoring in Sports Management at A&M and I think I will major in Sports Management or Communications at Oklahoma State.”

He confirmed for me that he is 6-0 and he said he is weighing “220 or 219.” He will be a big back that can help out with the workload as head coach Mike Gundy is big on using several backs in the offense. Offensive coordinator Kasey Dunn is big on giving those backs lots of work.

Jackson joins not only Richardson (6-0, 210), but also Zach Middleton (5-9, 202) and Jaden Nixon (5-10, 185). Both freshmen in Ollie Gordon (6-1, 218) and CJ Brown (5-10, 180) arrived in January and went through spring. Walk-ons Andre Washington (6-0, 195) and Asa Osbourn (5-9, 190) are also there. In spring Middleton broke his hand but will be back for summer conditioning. In the final spring practice Gordon had a shoulder injury that will be fine. It is a position that takes a lot of hits and it has been proven in the past that you need 4-5 really good players to insure depth.

TexAgs
Jackson at Stephenson High School in Georgia.

Jackson had a strong high school career and first surfaced at Miller Grove High School in Litonia, Ga. as a freshman Then he moved to Stephenson High School in Stone Mountain and really started attracting attention. His senior season he had offers from not only Texas A&M but also Auburn, Alabama, Florida, South Carolina, Tennessee, Michigan State, Ohio State, Purdue, Rutgers, and Syracuse. It was those offers that made it a crowd and Oklahoma State was on some other backs including Richardson. A three-star prospect he rushed for 1,220-yards and 20 touchdowns on 183 carries.

He was used little at Texas A&M as he red-shirted in the 2020 season and had just two carries for 15-yards against South Carolina. Last season he played against Kent State, New Mexico, Prairie View A&M, and LSU. He had just one carry for -two-yards vs. Prairie View.

Discussion from...

Oklahoma State Gets Portal Running Back in Deondre Jackson from Texas A&M

7,340 Views | 24 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by Polston31
Zen
How long do you want to ignore this user?
The importance of this pick up is that it reduces the workload that Gundy had in mind for Richardson, projected to carry the ball 18-20 times. Hopefully, the next scholarship will go to an O-lineman.
POOBAPOKE
GO POKES!
thetruth
Zen said:

The importance of this pick up is that it reduces the workload that Gundy had in mind for Richardson, projected to carry the ball 18-20 times. Hopefully, the next scholarship will go to an O-lineman.
Not to mention that he may be better than anyone we have on campus right now???
TUSKAPOKE
WELCOME TO OSU!!! GO POKES!!!
OT
Great add to the RB roster. Hope he's ready to roll in Sept.
Polston31
If he takes over the two spot our rb combo is gonna be pretty big. Dom is a big dude and this kid is and likely after a summer with glass even more so. I am pretty interested in a power duo like this with Spencer sanders running here and there. Hopefully he is impactful because the results could be very nice. I expect our run game will be ok state standard as usual
_888
He's really added to help block since he is a big body rb
Orangeheart72
He actually said in his interview with Robert he prides himself as a blocking back. Good news for SS. But I also think the coaches may view him as a diamond in the rough rb. He was beloved out of high school (Alabama, tOSU, etc.), but for whatever reasons, A&M didn't use him much given their rb depth choices. But that doesn't nessarily reflect poorly on him (or the coaches at A&M) really. We had a pretty good rb once who didn't get a lot of chances at first because some future all pro named Thurman was a class or two in front of him. But he was still a very decent running back (GOAT) when given the chance.
CaliforniaCowboy
Orangeheart72 said:

He actually said in his interview with Robert he prides himself as a blocking back. Good news for SS. But I also think the coaches may view him as a diamond in the rough rb. He was beloved out of high school (Alabama, tOSU, etc.), but for whatever reasons, A&M didn't use him much given their rb depth choices. But that doesn't nessarily reflect poorly on him (or the coaches at A&M) really. We had a pretty good rb once who didn't get a lot of chances at first because some future all pro named Thurman was a class or two in front of him. But he was still a very decent running back (GOAT) when given the chance.
OMG... please, no Barry references for a kid with no experience.... my goodness.

(i.e., Barry did plenty in his FR and Soph seasons to demonstrate he was special, returns, etc.)

I hope like heck these two kids can carry the load or that one of the Freshman is better than advertised because fact and reality says we're starting the season with almost zero experience at RB with a group of kids that have never been able to even sniff the field regularly. (for whatever reasons).

Now is their chance to make something of their careers, I hope one or both can get it done.
Polston31
I think more than comparing the kid to sanders he is just saying it's possible to have good backs waiting in the wings.
CaliforniaCowboy
Polston31 said:

I think more than comparing the kid to sanders he is just saying it's possible to have good backs waiting in the wings.
yes, I understood what he was saying, and like I said, we knew (and all opposing coaches knew) who we had waiting in the wings. It was no surprise.

This is NOT THAT SITUATION. We know nothing about these kids other than they have not ever shown much.

Believe me, I am a Richardson fan, I thought he was going to take the reins last season and lead the team, but he didn't, he got passed over by a newbie transfer who had no experience with our team.

I'm hoping for the best... maybe, just maybe the light will come on for one of these kids.... they will be given every opportunity.
Polston31
Right. Again no one is saying it's that situation. More just a comparison we would all know relating to having a good 1 and 2.
CaliforniaCowboy
Polston31 said:

Right. Again no one is saying it's that situation. More just a comparison we would all know relating to having a good 1 and 2.
I get it, I get it..... neither of them was a good 1 and 2... that's the point. They were 3 or even lower.
Polston31
Neither has been a 1 before. I think generally it works this way. Kids show up and train in the system then when their time comes they get to prove themselves. While I agree they are mostly unproven I don't agree they aren't good. They could be very good for all we know. We will see tho. Dom in my opinion has been good for us in a reserve role. He reminds me a lot of Keith toston.
Polston31
Dom actually has 596 yards rushing and 7 tds in a reserve role and almost 5 yards per carry. He sat behind some really good backs. I would argue that he actually has been really good for us when given a chance. He is the guy now and if the line is respectable I see him having a strong season
CaliforniaCowboy
you make it sound like I'm bad mouthing the kid, which I am not.

Toston was actually pretty good from the minute he stepped on campus, so IMO, that comparison is not valid.

Like I said, I thought Richardson would be the go-to back last season, but he did not grab the reins and lead when he was given that chance. I went out on a limb last year saying he would be excellent.... he did not perform that way.

I gave him the lip service last year, this year he's (all 3 of them) are going to have to earn it, even though there is nobody projected ahead ATM.

I hope Richardson gets it done for our sake, otherwise we're down to placing our hopes on freshmen or a transfer backup that hasn't played or practiced in over a year.

I have hope..... I just think I'm fooling myself because there just isn't a lot of tangible evidence there to place the hope on... at least not ATM.
Polston31
Well I can't control how it sounds to you I was just pointing out that it could be a good situation. You said they weren't good 1 and 2s but in fact they haven't been those and Richardson has played well. Richardson has produced and has a good amount of experience which is contrary to what you are saying. 600 yards and 7 tds playing behind multiple other backs is pretty productive I would say. Tosten also had a solid freshman season before being a second or third guy until his senior year when Kendall hunter got hurt. So also in that tosten and Richardson are pretty similar. Also playing style and size they are very similar. So I do suppose I am a bit confused with you saying Richardson isn't good and has no experience when is has produced in crowded backfields and has played and put up good stats in two years so he has experience. I don't really understand what you are saying other than yes they are ultra experienced and they aren't Thurman and Barry which no one is saying. We have a true junior stepping into a starting role after two years of learning and producing a respectable amount so in football reality it's like what you want in that situation. Now the transfer got like 5 Carrie's so we don't have much to compared to so also kinda unfair to say he isn't a good 1 or 2 when he hasn't had a real shot. He was a young back behind guys so it kinda makes sense he wasn't playing. So although I'm not saying they will be amazing I am saying it's not super fair yo say they won't be good or haven't been good. It's misleading a bit honestly because you did kinda make it sound like they have flopped or just aren't good and I do believe that's a bad assessment
CaliforniaCowboy
one last time..... I NEVER SAID HE WASN'T GOOD.

So far, he is no Keith Toston..... so far.

In Toston's freshman season he beat out both returning rushing leaders from the prior season (960 yard rusher Mike Hamilton, and Julis Crosslin), AND Toston only had 20 fewer carries than JUCO transfer Dantrell Savage (i.e., last year's Warren). Toston had fumble problems the following year and got reduced carries due to Savage and new FR Kendall Hunter

I like Richardson, he simply has not shown enough for me anoint him Big12 rushing champion and the next coming of Keith Toston. For heaven's sake.

It's there for him if he can grab it.... same as it was there for him last year, with our limited returning starters.

we're going to be in a world of hurt is nobody grabs it.

last year we had 3 RBs rush for 54 total yards against MOST, and he wasn't one of them. Against Tulsa we had 4 RBs rush for 88 yards (Richardson had 4 carries for 18, and the best YPC 4.5)

by the 3rd game, Boise, Brown got hurt and Warren went 32 for 218. Richardson started getting some carries in the next few games with Brown out, and nobody else.

statistics are fine for somethings, but contextually, Richardson got almost all of his yards last year in blow-out wins against KU and TCU, and some more with Warren was injured.

In the conf champ game, Jackson got more carries and did more than Richardson, despite Richardson have gotten those yards last year. Against ND he got ONE carry.

Believe me, I was cheering for him all season, but he just wasn't getting it done, and when Brown and Jackson finally returned, his carries went back down. Brown and Jackson were not some of our best backs... and Warren was out.

I'm not trying to bad mouth the kid, I'm simply stating why I think he needs to really step it up this year.

I mean really step it up.

I hope he does.

this is the last that I'll say on the subject, because it's totally obvious that we don't have a "proven" back returning.
Polston31
You said… 1. This is NOT THAT SITUATION. We know nothing about these kids other than they have not ever shown much.
2.OMG... please, no Barry references for a kid with no experience.... my goodness.
3.I hope like heck these two kids can carry the load or that one of the Freshman is better than advertised because fact and reality says we're starting the season with almost zero experience at RB with a group of kids that have never been able to even sniff the field regularly. (for whatever reasons).
4. I get it, I get it..... neither of them was a good 1 and 2...
5. I went out on a limb last year saying he would be excellent.... he did not perform that way.

So here you say or imply multiple times Richardson has no experience or say or imply he has not performed well.
Polston31
My point is you paint a picture of grim hope for our rb room next year based on lack of talent and experience but in reality it's very similar to the Barry sanders Thurman Thomas situation. Dom played quite a bit and produced as a backup. Similar to Barry right? You said we had seen what barry could do on the field before he got the starting job well we also have seen dom hence the 600 and 7 tds. Barry Stayed behind good backs then when he got his chance he shined. Absolutely not saying dom is Barry or even close but the situations are very very similar. Again contrary to what you have been saying. You kinda act like we got some no talent no experience guys stepping in and that dom couldn't even beat out lowly jaylen warren for the job last year as a true sophomore. I would argue that dom has been reliable in his role and his time for increased production is earned through his play and his experience coming back.
Polston31
This is all while pretending that it all falls on the rb and kind of ignoring the facts that out line struggled like always to begin the year and our receiver core couldn't get anything going because of the youth we had to play so we became pretty one dimensional at times. Hard for any back to be productive when they are running behind the twos and threes and receiving minimal help from the rest of the offense. Now I will agree dom needs to step it up but not because he has been lacking but more because it's just the time for it with him being the dude now
CaliforniaCowboy
Polston31 said:

My point is you paint a picture of grim hope for our rb room next year based on lack of talent and experience but in reality it's very similar to the Barry sanders Thurman Thomas situation. Dom played quite a bit and produced as a backup. Similar to Barry right?
no, no, no, no, no...... please stop

Thurman was a freaking all-american who had 800 yards as a freshman and 1600 as a soph.... Barry did more than just be very, very productive when he got RB touches, he also returned the ball, and was freaking electric. He ran the FIRST KICK of the season back two years in a row. The first freaking kick. Of the season. Twice.

No, it's not the same as Thurman and Barry, and no he's not like Toston, and their situations are not similar.

Toston was benched for Savage and Kendall Hunter, not LD Brown and Dez Jackson.

I don't know how grim our picture is, but it is certainly doesn't seem a lot better than last year when Chuba left and LD Brown was supposed to take over. (instead he got hurt and Warren stole the show. Not Richardson)

I actually cannot recall a recent equivalent, experience wise, to what we're looking at this season. Is it grim? I don't know, I've never said that. It is uncertain? Absolutely.
Polston31
Yeah again I didn't say dom is Barry sanders lol but dom has played and has produced. He hasn't gotten zero touches and been invisible and he doesn't have zero experience. You're bypassing the point as usual and deflecting back and forth on the points. We have experience coming back with dom. It's that simple. Not much behind him but dom is not an inexperienced back taking over. Not that it matters because you would just find a way to miss the point again lol it's all good I hope it all works out too but I would say I am opposite of you in I have strong belief that our next man up is ready. I don't see our situation as an uneasy one. I think especially with the transfer we are in great shape as usual.
Polston31
Also I think you need to reacquaint yourself with the word similar. Similar is similar not same. So when someone says similar you don't have to point out why they aren't exactly the same. They aren't the same but have similarities. You do a pretty great job of manipulation in the way you phrase things and with context. I bet you are a pretty smart guy so similar shouldn't be to foreign of a word for you to understand properly.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.