Story Poster
Photo by Bruce Waterfield/OSU Athletics
Oklahoma State Football

Five Cowboys You May Have Forgotten We Believe You Are About to Be Reminded of

June 19, 2022

STILLWATER – It would be great if things always worked out for the best. I might have a better belief and side along with so many on college football recruiting rankings if more of these players lived up their star totals. Fortunately, many of them don’t and way more of them play above their star totals. This way it allows me to continue to label the process and the work of so many less than qualified to do the ranking as a joke.

To continue reading, you must be a Pokes Report Premium subscriber.
Discussion from...

Five Cowboys You May Have Forgotten We Believe You Are About to Be Reminded of

3,320 Views | 7 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by rcfb
gary121853
How long do you want to ignore this user?
"allows me to continue to label the process and the work of so many less than qualified to do the ranking as a joke" Indeed, 'recruiting rankings' gets to be a religious topic for many etc .... however, genieunly Robert, i'm curious how you reconcile your opinion against the fact that those Programs consistently competing for Natty's and in the CFP are also consistently producing top 10 recruiting classes according to the ranking analyst etc ??
OSUgary
CaliforniaCowboy
IMO, there is no reconciliation needed.

Robert's statement and your statement are not the same thing.

Robert made a general statement about ranking turning out to be accurate, or not accurate (IN GENERAL), and in general, the rankings are way off.

"... I would side along with so many on college football recruiting rankings if more of these players lived up their star totals..."

He did not say that some kids, or a lot of these kids, do not live up to their star totals. The top programs get more than their share of the high-ranked (obvious) recruits, so they can afford to have misses (e.g., XLK), where-as teams like OSU that do not land a plethora of high-ranked kids cannot afford any misses, none, not even at the 3-star level, and must rely on the very inaccurate services ratings of the kids they omitted from the highest star rankings.

The top programs shed supposedly high rated kids at an unheard of rate, so the kids were not that good? They newest brightest star kids are potentially better? Why does Saben drive so many formerly 4-star kids away?

This star nonsense has been hashed over so many times, I don't know why you would bring it up again.

If there is absolutely no objective criteria for rating a kid as a 5 star or a 4 star, or a 3 star, then the services will always be under scrutiny.... but then, lack of objective criteria works to the advantage of the services because there is nothing concrete to measure their assessments against.

the services do not even have a method to compare the skills of one class versus the next or the previous class. Meaning, were the 5-stars in one season actually only the equivalent of 4-stars in another season?

The services have the capability to rank kids with a "plus or minus", so why don't they? (e.g., 3+ star DE, or 4- star OT)?

Would any of us really feel any better if we knew that Cincy had mostly 3+ star kids and Bama had 4- star kids, but both played in the "selection show playoff"?

IMO, the absurdity of the rankings by the services can be demonstrated with a simple example:

In this year's recruiting class there is a 5-star CB and a 4-star Safety listed next to each other, the only apparent difference is one has a "points" raking of .9835, and the other is .9833, a whopping difference of .0002 !!!! (Derek Williams - LSU lean, and Malik Muhammad, A$M lean)

Seriously..... .0002 is the difference between whether a kid is 5-star talent or 4-star talent?

The services use a point system so that they can manipulate the team rankings without being noticed, not because the kids got better or worse once somebody else watched their film....

about the only thing that I can consistently say about the point system (i.e. star rankings) is that if your team can consistently bring in a lot of kids with points of .850 and higher, then you have a great chance of being a consistently successful program.

pokeacola
RA or Zach, the previous story was great..I suggest y'all look at the 5 incoming true freshmen that have the potential to contribute. I refer not to the early enrollees but to the ones that show up this summer....just a thought.
Joe Khatib
gary121853 said:

"allows me to continue to label the process and the work of so many less than qualified to do the ranking as a joke" Indeed, 'recruiting rankings' gets to be a religious topic for many etc .... however, genieunly Robert, i'm curious how you reconcile your opinion against the fact that those Programs consistently competing for Natty's and in the CFP are also consistently producing top 10 recruiting classes according to the ranking analyst etc ??
For the last ten years or so top 10 seem to always consist of SEC, SEC, SEC with Ohio State and Clemson thrown in the mix. Who has won the National Championship the past 10 years? SEC, SEC, SEC with Ohio State and Clemson thrown in a couple of times!
Brian Murphy
Zach & I will definitely tackle that in the next podcast, along with adding to this great article.
Orangeheart72
I have thought one of the interesting parts of OSU's recruiting "improving" over the last couple years is that it corresponds so well with what seems to be a willingness by more and more national and streaming media to finally acknowledge what's been happening at OSU and with Coach Gundy. My point then is the "chicken and egg" issue, as to whether things have changed that much as to who we're getting to commit as recruits vs. blueblood program offers OR whether this is simply the media/star rating folks feeling pushed to finally credit OSU's recruits with having more potential due to OSU's/Gundy's success on the field. Obviously when the NFL is bringing so many OSU guys to camp, they must be thinking some raw talent is running around in Payne County, Oklahoma!
rcfb
RA or Zach what about the rumors that Silas Barr won't be ready before fall?
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.