Story Poster
Oklahoma State Football

Why Can't Realignment Be More Simple? Straight Numbers and Analytics Make it Easy

July 3, 2022

STILLWATER – First, let me admit that I don’t know much. Okay, like any other reporter worth their salt and has a draw back to old school tactics I’ve run my sources and I have some information. Some I can share and some that is “off the record” an approach that some veteran reporters use and benefit from and more new school reporters would rather keep searching than honor. All that aside, this is more of a column and much more my opinions than anything else.

To continue reading, you must be a Pokes Report Premium subscriber.
Discussion from...

Why Can't Realignment Be More Simple? Straight Numbers and Analytics Make it Easy

11,983 Views | 80 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by NJAggie
CaliforniaCowboy
How long do you want to ignore this user?
GumbyFromPokeyLand said:

Since the GOR is tied to the current tv deal via the expiration date, its very possible a new tv deal terminates the GOR.
I wouldn't expect so, at least based on your statements the last time the ACC GOR discussion came up.

You were pretty adamant that the teams had a GOR with the ACC, and that the ACC had the TV deal with ESPN.

Hell, I don't know.... maybe.

I would expect that the GOR would only be affected if a new TV deal was due to expansion, where the ACC teams would have to vote, especially if it involved a new payout structure.

All we really know is there isn't anybody out there (media types) making fact based statements, and all their click bait speculation is a bunch of hooey.... especially from Dodd.
GumbyFromPokeyLand
CaliforniaCowboy said:

GumbyFromPokeyLand said:

Since the GOR is tied to the current tv deal via the expiration date, its very possible a new tv deal terminates the GOR.
I wouldn't expect so, at least based on your statements the last time the ACC GOR discussion came up.

You were pretty adamant that the teams had a GOR with the ACC, and that the ACC had the TV deal with ESPN.

Hell, I don't know.... maybe.

I would expect that the GOR would only be affected if a new TV deal was due to expansion, where the ACC teams would have to vote, especially if it involved a new payout structure.

All we really know is there isn't anybody out there (media types) making fact based statements, and all their click bait speculation is a bunch of hooey.... especially from Dodd.

If the ACC adds a team or teams, they can re-open the ESPN tv deal.

If a new tv deal is reached, I suspect the current GOR terminates, but I can't confirm.

Clearly, if the GOR terminates. It would open the door for teams to leave if they're willing to pay the exit fee.

BUT, adding teams AND renegotiating the tv deal (which would both take a majority, maybe a super-majority vote) seems like a 150-ft putt when several if not most teams feel it could lead to their Power conference demise.
NJAggie
NJAggie
Or at least provides a better argument that the changes void the GoR.
GumbyFromPokeyLand
NJAggie said:

Or at least provides a better argument that the changes void the GoR.

The ACC expanding is essentially the same thing as voting to eliminate the GOR. Ain't happening.
NJAggie
Right so this alliance chat only goes to a point of negotiation IF ESPN wants it, and to me I think that means ESPN wants to open the door for an ACC exodus to the SEC. As the B1G has topped out and would have to cut per team payout to take ACC teams now.

We'll see, but either way in the end is better for the Big 12.
GumbyFromPokeyLand
I hear Fox has told the PAC they are uninterested in a tv deal going forward. Conversely, they've told the B12 they are excited to continue the relationship going forward.

So, does ESPN want the B12? Or do they pass on the B12 but tell the SEC to go get a couple? Is CBS a player? Amazon?

My concern is both Fox and ESPN have so much invested In the B1G and SEC respectively, that at best a bad tv deal with bad time slots, announcers and channels is what awaits us. CBS needs to get serious about the sport.
NJAggie
Yeah that's the same thing I'm picking up. It makes sense FOX has consistently signaled support since OU/UT left. They've said they love the remaining teams draw particularly on FS1 & FS2. FOX still needs some non B1G product and we seem to be their choice.

I think CBS could be a player. They want one game a week from one conference. Particularly if we get the PAC schools I think we have a great shot at that. We would give them great variety for their 3:30et game. Why I say the PAC teams add value here is the big money comes in for games that are going to hit that 4M viewer mark, and with more teams we have more chances to have compelling games, because we can't just count on Alabama doing it every week. Also CBS seems to like a bit of story, different settings, etc.... And more teams adds that.

Hearing that NBC is ready to pump up their ND contract to keep them as is, so they may not be in the picture either. Unless they'd want games on ND's off weeks.
CaliforniaCowboy
NJAggie said:

Yeah that's the same thing I'm picking up. It makes sense FOX has consistently signaled support since OU/UT left. They've said they love the remaining teams draw particularly on FS1 & FS2. FOX still needs some non B1G product and we seem to be their choice.

I think CBS could be a player. They want one game a week from one conference. Particularly if we get the PAC schools I think we have a great shot at that. We would give them great variety for their 3:30et game. Why I say the PAC teams add value here is the big money comes in for games that are going to hit that 4M viewer mark, and with more teams we have more chances to have compelling games, because we can't just count on Alabama doing it every week. Also CBS seems to like a bit of story, different settings, etc.... And more teams adds that.

Hearing that NBC is ready to pump up their ND contract to keep them as is, so they may not be in the picture either. Unless they'd want games on ND's off weeks.
CBS is much more than the public broadcast channel, they also have the CBS sports network, which shows several college football games weekly, and their streaming platform Peacock+, which is itching for programming.

also, I believe that NBC only has the rights to ND home games. They also have a sports network channel, which use to be called Outdoor Life or some such showing mostly fishing back then.
NJAggie
CBS has Paramount+, NBC has Peacock. You're right they already have some cable and streaming presence. I think CBS would be a great 2nd partner for us, as I think we do have FOX already. If we could wind up keeping 2 network slots a week, we could wind up making a bit more than we're making now as those are the big money games that drive a contract up.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.